Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » C'mon Kwame: Save something for the next mayor to sell. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we you should leave something for the next mayor to sell off or give away?

When Kwame Kilpatrick’s mother retires and he “takes” her job in Washington D.C., what will the next mayor have to sell off?

Every week there is something more to sell off. From parks, rec centers, golf courses, and COBO Hall, to 25 DPS schools (as of today) that he wants to turn over to outside entities, when does all this end? There is no doubt in my mind that 10 years from now, there will be no DOT or DWSD. The only thing Detroit will own is ghetto neighborhoods and soup kitchens.

Sorry to say this, but the mayor isn’t that good. He only can balance a budget when he lowers the salaries of city employees or sells something off.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you want the stuff to just sit there unused, not generating any income, while the city is held responsible for maintenance and insurance liability?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's one of the first mayors in decades to even attempt to measurably right-size the city government. It's been long overdue.

BTW, could we stop disrespectfully calling the man by his first name, and start calling him by his last name or simply 'mayor' like we do with just about every other mayor and person in public office in history?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell it all. The less government owns the better.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BTW, could we stop disrespectfully calling the man by his first name, and start calling him by his last name or simply 'mayor' like we do with just about every other mayor and person in public office in history?"

Thank you. That's something I've thought about for a while. It's really a respect issue. The only other example I can think of is 'Hilary' but that's because people are clarifying since her last name is Clinton.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, many love it that there is another Clinton so that they can get away with calling her by her first name. lol I swear, you can just hear the scorn dripping when many people use her first name.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is his name, he is an elected official, he works for us, he is Kwame

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5510
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is the only big city mayor I've ever heard referred to, disrespectfully, by his first name on a regular basis. Double standard? You better believe it.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We called Coleman by his first name when he was in office. Dennis Archer was almost always referred to as "Mayor Archer" rather than by his first name.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think its a matter of what rolls off the tongue the easiest, Mayor Kilpatrick or Kwame.
i don't think its disrespectful in a forum to use a first name. i'm sure in person people would address Kwame as Mayor Kilpatrick. just my opinion.

Regarding this threads topic, I see no point in the city holding onto to assets it can not maintain, manage or improve, so it should sell them to persons or groups that can.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree calling the mayor an elected official by his first name on a regular basis is disrespectful and on this forum he tends to be disrespected alot.

I don't see too many people calling LB Patterson "Brooks" everytime something comes up with his name attached...

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should always refer to an elected official by their surname and title. It is respectful. Also

SELL IT!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's because "Brooks" sounds goofy, "Kwame" doesn't and is easier to say (and type)

don't really agree with the respect/disrespect thing - hate that type of controlling attitude

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the city running things that could otherwise be done privately, why should the city run them? Please do sell them off to private/non-profit groups that will better manage them!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What i'd prefer is for a regional body to handle and take control of all regional attractions in the area... too much private control can lead to bad things happening

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9221
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So...you're saying 'the Big Diamond' is out of the question?!

He was in my backyard for a few minutes Friday night...he's larger than life.

I hear Kilpatrick, I think some little red gnome at the end of the rainbow, might be serving Vernors or a pint of Guinness.

I hear Kwame, I see ONLY this man at the helm of our city.

Might be disrespectful to some, but clearly descriptive and honorable to me. It is a very strong name for a strong personality.

He'll be 'your honor' the moment he gets rid of Christine Beatty and the henchmen.

I'll call him something else entirely when he finally finishes a Free Press Marathon.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 245
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city selling off its public assets is the right thing to do, considering its financial limitation. In many respects these entities will be in much better shape with private/other interests maintaining them.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9222
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leasing off public treasures...sounds like a better idea.

Need to discern between treasures and mere assets...they both look the same on paper.

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayor has used two methods to leverage city-owned assets to improve Detroit's fiscal condition.

The first is to transfer management of assets to nonprofit organizations without transferring ownership. The Detroit Zoo and Detroit Historical Museum are cases in point. These assets remain the property of the people of Detroit for all posterity (by nature of the legal agreements), but are held in trust by the Detroit Zoological Society and Detroit Historical Society. I believe this is a good arrangement for the city, for the attractions, and for the people.

The second method is to sell assets outright. The Rackham golf course in Huntington Woods is the foremost example. In this case, the sale of the land helps the city's finances, but may not be in the interest of the public (particularly the people of Huntington Woods). Only time will tell who benefits most.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Selling things off is treating the symptoms and not the disease. What are you going to do when the last asset is sold off and the ship still hasn`t been righted? You then have a city that is broke, and even worse off than before but, this has all been said before on another thread.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still don't understand the fascination with owning stuff. A city is a space for people to live and do business. So long as that space has the requisite infrastructure, facilities and attractions for people to access, who cares who owns the deeds. In fact there is ample evidence that the taxpayers are not served by city ownership of many assets. Its hard for the city to go broke if its hand and nose isn't into a million different things.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Giuliani loved being called Rudy, I'm sure Kilpatrick loves being called Kwame ...

Maybe we should call him Cheeks Jr., lol, isn't that was his mother's nicknamed? I think I remember a Colbert piece with her in it.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell DDOT.

It was the grossly incompetent DDOT that ran late buses into Livonia and the illegal DARTA agreement that that directly caused the SMART buses to leave Livonia.

Honest taxpayers like myself want to support mass transit but we have no mass transit leadership in Lansing.

SELL DDOT, SELL DDOT.

SELL it now and let someone who knows transportation run it by getting both state and federal money and getting people to ride the bus.

SEL DDOT Kwame.

Kwame, show the suburbanites that you care by selling DDOT today, so we can have a real public transit system that the public wants, will use and will support.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/remain3.html

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we could just have the city go into bankruptcy?
You have to balance the budget and I don't see how they can come up with money they need unless they sell off what they can.
I can't see calling Kwame "Your Honor" when he hasn't done much honorable.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a private equity company like Cerberus buys the city, radically restructures it and flips it back to public ownership?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5512
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW, could we stop disrespectfully calling the man by his first name, and start calling him by his last name or simply 'mayor' like we do with just about every other mayor and person in public office in history?

quote:

Livernoisyard,

The voters did speak for Walberg, but, not by as much as he should have (51/46). Sharon Reinger, a no-name, organic-farming liberal Democrat, gave him a legitimate race in a district that should not have never been competitive for her. Believe me, that district is nowhere near as Republican as it used to be. Thank you for that, Dubya, and a GOP spinning out of control before our eyes. lol

Walberg's going to have to fight for his political life every subsequent election.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 22, 2007)

Dubya, eh?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with selling the buildings. They're going to sit and rot whether the city owns them or a slumlord owns 'em, so the city might as well get something.

I posed a question a while back: Why not sell things like the Merrill Fountain in Palmer Park if you can get a couple of million. The thing has tons of history, but it's sitting dry and falling apart. Might as well sell it to a city where it would be appreciated. City shoulda sold the figures off the Lee Plaza, too, once they were already torn down by scumbags.

Trainman

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should sell Detroit to the french, since your honorable mayor wants to tax french fries to keep his union bus drivers employed.

Kwame Kilpatrick the mayor never did show up at Livonia city hall to fight for the SMART buses like he should have.

It's unfortunate that Detroit has a mayor who won't show up at meetings where we all really need him. I'm sure he could have saved SMART if he blasted the city council of Livonia on TV for not caring about the minorities and the low income and the disabled citizen's who rely on SMART and DDOT.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think any thing owned, or operated by the city of Detroit needs to be sold off. The money could be used to pay down the debt, and the farming out of all services will not only free the city of those obligations, but the service will improve. They need to streamline from the top down: from Kwame down to Joe six pack. And get rid of the income tax crap too.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's just too bad the mayor, kwame, can't sell the whole kit and kaboodle, the entire city as a package to someone who could actually run it in a bountiful manner.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sell=privatize....ABSOLUTELY.

John_galt
Username: John_galt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the military (which the gov't is the only one authorized to run per the Constitution), there isn't anything that the government can run more efficiently than private industry. When there is no competition, there is no incentive to become more efficient or provide better service, thus leading to the state of affairs we see now.

Of course when privatization is brought up, the city employees and unions will scream bloody murder. Their motivation seems to lie more with preserving their employment, and not with what is best for the city/state.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The state of Indiana is doing the same thing, or should I say the governor of Indiana is doing the same thing, except he's not selling anything, he's leasing things, like the toll road.

Very heated topic, or at least it was.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome John_galt....Love the handle, and all it implies. We could use another capitalist on these forums.

Trainman

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very serious about DDOT being sold. We could import monkeys from the jungles of Africa to run DDOT and see an improvement as evidenced by the many complaints in Livonia about DDOT at our city hall which along with the grossly incompetent, illegal and immoral DARTA effort caused the voters to opt out of SMART.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 633
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have my vote and support. The dynamic of inefficient and poorly run government operated endeavors is nearly universal (and, even that, might be an understatement).

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kindly name an instance where privatization has caused savings and efficiency.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best to be private and remain so. Personally, Each and every Physician practice that has been privatized is an example of the successes. As the industry has done this over the last 10 years to a very large extent, it is the best example I can think of.

True that the original employer was not the government directly, but a not for profit hospital largely payed by the government in the form of Medicare/caid.

Other examples are harder to come by...why? Government does not readily let go of power/control...even if they are killing themselves by not doing so.

In the bigger picture, contrasting the successes of private industry versus government run services is a great illustration. Of course, not all businesses are a success, however, when they fail, the market provides a replacement that doesn't. When the government fails in a business venture, it just limps along like a zombie/the undead in perpetuity.

Trainman

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SMART no longer qualifies or receives federal transit grants as a region anymore because of discrimination against the low income and minorities. In addition, SMART receives very little revenue sharing for the handicapped from MDOT due to massive state level cuts for public bus service.

Transit advocacy groups want to tax fast food because they know very well that the days of federal and state transit funding are history. They are invited to challenge me on television but they won't because they know the TRUth.

Post here and challenge me on TV.

If I do not see any posts then I know that there are no posters on DY that are very SMART or maybe they just happen to have missed this post.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.