Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Pat. of St. Joseph « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the heart of little italy, held many fond memories. attended school there from 1948-1956.felician nuns taught only as they can. anybody else remember??

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken, My mother worked in the school office there in the 1970's.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patronage of St. Joseph- Georgia & Raymond 1923

Grade: 450 students H.S. 210 (l950s)
Grade : 650 students (l960s) no high school since l969
No elementary School since pre-1981

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the remaining Patronage students became apart of Detroit East Catholic. For sure St. Anthony and I want to say St.Catherine as well but not positive. It seemed Nativity tried to hold on a few more years(early 1970's) before merging with the others. The Assumption Grotto people which served as the feeder school were trying to pull out of their association with Nativity around 1966-67 because of the neighborhood. I'm sure by the early 70's the Grotto people had enough with that situation which forced the school to join the East Catholic merger.

Joken

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i went there Crew, only nuns were in the school(48-56).father desantis was pastor. he knew every kid in that school by name and their parents.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken, I went to the school in the late 70s and until the closing ('84). I completed my last years at St. David. There is a thread called "Georgia St." in which there are aerial pics before and after the school was torn down. I remember Crew's mom as the school's secretary.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nativegirl,
When you were at St.David had the church sold the high school across the street yet ? The parishioners put a lot of money into building the new high school in the 1950's and in many of them felt it was a mistake. My grandparents were not asked but told how much they would contribute. The church could not get away from something like that now. Times change !!

Swiburn

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a side note to the forced giving for schools: There was a church in Flint where the parishioners had their high school construction contributions deducted from their GM payroll! But still, it was so much cheaper due to the low cost of labor of the nuns. I believe St. Catherine High School closed around l969, just like St. Charles Borromeo.

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone post a photo of Patronage Of St Joseph church ?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patronage and St. Charles indeed closed in 1969 and merged with St. Anthony to form East Catholic.

The information I have has St. Catherine's closing in 1967. I would have to assume that their students went to St. Rose?

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it closed in '67 they probably scattered to the remaining schools such as St.Anthony, Nativity(if spots were available after Grotto sent students),St. Rose, and St. Martin. I know that St.Catherine similar to St. Anthony was not a parish school. I'm unsure about St.Cyril because some Good Counsel people graduated from there, but they may have had a special deal in place for the parish. St. David in the 1960's and maybe into the early 1970's was strictly a parish high school. When old St.Joseph closed in 1964 several students transferred to De La Salle. In front of the "new" De La Salle school in Warren are the old white street signs of (Conner and Glenfield)for La Salle and (Jay and Orleans) for St. Joe. Basically, it seems on the east side if you attended a school in the late 1960's inside of Conner a student was not guaranteed to graduate from that same school.

Swiburn

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey, Here's some St. Rose info:
1919-89
l950s: H.S. 186 Grade; 327 5 masses
l960s: Grade: 315 high school closed in late l960s, after the riots.
elementary closed ‘71

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn, the high school became Rosa Parks Middle School and was running when I was at St. David in the mid to late 80s. St. David's church was still up and running: very beautiful inside.

Whithorn11446

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nativegirl,
I am aware that its Rosa Parks Middle School. I was trying to determine when exactly the church sold the building.

You are one of the few people I know of who thinks it was beautiful inside. Several people including my family members use to remark about how plain it was, especially compared to Nativity, Good Counsel, Grotto, St. Matthew, St.Jude, etc. The strange part was their were some people in the parish with money, especially the parishioners along Outer Drive over to Dickerson.

Swiburn

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original name of Patronage of St. Joseph was San Giuseppe

Joken

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiburn, i believe that is when services were held in a corner store before church?

Joe_j
Username: Joe_j

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too attended PSJ from 1948-1956. The Sisters did not mess around. I also knew Sal Provenzano. I think he played CYO Basketball with us. We didn't win many.

Swiburn

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken, you are right on the San Giuseppe name, I'm sure. I got my information from "The Catholic Church in Detroit" and they didn't mention a storefront church beginning. (Which is actually how most churches start out. Either that or mass in a movie theatre.)

Joken

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe; we were in the same class i think. sister nunciatas eighth grade class.. gary penzak,larry reemer,ann marie latorre,and im ken r if you remember.

Joe_j

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken; Now that you mentioned her name it rings a bell. gary and larry sound familiar. for the life of me ann marie doesn't register from school but does from the store. did she have an older sister? i'm afraid i don't remember you ken - i know i should. when did you start PSJ?
goodness that was more than 50 years ago.

Joken

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joe; 1948/1956 it was a good school and those nuns sure did a good job teaching and keeping us guys in line. i lived on milner across from leo crimandos corner store.

Joe_j

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken; Then we should have gone from grade 1-8 at the same time. you are aboslutely correct - when you left there it was with a great educational background. i later attended Cass Tech, Detroit High School of Commerce and Cooley HS. Didn't learn much at ay of them. maybe it was cause i thought i knew everything, or maybe the nuns had a special way.

Joken

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joe, went to cass also class of 60

Joe_j

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joken; i lasted one semester at Cass Tech to find i had NO mechanical ability. i guess i was a year behind you. think i should have graduated in 61. Quit in the 11th grade instead and went into the Air Force. it turned out to be one of the best moves i ever made.

Joken

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joe; i was in the navy 60/63. best thing for me also. was there for bay of pigs invasion, cuban missal blockade. gave me experience in my trade too..

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother and family went there. Anyone remember any Macagnone's?

They lived near Besmore and Vinton.

My father went to Nativity, graduated in 70'.

(Message edited by classico on May 31, 2007)

Joe_j

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classico; the name sounds familiar, but i can't make a connection. Bessemore and Vinton is really close to home.

Classico

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe J:

My grandmothers maiden name was Macagnone. My great grandfather probably had bought the house back in the late 20's early 30's. When my grandfather married my grandmother they bought the house and stayed until 67' or 68'.

Do you remember any Carra's?

My grandmother went to PSJ's and probably graduated in either 49' or 50'. Josephine is her name.

(Message edited by Classico on June 01, 2007)

Joe_j

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classico: Still no cigar. Here are some names i do remember from the area: Richard, Robert, and Ralph Hoemke; Ray and Linda Hoffman; Anne Marie and Eddy Jesse; Junior (Walter), and Robert Bushleiter; William (Billy) Swartz. From school: Sal Provenzano, Tony Cusamano, James Palmer, Francine Rappa, Beverly Green, Delores D'acenzo (probably spelled wrong), Phyllis Agnello, Lawrence Kaminski?, Dennis Kulashevski, Mary Ann Baginski. Anyone recognize these?

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classico - I graduated from Nativity in '70.

What's his last name?

We had just a handful of St. Joe's students by that time.

Classico

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Formerspringgardner:

You probably know my father, Rick Carra then.

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I remember Rick.

Tell him Rob Van Coppenolle says hello.

What is he up to these days?

Classico

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh for sure next time I see him. He's doing alright these days. Him and my Ma are living out in the Shelby area.

Hmmm. Van Coppenolle you say.

Did you live in Eastpointe at one point. Think I went to school with a Van Coppenolle back in grade school. Do you have a son?

Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we never lived in Eastpointe.

I do have relatives on my fathers side that lived in St. Clair Shores. We are not on speaking terms so I can't help you there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.