Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » America's Changing Demographics « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.opinionjournal.com/ editorial/feature.html?id=1100 10045

interesting article with a few mentions of detroit. the writer opens with "when i went to kindergarten in detroit in 1950 ..."

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The final paragraph sums it up:
quote:

Demography is destiny. When I was in kindergarten in 1950, Detroit was the nation's fifth largest metro area, with 3,170,000 people. Now it ranks 11th and is soon to be overtaken by Phoenix, which had 331,000 people in 1950. In the close 1960 election, in which electoral votes were based on the 1950 Census, Michigan cast 20 votes for John Kennedy and Arizona cast four votes for Richard Nixon; New York cast 45 votes for Kennedy and Florida cast 10 votes for Nixon. In 2012, Michigan will likely have 16 electoral votes and Arizona 12; New York will have 29 votes and Florida 29. That's the kind of political change demographics makes over the years.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a political junkie like me, that's a really interesting article. The most interesting thing I gleamed from that article is that the "domestic outflow" (non-immigrant) of people from the Detroit-metro area is not significantly higher than the coastal cities, which are still thriving in many ways. Rather, it is the rate of immigrant inflow to the state that is accounting for population loss.

Of course, one reaction to this would be to say, "well, we need to attract more immigrants to Detroit," and that would be a great thing. At the same time, part of the reason they are not coming is that they can't find jobs. So it is sort of a chicken and the egg kind of thing.

Personally, I think the Detroit area needs to continue to reach out to high-tech companies (and give them tax breaks if necessary). Simultaneously, the city should appeal to Russian and Eastern European immigrants. These immigrants often have a technical educational background to begin with, and are also used to living in cooler climates.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3174
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of immigrants are illegal Mexicans and Hondurans. Hardly are there many (legal) immigrants from Eastern Europe since WWI--some 90 years ago.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does that mean, to you, though?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing with the figures will illustrate the problems facing Detroit and New York:

1960: Michigan had 18 Congressman and New York had 43, while Florida had 8 and Arizona 2.

Michigan's population was roughly nine times that of Arizona, and New York was some 5.4 times that of Florida.

Estimated 2012 figures: MI 14, NY 27, FL 27, and AZ 10 Congressmen.

Now Florida and New York will be roughly equal in population, and MI is only 1.4 times that of AZ (down from nine times).

It's not expected that most recent DPS grads would make much sense from these numbers, but most others should get a general feel for the situation. To wit, people are relatively deserting such states and Michigan and New York. Ditto for the rest of the Rust Belt.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on May 09, 2007)

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm.... he claims that people are leaving the hip cities to live in Phoenix. I think one of the drivers is the aging baby boomers, who as they retire move to warmer, less expensive places.

I think the young people want city living. they have for thousands of years and they always will.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5553
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just baby boomers, and they aren't just moving to Phoenix, they are moving (in droves) to Atlanta and Chicago and Dallas and...

There is a reason that a little over 1,000 Detroiters (city residents), for instance, are leaving every month, and only a few hundred of those are ending up in the metro, and most of these are the young middle class.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 29, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.