Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DDOT bus strike? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was talking to the bus driver on the crosstown route at 11:30pm last night. he said a decision would be made by 3:00am today whether or not the bus drivers would go on strike. he said the potential strike was concerning the issue of putting police on the buses to make the environment safer for riders and to control rowdy passengers.

the bus driver said that DDOT had received several million dollars in federal aid but that city council was preventing it from being used to pay for on-bus or on-route police officers. apparently, the bus drivers will go on strike if their terms are not met.

has anyone else heard about this? is this legit? i heard this from an on-duty bus driver. we'll see, i guess.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Police versus Wayne County Police. The decision to make is so difficult.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather have the WCS on the buses rather than DPD. This is just my personal opinion though.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe they can go on Strike.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure they can go on strike. If they weren't able to, wouldn't that be a pretty wek union?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't believe they can go on Strike.

That never stops anyone. The teachers aren't supposed to be able to strike, but they did last year.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies has a point. Majority of them were able to return to their jobs too.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an article in the papers today saying that it was illegal for them to strike, but it was a safety issue for them so...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that city council has been fiddling along (as usual) while this mess has gotten worse. How many more drivers and riders have to get beaten down before they finally act?
If they rode the buses, action would have been taken a long time ago.
People wonder why folks are leaving Detroit in record numbers. A lot of it has to do with crap like this.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, JoAnn Watson and Tinsley are the 2 main people voting against it. What idiots voted these 2 women in?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they would act if the admin would answer their questions. In a city already up to its eyes in debt, do you think they should blindly sign a deal that could cost millions. Idiots at DPD have cost this city millions, we don't need to be held liable because of the actions of the sheriffs. I'd venture to guess you'd be the first person bitching if they signed off on it without bothering to check this detail and the city got sued. Spewing how council is bunch of idiots and this why people are leaving.... blah blah blah

quote:

The council members who voted against it say they want to know which public entity is liable should a passenger sue the sheriff's deputies while they are patrolling city buses. They say that in more than five months of talks, administration officials have yet to answer the question.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070510/NEWS01/ 70510021/1003

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5864
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D-Dot on strike NEVER!!!

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to the bus driver i spoke with, the city council has already been given the money needed to pay for the added police presence- its only a matter of using it for its intended purpose.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fully support the bus drivers on this issue, especially the ones whose shifts are late at night or very early in the morning.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's time to sell DDOT for one dollar to private investors who can make a profit. There are many competent business people who can do this which yes even includes myself. I'm in the business of moving people which is why I picked the name Trainman.

If only DDOT management would just use the brains that God gave them, Livonia would come back and then lots of Detroit residents could come and work and shop in Livonia again. Most of us, especially "me" welcomes people from all over the world to come to our city.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when you watched westerns and they had a guy riding shotgun on the stagecoaches?
I think it's past time for that to happen on the city buses. With gas prices going up, it should be an opportunity to pick up ridership. However, if you got drivers fearing for their lives and riders getting beaten up that's not going to happen.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 396
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I agree with the above post. We need to protect the honest working class people who get up early to go to work. They work hard to pay their taxes and deserve top priority.

The use of technology like cameras and fast response times can also help. Everyone should feel safe at all times and in all places on our public bus systems in southeast Michigan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.