Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I Have Been Around... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this forum and have been around lurking for the past few years and finally decided to inject some input into certain discussions.

I am from Milwaukee, but I have an interest in all the Rustbelt cities of the upper Midwest. Detroit is fascinating for the simple fact of what happened to your great city in what seems such a short period of time. All industrial cities of the United States experienced what Detroit has been through, on different scales and to various degrees.

This forum is totally amazing. I have learned so much from fellow posters, if I can consider you fellow posters, since I have just been lurking. Interest in Detroit has brought me to your city for several visits. Each visit I discover something new.

Again, thanks, props again to such a great group, and you should see me around. I would like some feedback from fellow Milwaukeeans, present or former, I have seen both in this forum. I wish Milwaukee had a group like this.

brewcitypunk

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are a crazy-strong people who breathed reddish air with dangerous metals for years, and are easily spotted wherever we end up by our character.

The forum is just a reflection of that, I think.
I like it too.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a casual forum member. More on the memory side than current issues. I applaud your initial post. Anyway WELCOME!

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we remind you of youse over there.

So start a forum there!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We are a crazy-strong people who breathed reddish air. "

That was rust.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7399
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry, Ray, please don't mislead. According to my great-grandfather, when Packard "cleaned out their stacks" (always in the middle of the night) the air was yellowish, not reddish. And other than premature deaths and some odd twitches, everyone was normal. In fact, we think that the cigarette ad "Take A Puff Of Springtime" originated in Detroit, we can't verify it tho.

Welcome to the great discussions at DetroitYes!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5322
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brewcitypunk, welcome to Forum.

jjaba loves your Milwaukee white ceramic house numbers, given away after re-numbering. Other cities have them, but yours are the gold standard.
What yr. was that?

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 469
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brewcity says:

I love this forum and have been around lurking for the past few years and finally decided to inject some input into certain discussions.

I must ask; how have you done it? Haven't you wanted to give your opinion?

I wish I were more like you.

Welcome to opinionland. :-)

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I have tiles from 1893 in my basement, just an afterthought from some prior tenant. Thank god the tiles ended up downstairs. Cream city brick, Polish flats and those ceramic tiles, which have always reminded me of the tiles layed into the sidewalks of New Orleans.

Kathinozarks, I had some real crazy registration issues when I first registered. The problems didn't go away after several attempts of trying to solve the problem. So I was just happy reading the forum. Bulletmagnet actually made me try my registration again. Love Bullet or hate Bullet, he is an original on the forum. By the way, I love Bulletmagnets photos. Candid and powerful describe the photos he takes. OMG, Bulletmagnet might be a she, if so, all my apologies. Gritty urban photographers are usually male. A female who breaks that stereotype would make a fine wife indeed.

brew

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember playing on Farwell Field down the street from the Jones and Laughlin steel plant and others on 8 and Mound before there was an EPA and stack scrubbers, and I kid you not, the sun looked like a faint glow in the red, um, yellowish air at sunset.

It was like Mars!

btw, get your Polish fix here, brew; http://hamtramckstar.com/

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LarryinFLA,

I bet you have a TON of Detroit stories. Start a thread, I would love to hear about anything happening on Mound.

brew

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should say,"about anything that happened" on Mound.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have an intersection of "Mound" and "Big Beaver" here.

You can imagine the goins-on there!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brewcitypunk ends his post with :

"A female who breaks that stereotype would make a fine wife indeed."

That made me laugh! And Larry, I snickered when I read your last post. Ooooh, all the years I lived up there I never thought of the intersection like that! (is that what you were getting at, or do I have a dirty mind? Oh geez, now I've probably embarrassed myself.)

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd also like give a river rat "yo" to Brewcitypunk. As you've probably gathered in your reading of various threads, many of us do not live in lovely Detroit though we have an interest or tie of some sort. A large number of us are B&R (born and raised) exiles, some are just fascinated by Our City, others are new to town. It helps to have input from people who have lived elsewhere; we welcome you and your perspective.

And believe it or not, the spirit of Richard Nickel lives in more than a few Detroit ladies, yours truly among them. A woman used to do my tune ups and engine work on my '64 Impala; she was superb! We tend not to fit generalized molds, which I suppose is part of our special charm...though that would never occur to us...also charming!

"What makes Detroit women unique" might be a good topic for discussion sometime.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many women-folk made the planes and tanks roll off the line there. =)

I bet a few really hated putting down the riveter and putting on the apron!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.