Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wineries in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past couple of years there have been a significant number of new wineries opening in Essex County to join the two more established area wineries, Pelee Island Winery and Colio Estate Wines. Some estimates state that in a few years Essex County should have over 20 wineries. Some of these include:

Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery
Colchester Ridge Estate Winery
Mastronardi Estate Winery
Muscedere Vineyards
Pelee Island Winery Pavillion

http://winesofontario.org/html /winemakers.htm (see Lake Erie North Shore and Pelee Island)

With winery-related tourism becoming more popular both in North America and around the world, I was wondering about Detriot-area wineries. Are there many, both big and small? What are their reputations? How are their tours?

Much has been made of the "two-nation vacation" but spending a weekend visiting (and sampling) Windsor-area wineries one day and Detroit-area wineries the next, could be a popular draw for locals and tourists alike.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From 1973 through 1998 my Dad had a winery in Paw Paw. In 1980 he opened a winery in Dearborn that fermented grapes from the Finger Lakes region of New York but closed that also in 1998.

Both wineries offered tours but the facility in Paw Paw had 200 acres of vineyards surrounding it and a beautiful tasting room. Initially he grew Niagara, Catawba and Concord grapes but later grew many French Varietals developed at MSU.

The tours at the Dearborn winery stopped in 1987 following two break-ins. He later fermented a garlic wine in Dearborn that was used exclusively for Paul Newman Brands.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4427
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one in Clinton Township on Moravian but I think it closed up. Will find more on it...

Upinottawa

Post Number: 843
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

Looking at the www.michiganwines.com site, I have noticed that there are no wineries East of US 23. However, there appear to be 5 wineries between Jackson, Lansing and Toledo.

http://www.michiganwines.com/T our_Maps/travel_and_maps.html

That being said, there must be some smaller vineyards closer to Detroit that are not listed on that site. If there are not, I wonder why? Can the climates be that different (the Essex County wineries are about a 30 minute drive from Windsor)?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall reading that vineyards often do better on western coasts. Hence the California wineries. There are many other factors of course.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is certainly west-loaded when it comes to wineries (if the www.michiganwines.com site is a true reflection of Michigan wineries). Ontario's wineries appear to be located on north or south lake shores:

http://winesofontario.org/PDFs /WineRouteMap07.pdf

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9432
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lake effects have a lot to do with wineries as does the type of soil. Depending on the type of grape being grown soil has everything to do with how well the grapes will grow. The temperature in winter also affects the vine growth and natural sugars in the grape itself.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Clair Shores: http://www.redhatwine.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.