Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit: Ruin of a City, 5/13 @ Detroit Historical Museum « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently the Detroit Historical Museum has rescheduled a showing of the documentary Detroit: Ruin of a City. It doesn't appear that the producer who was to appear last January will be there.

Film: “Detroit: Ruin of a City”
Sunday, May 13 / 1 p.m.
Detroit Historical Museum
This 92-minute documentary film, produced in 2005 by George Steinmetz and Michael Chanan, takes a provocative look at the 20th century history of Detroit and features features Detroit artist Tyree Guyton, French sociologist Loic Wacquant, Detroit-born writer Dan Georgakas, Detroit photographer Lowell Boileau and local residents.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2123
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was announced as cancelled at last Sunday's talk. I informed them it was still on the website and was told it would be corrected earlier this week.

I'd double check with the museum as I doubt it was un-cancelled.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I've had a few people contact me to let me know about this event. Given that it was on their website as of the time I posted, I assumed it was true.

The Events coordinator happens to be on vacation this whole week, so someone may have dropped the ball. I'll follow up with my friends. Thanks!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to report that I've confirmed that the showing of "Detroit: Ruin of a City" scheduled for Sunday, May 13 has been cancelled, as has the originally scheduled lecture on Viola Liuzzo.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad show has been playing here live for a long time.

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you came to the Detroit Historical Museum over the weekend to see this documentary, I am sorry. We will do better.

By the way, our events person had surgery last Wednesday and has been on a Vicodin "vacation" ever since...

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 7415
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a way to purchase a copy of this documentary? Or, view it one-time for a price online?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2274
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this info is still valid, but it's the only place that I've seen this title advertised....

http://www.intellectbooks.co.u k/ppbooks.php?isbn=97818415096 79

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, I could not find the film for sale on the Internet and the Detroit Historical Society Store does not carry it either. I will let our staff at the Detroit Historical Museum know that we need to show the film in the not-too-distant future. Films at the Museum are always free with the price of visitor admission ($6 for adults). Members, of course, always get in free. Check detroithistorical.org to find out when the film will show next.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.