Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Macomb County's growing population will outbeat Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5865
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest population factual data from SEMCOG reported that the population of Macomb County now stands at 845,728 and Detroit's population is now 845,656. By September of 2007 Macomb's population will be greater than all of Detroit.

Looks like Detroit got some suburban competition.

KING KWAME!! DO SOMETHING QUICK!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

outbeat? Is that even a word? (sigh) we've been down this road already. Macomb is an entire county, Detroit is one city. Oh BTW, did you realize Oakland County is larger than Detroit also? (gasp!)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb county sucks

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 626
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cheap housing.. low crime rates? Why does macomb county suck again? Please justify that one.. Lets see Detroit.. High crime.. HIGH taxes.. High insurance.. let me put that in my computer.. is says.. DUH!

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is plenty of cheap housing in Wayne County..and the crime rates arent that low..and sry I don't have any written proof of that...Just that my fiance and her daughter live in Roseville and she complains about the crime a lot...The school her daughter goes to has been locked down twice in the last 2 months...Not to mention that I feel an opressive aura. every time I drive not only in roseville but several of the other cities around there...

I don't expect you to accept my justification..I just don't like it there...I perfer the downriver area myself...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

outbeat? Is that even a word? (sigh)

Hahahaha, you "outbeat" me to the post, Yak. Sad when I'm more interested in the "creative writing" in a subject line than the actual subject itself.

As for Macomb County, it doesn't suck if your idea of fun is sipping a 12-pack of Old Milwaukee while watching NASCAR with your 12 dogs. And there's nothing wrong with that if, you know, you're into that sorta thing. :-)

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on May 16, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another one for Danny, the population of Wayne County also outbeats exceeds that of the city of Detroit!

The rate of population growth in Oakland, Macomb and the non-Detroit portion of Wayne County has continuously exceeded the population growth rate of Detroit for more than 70 years running, so none of this should be a surprise to anyone.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County is what happens when officials let anyone build anything anywhere without concern for the impact it will have on infrastructure

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for Macomb County, it doesn't suck if your idea of fun is sipping a 12-pack of Old Milwaukee while watching NASCAR with your 12 dogs."

Hmmm, well, my idea of fun is sipping Chimay Grande Reserve while watching PBS with my 12 dogs. Guess that puts me in Oakland County, not Macomb. :-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County actually has some interesting spots: Romeo, the village of Utica, Mt. Clemens (which is undergoing rejuvenation more rapidly than Pontiac), St. Clair Shores and its relationship to the lake, and the old village center of Warren at Mound and Chicago roads.

I could even see Richmond turning into another Rochester in maybe 40 years. Of the older inner-ring burbs in Macomb, Eastpointe may hold the most promise. If only the city fathers there had not demolished most of the old town center buildings at 9 Mile and Gratiot... but such an atmosphere could be re-created eventually, if the vision is there.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like sort of a non-issue in my opinion. The metro area has had a larger population than the city for decades. The fact that one can point to an arbitrary piece of the metro area and say that it is larger than the city is hardly worth noting.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, Danny. Detroit has Wibaux County outbeat by a mile.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 530
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The growth of the 'burbs and suburban counties will not continue if the city and domestic auto industry continues to decline.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is to poor Oakland is to rich and Macomb is the average!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9188
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for Macomb County, it doesn't suck if your idea of fun is sipping a 12-pack of Old Milwaukee while watching NASCAR with your 12 dogs. And there's nothing wrong with that if, you know, you're into that sorta thing.

Macomb County has more educated people than many assume. Some of the inner rings are struggling but the county isn't the mecca of country bumpkins that it is stereotyped as. That said I don't find too many things in Macomb county to be worth going out of my way for but that is my preference.

Jt1

Post Number: 9189
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I am mistaken the info at this site shows that they trail state averages in bachelor and master degrees.

http://www.city-data.com/count y/Macomb_County-MI.html

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not surprising that Macomb County, one of the largest (in population) if not the largest in the United States without a four-year University, trails state averages in the granting of degrees by such institutions.

I'll bet Washtenaw County is above average.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4325
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well typically this thread has turned to ugly Macomb County bashing... well well.... I live there in SCS... and you have every right to bash Macomb County... 5 minute 911 police response time is to be reviled!!!

Living there with a Bachelors AND Masters Degree, low insurance costs and no local taxes! (Sorry, now that's hitting below the belt!) :-)

And yes Macomb County is sort of a cultural wasteland, which is why I live only a 12 minute freeway ride from the culturally rich Woodward corridor of Detroit.

(Message edited by Gistok on May 16, 2007)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not bashing, Gistok; my point is Macomb County ought to have a U given its population.

"no local taxes"? I think not. Relatively low perhaps, but not zero.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4326
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interestingly enough the east side of Detroit never had a university either. Maybe it's a west side thing.

And I meant "local income taxes".

Jt1

Post Number: 9191
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Washtenaw County is much higher than state average. The charts are poor because they show highest education level achieved and nothing on the Y axis.

http://www.city-data.com/count y/Washtenaw_County-MI.html

Wayne County is surprisingly close to state average but does trail.

http://www.city-data.com/count y/Oakland_County-MI.html

Oakland is considerably higher than state average.

If you want to see the stats for other counties (as of 2000, I believe) just substitute the county name in any of the links above.

http://www.city-data.com/count y/Oakland_County-MI.html

http://www.city-data.com/count y/Wayne_County-MI.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.