Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Kite boarding in detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Davidmausolf
Username: Davidmausolf

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm finally going to be moving up to Detroit from Florida, probably one of the few under 25 people doing this, but I have been increasingly been involved in a sport called "kite boarding".

http://www.kiteboardingmag.com /index.jsp

The main thing kite boarders need is water + wind = kite boarding. Is there any good spots on Lake Erie that have wind, and or what time of day would they be good to check out?

Maybe Michigan will be the next Kite boarding Mecca.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for curiosity, is that the reason for the move to MI?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9424
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit river is great for kite boarding. I have seen a few people doing it last year.

Lake Erie is huge so there is really no problem with wind as long as there is a breeze that day.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9149
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anywhere around where they can be rented. Sounds like fun.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple friends of mine own a skate/snowboard shop in Ann Arbor.

http://www.redbellyboardshop.c om/

One of the owners, Alex, is very involved in Kiteboarding around here. I would give them a holler.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9150
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If skate/snowboad shops may have info I believe that there is also one in Dearborn and Ferndale/Ro area. I want to say one is/was in GP but don't know if it is still there.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Windsurf Company in Novi and W. Bloomfield would be a good bet closer to the city. I'm pretty sure they give lessons and possibly demo kiteboards

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like Michigan would be a great place for this sport as there are more lakes than Minnesota. Not sure about the conditions needed from the wind, but it is generally outta the northwest.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear I posted in this thread. What the heck happened to it?

Anyway, I think this looks like a ton of fun. How you get started was my main Q

Davidmausolf
Username: Davidmausolf

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im moving up here for a job, who would have guessed there is companies growing in Michigan, I'm kind of glad to be going up to the MI.

I'll check out the shop in ann arbor, and found a site for Detroit Kite Boarders!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have an added feature to all watersports found nowhere else, dodging stray bullets. kidding, in actuality, the rivers and lakes are rarely talked about in national media. This is one of the best places in the country to live for all types of woods and watersports. I went fishing on a lake just 45 minutes from Detroit the other day, putting my boat in the water, I could see 7 feet straight down to the bottom. The water was crystal clear. With the color of the rocks and the sun shining on it, was absolutely beautiful. You'll love Michigan. I don't know of any other place in the country where so many different bodies of water can be chosen for activities.

Farrer
Username: Farrer

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Western Lake Michigan shores best kiteboarding in state. Best in spring/early summer (like now, today in fact...30+SW wind) and late summer, early fall.

From where in FL? My best kiteboard beach Palm Beach county, Briny Breezes (formerly "Dog") beach, behind Nomad Surf Shop. Familiar to you, David?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.