Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hi-Res Historic Photo's of Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was wondering if anyone had any resources on where one could find historic images of the city that could be printed and framed. I'm looking to outfit my office with as many pictures as I can find, and was hoping to find good quality images that would print well. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just picked up a nice book, "Historic Photos of Detroit" by Mary J. Wallace. It's $39.95 at Border's.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burton historical collection at the DPS. Sort through photos request high res scans at a price. Its worth it plus youll be helping to contribute to the DPS.
http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/burton/using_photos.htm

(Message edited by mdoyle on May 15, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Wayne State University's 'Virtual Motorcity' at http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=652434a7 ae86c533c7bea180581590eb;med=1;c=vmc;q1=aerial;rgn1=vm c_all;size=20;page=search;view =thumbnail

One point too on what you are attempting to do: You might want a high resolution photo (say about 300 DPI) if it is sitting on your desktop where you are just a few feet away. However, as you get further away from the photo (say on the wall in the office), the resolution can proportionally decrease as the image gets larger. For example a 8"x12" high res photo on your desk could be 2400 pixels by 3600 pixels, but that same image further away could be larger at 24"x36" (three times the size) still at 2400 pixels by 3600 pixels.

P.S. I noticed all this when I took my photos from my work desk and tried to put them on my living room wall. Just didn't work out keeping them at a small size and high res. They were further away so I might as well have blown them up...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.