Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Haunted? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leslied
Username: Leslied

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are some haunted areas in Detroit? I have heard that the Masonic Temple is very haunted.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/78553.html

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2172
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a recent story in The Source about legendary hauntings in Utica.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenfield Village is haunted (although not in Detroit, some of the buildings which are haunted originally sat in Detroit).

My house is also haunted (but we already went through that a while back on another thread).

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting list: http://theshadowlands.net/plac es/michigan.htm

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a house in Rosedale Park that had all kind of "bumps in the night" noises that I could never identify. When we moved to Las Vegas, before I shut the back end of the U-Haul up, I called out to the ghost for last call if he/she wanted to come along.

That sucker made it. Our new house in Nevada had the same night time bumps and unexplained noises as the Rosedale Park house. We always talked nice to the ghost and he/she did us no harm.

Then last year we moved again to a newly-built house in Henderson. Our friend seems to have stayed behind; no unexplained noises at all.

Dang. I miss him/her.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The David Whitney House, and even to an extent Belle Isle. They say that Indian Spirits surround the island protecting a Indian Girl that lives on the Island that almost always appears as a harmless deer, but can transform into her girlish form at anytime.

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2521 Wendell in SWD was haunted. She was harmless though. I told my mom what I saw and described her. She mentioned the incident to the lady who lived next door and she told Mom that I described the woman who lived there before us to a tee. The house is gone now.

8132 Whittaker Apt. #304... things would disappear for long periods then reappear in totally different locations. I could turn the radiators completely off and they would turn themselves back on as soon as I was out of the room. I could stand there and watch and nothing would happen... then leave and they'd be hissing as soon as I was out of the room. I gave up and started keeping the windows open during the winter.

7921 Medina in Delray was haunted. That dump needs to be destroyed in the worst way. Whatever that was that I saw there... it was pure evil. I still get uneasy thinking about it. According to arial maps, that house still stands.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 290
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some houses in Grosse Pointe that are haunted. My wife use to live in a haunted house when we were in high school. I think it was Mrs Schlotman of GP Shores since the house was located on her property.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher -

Did you ever find that floor sander that your ghost moved from the upstairs bedroom?

You sure have had many ghostly occurrences! I'm a bit jealous as I've only thought I heard someone say my name out loud once when no one else was around. It was/still is very creepy.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I knew why... the house I live in now (not in Detroit) was built in 1980, and I know everyone who ever lived here. My cousin who lived here was killed in a freak accident, but he didn't live in this house at the time of his death. Still, I have seen,heard and felt things here. I caught my daughter talking to someone who wasn't there once and asked her about it. She said it was "that boy". I asked, "what boy?" and she said, "that boy with bred hair and spreckles." My cousin had red hair and freckles. She'd never seen him because he died several years before she was born, and he was an adult then. Her description was perfect,of my cousin as a child, but what I have seen could not have been him. I wish I could find an explanation. It is unnerving at times, but I've never been afraid here.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some dude committed suicide in my house, it's pretty calm around here unless I have company. He especially likes females. I hear all kindsa noises when the lights go off, and it 'taint from me and the lady friend neither.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, you guys are freaking me out - and I have to go to bed soon! :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that the Bonstelle Theater is still haunted, especially during dress rehearsals where the old lady supposedly still stomps her cane at weak performances.

Spooky.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never did find that floor sander! My dogs refuse to go upstairs and they bark at nothing (in the middle of the room and they are looking at someone or something that isn't visible to me!). I also came home the other day to find all my windows shut (it had been storming). I left them all open when I went to work! Freaky to say the least!!

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in the dump on Medina, I had this huge Rottweiler. He wasn't afraid of anything... probably the best friend I ever had... but that dog refused to go into or near the middle bedroom or to the basement. I could take him to the back door even and every hair on that dog's back would stand up, he'd whine like crazy and he would not take another step forward.

It didn't matter how hot the weather either... that middle bedroom was always cool/cold. That is the only place that I have experienced anything supernatural that I was actually afraid.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teacher, I can't believe that! I want to say that you lent it to a friend who never returned it or something plausible like that. But I know that didn't happen. Someone else posted a 'windows closed when they had been left open' occurrence. What a helpful spirit!

Now, Savannah, your Medina occurrences are just terrible. I want to say to you that it's all in your head (and your dog's), but I bet it wasn't. You never found out if anyone was murdered there or anything did you? Your 'pure evil' statement makes me shudder.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, I had heard that that house was connected by a tunnel to a bar on Jefferson and that there were tunnels leading from the house to the river, that were used during The Prohibition. I am not inclined to believe that story... however, there was a hole about the size of a man's fist beside the water heater that you could drop something in and it would go on forever before you'd hear it hit bottom. I tried once to shine a flashlight in the hole but at the end of the shaft of light was just darkness. I don't know what was down there. I attributed all the noises I heard in that house to my imagination. When I finally saw someone (who wasn't there) was when I knew it wasn't my imagination.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a small town in Italy, the priest was giving his Sunday sermon. He asked "if anyone believed in ghosta's, please stand up" and the whole church stood up. Then he asked "if anyone talked to a ghosta, remain standing" and half the church sat down. Then he asked "if anyone had sex with a ghosta, remain standing". Everyone sat down except Luigi. the priest said, "Luigi, you had sex with a ghosta? Luigi replied "Oh father, I thought you said a GOATA.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:0

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 892
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about a ghost in Indian Village that goes door to door. It's a little girl who's trying to sell a basket of apples. Depression-era? Would that bring a chill to your spine? "Hey, mister ..."

Cambrian

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ever watch those cheesy Ghost hunter programs on the Travel Channel? It's these crackpots followed around by this cheeseball medium guy. They spend over nights in castles and everyone runs around screaming at the faintest little noise, or cursing in fear and all you hear are the beep overs.

Peanut757
Username: Peanut757

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hear all kinds of things in the house I lived in when I lived in Detroit. According to a local, my home was where a 23 year old black man was killed during the riots. Its on the east side.

When I first moved in, (April 2005) I went in my room and closed the door. I always sleep with my door closed. I woke up and there was a figure of a man standing in my doorway and my door was opened. It didnt scare me, but it really annoyed me because I was too tired to have to deal with seeing things.
Then, there was a time that I was laying across my bed sleep, and I woke up because I felt something that felt like i was being choked to death. I couldn't move and I couldn't open my eyes. YES I WAS AWAKE BUT I COULDN'T MOVE OR OPEN MY EYES.. I decided that enough was enough so I moved.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

love reading about this stuff, these stories are great ~ keep them coming! :-)

Cambrian

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a story on Ira Glass's program last year about a family that was experiencing hauntings in their house. They had all the classic signs. Seeing apparitions at night, hearing chains dragging around, moans, wailing. Just like some classic 1800s story. The cause? A faulty furnace was slowly poisoning the family with deadly CO, which they luckily discovered before it eventually killed them. Glass theorized that in fact all the ghost stories we heard from the 1800s were quite possibly hallucinations of individuals suffering from CO poisoning. He pointed out that prior to Edison's light bulb people lighted their homes with CO emitting whale oil or fuel oil burning lamps. If that's at all true, it might be a good idea for some of us to buy a CO detector.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Savannahsmiles,

from what I was told as a child Medina Street has a very complex and tattered past. I have to call my Grandfather for confirmation but I remember hearing stories of a woman who lived on Medina that had very immoral and illicit actions and never got caught. This woman had a name that slips past me right now and I can’t remember for the life of me. I also believe that many gypsies lived on that side of Jefferson. It is funny the memories that come up; my great grandmother lived on Medina.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut757, it sounds like you're describing sleep paralysis. I've experienced it myself. It's nothing to be concerned about.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was USING my sander and left it to grab a soda. Came back and it was GONE! I have also experienced a cat walking across my bed and myself(I was awake) only to look and see no cat. I am only the 3rd owner of my house and, to my knowledge, no one actually died IN the house.

I'm not afraid since my ghost is helpful. I think it was me that posted about the windows on the other haunted house thread.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones I know about, though I'm sure they've been mentioned before, are the Bonstelle Theater, The Whitney, The Botsford Inn in Farmington, and the Cemetary in downtown Farmington. I lived by the Botsford Inn for awhile, and I didn't understand what went on there. I never ever saw any cars there, but you would see lights on inside. I'm sure that's all very logical, but the story is that Clara Ford haunts the place. As for the cemetary in Farmington, the story goes that very strange things go on there. One story I heard was that if you put your car in nuetral at the bottom of the hill, it would slowly roll upwards. Word of this place got out pretty good, and so its pretty secured, and cops watch it constatly.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, you guys who live in Detroit just HAVE to go to Savannah's old house on Medina Street and start digging next to the water heater!

Wouldn't that be a fun outing? Where exactly is Medina Street? Tunnels, illicit activities, gypsies, ghostly apparitions - it's so cool!

I just love these stories! OoooooooooWeeeeeeeeOoooooooooo :-)

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard the Detroit Boat Club is haunted. Anyone else? The Whitney is a common one that I've heard from a couple of people who worked there. I wish I could say the same about my house, but nothing cool yet. I wish I had a paranormal story about where my lawnmower and weed whacker went, but it was probably crackheads and not the Red Dwarf.

Rfban

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Medina Street is in Delray south of Jefferson.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 484
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rfban

Rfban

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, you can see Medina St. on Mikem's post about Delray streets.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/101967.jpg

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Rf!

Medina looks like a short street. I've never been to that area of Detroit. Is that the area that would be to your right if you are driving east into Detroit on I-94? Like where it is very, very industrial?

I had always wondered who lived in that area and why. It seemed so bleak.

Kristina
Username: Kristina

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if it's haunted per se, but I always see zombies around the Masonic.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never believed in ghosts until after moving into my first house. There were two bedrooms upstairs. I used the smaller one as a dressing room and had an old ice bucket behind the door that I would throw my spare change in. It was quite heavy. I never closed the door to that room - I lived alone and there was no reason to. I would see strange movements/shadows near the doorway occasionally when lying on my bed. Thought I was imagining things but my smaller dog would frequently jump from the bed, stand at that doorway and bark without passing through it. One morning I woke up and that ice bucket with change was in the middle of the stair landing and the door to the spare bedroom was closed. Again, I lived alone there.

I left a friend of mine alone to use my computer while running some errands and when I returned he stated "you have ghosts in this house". I asked why and he replied "I clearly heard footsteps upstairs, went up there and there was nobody there". I never mentioned the other occurances to him but just mentioned that I knew there were ghosts and I don't let them bother me and they really never did again.

Really, I never believed in this kind of nonsense but I do now.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 491
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the late night scary story Why.

Welcome to DY!

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, you are correct... the Delray area is very bleak. It is a poor community. I would love to see something good happen there. Not on Medina Street though... LOL. The best thing that could happen to that street would be if the fire dept. were to use it for a nice big controlled burn. There isn't that much left on it anyway. To give you some idea of what the homes are worth on that street, I was young and couldn't afford to pay big rent so I "bought" 7921 for $300 cash and a motor cycle. When I left, I left everything I had except the clothes I had on and my purse and car keys. I didn't even have shoes. Whoever lives there now just moved in without permission from anyone... but they are more than welcome to it.

Rfban

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody else know of the "Witch of Delray?" Savannahsmiles, did you live on the south side of the street? My Grandfather said that "The Witch of Delray" killed 5 or 6 borders in her house on Medina and collected the insurance. He also said that she would consistently make whisky on the property. Apparently, as I wrongly mentioned before, she was caught.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 897
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For which crime? Killing boarders is a time-honored tradition, but making bad whiskey is punishable by death -- or at least by having your tires punched.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban, I lived right on the corner of West End and Medina. It is the only house left on any corner there. I can't imagine that house being used as a boarding house. It might've been grander in its day...

Steph48209
Username: Steph48209

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live on medina st now 2 doors down from 7921 savannahsmiles about how many years was it ago that u lived there

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle (BI) was definitely haunted in the late 70's. At the time, my girlfriend and I would often go out to the less frequented areas of BI and we'd "hear things". BI was always creepy in the desolate areas after midnight.

And the Indian Girl/harmless deer referred to by Urbanize was out there back then as well. She would appear in the large wooded area were the deer used to roam freely after midnight.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steph how long have you lived there? I lived there in 1984. From the arial photo I just looked at, it looks like the house next to mine is gone now. There were three houses still standing across the street then. Now they are all gone. There was an old couple lived on Medina a few steps down on my side... the lady's name was Ms. Ruby. I've often wondered how long they stayed there and whatever became of them. They were nice but kept to themselves. The McCrackens (who lived waaaay down the other end of Medina by the water) were mean to them.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool story Vetalalumni, I'd love to see a ghost! I watch those cheesy programs on the travel channel and they always try to play off floating dust or bugs flying around on the IR camera shot as spirits.

What was Mr McCracken's first name, Phil?

(Message edited by cambrian on June 05, 2007)

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McCrackens were Richard and Janet - both passed away, and their kids were Tom, Kevin, Mike, Franny and Paula.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROFL Cambrian! Phil McCracken! I'm thinking they were probably not connected.

Steph48209

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only bout 3 months now theres only ur house left and mine and the one next 2 mine a lady named dorthey lives there with her husband richard and there daughter i came on this site lookin 4 info on if anybody new about any hauntings on gates st in southwest cause thats the house i lived in b4 i moved on medina and there where strange things there that we seen and heard gates st is off of carbon back by the salt mines but instead i found stuff about medina very interesting

Steph48209

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LIVE AT 7881 MEDINA IT IS NOW 2 DOORS DOWN FROM UR OLD HOUSE ONE OF THE McCrackens kids now live in ur old house

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone with a camera needs to get down to Medina Street and do a photo-tour.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. I had a feeling it would be a McCracken living in that dump. I wonder which one...

I walked thru your house and the one next to it right after they became empty. Due to issues with crumbling gas pipes in many houses in the area, the city told the families in those two houses to either update the plumbing or move. They seemed very well kept... I guess except for the pipes.

Rfban, now that I think back, when I lived there, there was a rather large house across the street that had sat empty for ever so long, then a family from Texas moved in with the Mullins family for a few days, then opened up that house and squatted there. They only used one room, so I don't really know how big it was... It had an upstairs though. I wonder if that was the house of the Witch of Delray?

Steph48209

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im not sure which one is living in that house now but i know the sister lives in 1 house down the street the brother lives in the house next 2 her and then 2 guys in ur old house the funny part is my house is the most normal looking one on the block but that family seems 2 be assholes please pardon my speech but the are they seem 2 think they own the block or something i have heard strange things about medina street and it is very nice 2 know that it was all true u know im good as long as nothing bothers me i dont have a uneasy feeling in this new house no sort of activity or anything but my old house on gates st had a little boy in it that we all had seen and strange foot sounds from the attic i never felt comfortable in that house even if i was alone i always felt like some1 or something else was there with me

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never felt comfortable at 7921. There was always something not quite right about that house. I've seen and heard things at other locations, but nothing ever bothered me until that house. Your house, the one next to you, and the one that used to be next to it were always the normal looking houses on that street. The rest just always looked trashy.

Yes, the McCracken's have always thought they owned Medina Street. The parents moved into 8134 about the time God created dirt and they have had a foothold there ever since. A word of advice, try not to P!$$ them off... I'm not running my mouth about your neighbors... I am genuinely concerned for your safety.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Medina Street = "McCrackenville" Mike works for me and I own the property on Medina across from the houses btwn. Cary St. and the Ford Property. Kevin owns the house on the corner of West End and Medina, Fran and Tom live in the middle block and Mike lives where he always has in Richard and Janet's house....They are a very interesting family to say the least.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steph, R U HAWT?

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billybbrew, OMG! So much info from my past! I'm impressed... that Mike actually "works" for anyone! I guess it is possible for anyone to grow up. I'm surprised Mike and Franny live anywhere, because the last time I saw her, she was really messed up. Mike used to hang with Chuck Whitman, and he looked like walking death last time I saw him as well. Tom was the best one of them all, accept for he liked to beat on his women (in the McCracken genes). He always left the theft and arson to his bros, though. How long have you owned the property across from those houses? Do you remember Terry Whited? Roger Whited?

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With such little info on the McCracken's you guys have mentioned here, I'm scared.

The only mental image I can muster is an old X-Files episode "Home" about the Peacock family who were inbred killers.

It was the creepiest episode ever and I really hope that they are far far better than I'm picturing. :-)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it like living in the middle of that industrial mega center? i mean zug island to the south and the sewage treatment center to the west.
I ask honestly and am not trying to be rude. Any spirit stuck there would have to be pure evil!

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareast, speaking for myself, I felt it was terribly depressing, but then my whole existence back then was depressing. Everything was dirty. It didn't matter how often you dusted, by the end of the day, there was another thick layer. Zug Island smelled, but it did not compare to the soap factory. The air was just dirty. Janet McCracken would hang her wash out in their back yard and her whites were always beautiful. I don't understand how she did it. It could have been because I was so depressed that I couldn't see anything good about it. Once I left Medina and moved to Vanderbilt, I felt different about the area. The upper end close to Dearborn was pretty decent. The people were mostly poor but they seemed to care about their homes. There are good and bad people no matter where you go. In a place like Delray, people are often looked upon as being trash, simply because the area they live in looks so bad, but things are not always as they seem. Sometimes it pays to not be too judgemental. Not that I think you are being judgemental. I'm sure you just have never experienced a life like that. I am glad you asked, and I hope I helped.

As far as the spirits... I can't speak for every one that I am sure lingers there, but what I saw... evil is the only way I can describe it. I still get chills when I think about it.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will admit that southwest always had real nice people and vibrant neighborhoods. I like southwest but I hate the industrial nature of it. It is a shame that eventually most residents will likely be moved out by growing industry as most of it in the cities long term plan is zoned industrial....though it does make sense given the heavy industry located there.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that when Richard died he left a house to each of his kids. We own the old dredging yard. We bought it back in the mid-1980's when it looked like an abandoned dump. We have used it for our marine construction business. Last summer we took a huge initative (and a huge amount of money) and cleaned up the yard, getting rid of all the scrap and almost all the garbage. Mike is actually a reliable, hard worker, he's just got his own unique personality. He can actually be hilarious. My friends think I should make a recording of the things he says and sell cd's. He tells a story about a hooker that was pistol whipped down there, and if you know Mike, you know his voice is very distinctive. We were going to call the cd "Mike McCracken: Pistol Whipped Whore". His arms are huge, and he's as strong as a mule. He really has no visible wrists, his hands are just a continuation of his arms. Tom drives truck, but I personally think Kevin (and of course Paula) are the most "normal" ones in the family. I sure wouldn't want to be on their bad side and when I was a young 18 year old kid living on the tugboat down there, I was scared of them too!!! I can understand how people think they own the block, that's how we came up with the nickname "McCrackenville", but to be honest, they keep the empty lots across from Tom and Fran's houses mowed, the sreet gutters are clean, the porches are painted, etc. etc. If you look close you can see that they do take care of what they have, even if it isn't much....

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never known any McCracken who didn't take care of what they had, but if you got on their bad side, they wouldn't hesitate to destroy what was yours. Mike always talked in that strange voice, but if he got enough alcohol in him, from time to time, he would forget and talk "normal" for a few words. Very comical. Mike used to raise Pit Bulls when he lived in the big house on the corner of Dearborn and Thaddeus. I was terrified of those dogs. Tom was like his dad... always drove a truck their whole lives as far as I know. I don't think I remember Kevin ever doing anything but fixing up old cars. He was good at it... don't know how legal they were though LOL. I don't know that I would ever trust the McCracken's, due to old fears, but it is nice to hear some positive things about them. I am genuinely pleased to have come across someone who knows them. It has been a long time... :-)

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if there is any truth to any of this. It isn't all in Detroit, either, but thought it was interesting. Scroll down to Michigan.

http://www.wintersteel.com/Hau nted_Placesp5.html

Cdent
Username: Cdent

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in Detroit but an old house in flat rock i was working on putting in a new sink,tub,etc. it was the first and only time I had a real life unexplainable experience. I was the only one their because the owner had not moved in yet and I was bringing material in from the attached garage through an old wooden screen door that connected the garage to the kitchen. well the screen door had one of those hook and eye latches on it and it latched from the kitchen side. any way I keep getting the willies from this place and after the first time i went into the garage to get some supplies, the door latched itself from the inside.
I had to use the house key and go back through the front door to get back in. I blew it off as a fluke. maybe the door just slammed behind me and the latch just happened to fling up and lock.

20 mins later no crap it happened again. this time when i got back inside I open and closed the screen door about 100 times and could not get it to latch by itself. so i went on working. after the 4th time in about 3 hours having to let myself in the front door, I got pissed and taped the latch down with a piece of duct tape! Ill be damned if a ghost is going to fool me again. I had a job to do damn it. after that it happened one more time and the piece of duct tape was on the floor! I told the ghost that I give up and will be done in a few hours to stop screwing with me.

I did the job and got the heck out of their! now I do not know what it was I never seen it or anything but its a true story. I just wish the dead would stay that way and not screw with me again.

Cdent

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in Detroit but an old house in flat rock i was working on putting in a new sink,tub,etc. it was the first and only time I had a real life unexplainable experience. I was the only one their because the owner had not moved in yet and I was bringing material in from the attached garage through an old wooden screen door that connected the garage to the kitchen. well the screen door had one of those hook and eye latches on it and
it latched from the kitchen side. any way I keep getting the willies from this place and after the first time i went into the garage to get some supplies, the door latched itself from the inside.
I had to use the house key and go back through the front door to get back in. I blew it off as a fluke. maybe the door just slammed behind me and the latch just happened to fling up and lock.

20 mins later no crap it happened again. this time when i got back inside I open and closed the screen door about 100 times and could not get it to latch by itself. so i went on working. after the 4th time in about 3 hours having to let myself in the front door, I got pissed and taped the latch down with a piece of duct tape! Ill be damned if a ghost is going to fool me again. I had a job to do damn it. after that it happened one more time and the piece of duct tape was on the floor! I told the ghost that I give up and will be done in a few hours to stop screwing with me.

I did the job and got the heck out of their! now I do not know what it was I never seen it or anything but its a true story. I just wish the dead would stay that way and not screw with me again.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cdent, that is creepy.

Here lately, every now and then, I will smell something in my house that is out of place... like cigarette smoke or men's cologne unlike anything that my husband wears. Neither of us smoke or is around cigarette smoke.

Cdent

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

savannahsmiles, you better hide the matches :-) !

I have a guy I work with that lives in a fairly new house in Brighton twp. he says that something keeps shutting off his alarm clock and moving it into the bathroom. his wife and him both swear its not either of them playing a joke on the other. they also have had other items in the med cab. moved / shifted to other shelfs. even found their toothbrushes in the toilet once. this one loves to play. His wife is f reeked out and wants to move. cant say i blame her.

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cdent, Whatever is here, it doesn't scare me at all... just annoys me to no end. Like I said before, the only supernatural thing that ever really frightened me was on Medina St. Obviously, it can't be too bad, since there is someone living there -- evidently for a long time. Of course, I don't necessarily think that everyone has the ability to experience the supernatural in the same way. Or maybe they just choose to ignore it. I don't know.

As for your colleague and his wife, it doesn't sound as if their spook is menacing really... just sounds mischievous to me. I hope she calms down and tries to explore it a bit. I would love to hear more about their experiences.

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Savannahsmiles, Is there any way I can chat with you privately? I wanted to talk to you about Medina St but don't want to put it on the forum? My email address is Mattric430@yahoo.com

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattric, I emailed you.

Mattric43

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo is so slow. I haven't got it yet.

Mattric43

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I didn't get it. Can you try one more time?

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattric43, I resent the email to Mattric430@yahoo.com. :-)

Miken123
Username: Miken123

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone! This is my first post but I've read this forum as long as i've been in the metro-detroit area (almost 4 weeks now) But enough introduction!!

After reading these posts yesterday and the day before I decided to go down to Medina on my way home (from Dearborn to Royal Oak). I found it and drove by desperately looking for 7921 on a house without looking terribly out of place or lost.

Billybbrew - maybe I drove right past you? A bigger guy was standing by the fenced yard in front of the fire hydrant where some kids were splashing in the water. I was in a pickup.

I didn't get a long look at any of the houses but the person above who posted about the people in Delray certainly not being all bad is correct. I drove around Delray for a good 20 minutes today and a little yesterday trying to find Medina/exploring (it was right under my nose). Lots of my people (Hispanics) in some spots where it reminded me of some areas near me back home in Northern. VA. I know there are many great hardworking families just trying to give their kids a better chance at it all! :-)

No ghosts during my drive by tho!

Steph48209

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha u drove part my stepdad and little sisters

Burningwheel
Username: Burningwheel

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut, that is a wild story, creepy as hell. Cdent, yours is as well. crazy stuff

(Message edited by burningwheel on June 15, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.