Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Salvation Army: Demand for help from suburbs outpaces Detroit for first time « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/U PDATE/705080425

For the first time ever, the number of people living in the suburbs who requested services from the local Salvation Army was higher than requests from Detroit residents, according to a report released today.

Demands across the region for Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Division services also increased 76 percent for food and 25 percent for shelter requests between 2005 and 2006, according to the organization's new Michigan Poverty Report.

"We are seeing more people than we have ever seen before," said John Hale, interim director of development. "For the first time we served more people in the suburbs as a gross number than the people in the city of Detroit. This would be people who in years past were donors to The Salvation Army but because of layoffs and other difficulties in Michigan, we're now having people experience poverty in Canton, in Royal Oak, in Plymouth, in Mount Clemens."

In 2005, the Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Division served 2.5 million meals to Metro Detroiters but that jumped to nearly 4.5 million meals in 2006.

Also in 2005, the Army's shelter network provided 620,500 people a bed. But that increased to 781,692 in 2006.

The Army is stretching its dollars to accommodate these needs but is asking people to donate this week during its second annual Do The Most Good Campaign. The campaign encourages community members to do something nice for fellow neighbors, such as mow their lawn or bring them flowers. But that could also mean making a donation to The Salvation Army to help them meet this increasing demand for services.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9063
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only the people in the suburbs would get off their ass and work this region wouldn't be in decline.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their adopt-a-family at Christmas time is a good program...me and my family did it this past Christmas...we got a single Mom and two daughters in Farmington Hills, and they mostly asked for pretty basic stuff, so we bought them all of that and whole bunch of extra stuff too...it was a good experience and I will do it again...

I believe this stat has more to do with there being no one left in Detroit anymore due to the city's continuing decline in population... the 'burbs have just under 5x the people that Detroit has

Jt1

Post Number: 9065
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But all of the poor people are in Detroit. People in the suburbs are hard working people and Detroit are the bums that bring down the region. That is what we are told time and time again.

quote:

I believe this stat has more to do with there being no one left in Detroit anymore due to the city's continuing decline in population...

I assume that is sarcasm to match my sarcasm. If not dismissing 800-900K people that easily is a shame and all too common in SE Michigan.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But all of the poor people are in Detroit.People in the suburbs are hard working people and Detroit are the bums that bring down the region. That is what we are told time and time again."

Sort of...not exactly. What Detroit has is a much higher poverty rate than the suburbs, which is evident by the fact that Detroit has only 1/5 the population of the suburbs and yet the Salvation Army receives about the same number requested services from Detroit as it does from the Suburbs.

btw, when you let you bitterness, racism and hatred of the suburbs do the talking for you, you really just end up sounding like a moron sometimes...

Jt1

Post Number: 9067
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

btw, when you let you bitterness, racism and hatred of the suburbs do the talking for you, you really just end up sounding like a moron sometimes...

I would suggest that you turn on your sarcasm meter. I was trying to lay it on pretty thick so it wouldn't get missed. You can let go of your incorrect assumptions of me as well. Last time we got into it I went out of my way to comlpliment various suburbs. I have also participated in a few threads were I spoke highly of other suburbs.

Sorry I don't see Livonia as all that is right in the world like you do.

(Message edited by jt1 on May 08, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry I don't see Livonia as all that is right in the world like you do."

there you go, back to Livonia again...all I know is that it was a great place to grow up, the school system is well run, businesses stay open and new housing and developments are continuing to be built in the northwest side...all you have ever known of Livonia is that some jackass resident made a comment during a planning commission meeting about the new development at the Wonderland mall site attracting too many black people, and the next thing you know, the whole city is labeled racist...never mind that the Mayor and council members that we elected are the ones who fought to allow that development to proceed in spite of this redneck's comments...don't worry about any of that, JT1, as I know you're perfectly content with hating Livonia because some black leaders told you that you're supposed to...

Jt1

Post Number: 9070
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, I knew the Livonia comment would bait you.

quote:

don't worry about any of that, JT1, as I know you're perfectly content with hating Livonia because some black leaders told you that you're supposed to...

I listen to the leaders I respect so I am not sure were you are going with this. Would you care to elaborate since it sounds like you have a little something more you would like to say about me (white guy) or the Detroit populace. No need to sugar coat it, let your assumptions come out.

Looks like you may have let a little bit of your real beliefs out on that post. Are all people that are pro-Detroit just ignorant black folk that follow any black leaders aimlessly and without thought? Sure seems that you might be leaning towards that belief.

If you would like to list these 'black leaders' that you are referring to I would happily tell you which ones I respect as leaders and which ones I do not. Color aside.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh noes! are you going to tell me that my "true colors" are showing through now? bite me JT...you know how many times I've been called a racist on this board solely because I campaigned for Prop 2? this is nothing new to me...been there done that...I'm quite bored with it...

You brought up Livonia, I called you out, and instead of addressing the substance of my post, you zero in on one sentence to try to sidetrack the issue...not having it JT...either respond to the issue that you injected into this discussion, or walk away

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed on several threads recently people mentioning "racism" against white people. Please consult the dictionary or any basic text on ethnic/race studies before using this term; more likely you mean "discrimination" or "prejudice." Racism is prejudice + power, it involves a doctrine or a program, institutionalized, not just one person's opinions and actions.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackreative:

I just consulted the dictionary...it defines racism as: "Discrimination or prejudice based on race."

It doesn't say anything about prejudice + power.

how do you respond?

Jt1

Post Number: 9073
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did I only zero in on one part when the rest of your post was more of a rant about the greatness of Livonia.

So if you have the courtesy to answer my questions I will address your rant:

I believe that people from Livonia are living with blinders on. It is currently a fine bedroom community but it has increasing costs, older infrastructure and an aging population. The schools are losing population and the elderly will die off. Livonia would be best suited to work with Detroit for the longevity of Livonia. Instead they choose to eliminate SMART which will have an adverse impact on businesses and the city as a whole. In defense of the voters I believe that it was 40%+ that voted to keep it. The truth is that Livonia is and will facec some major obstacles are many in the city refuse to identify that simply fact.

The same situation holds for most inner rings but Livonia seems to be the most unwilling to accept it, in my opinion. Thinks aren't all rosy there and it will struggle in the very near future.

Now can you name which black leaders I blindly follow or will you just assume anyone that doesn't think everything is peachy keen in all the suburbs (regardless of Detroit's struggles) and lives in Detroit is blindly following the unnamed black leaders.

Your belief that since I don't think the future of Livonia is as rosy as you paint I must be too stupid to come to these conclusions and must be following some to be named black leaders is ridiculous and smacks of your opinion of the general Detroit populace that disagrees with you.

Detroit is f'ed up. We know that. Livonia is facing a rough future as are many inner rings. The best for all of them is to work together. There are many communitites that are doing that. What is Livonia doing beyond trying to exist in a vacuum. Maybe they have a lot going on but I certainly don't see it.

PS - The 'black leaders' didn't tell me to write that.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one is saying Detroit and Livonia shouldn't work together...but I find it ironic that you honestly think Livonia is struggling, yet you think it was stupid for them to cut back costs by eliminating a bus service that none of their residents use...seriously, if Livonia was run with your logic, they WOULD be in trouble...luckily for us, it isn't, and Livonia is doing quite fine...I really don't know why you worry about it so much

Jt1

Post Number: 9075
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one is saying Detroit and Livonia shouldn't work together...but I find it ironic that you honestly think Livonia is struggling, yet you think it was stupid for them to cut back costs by eliminating a bus service that none of their residents use

The businesses in Livonia needs the bus service for their employees. That poing is often lost. Add in the fact that Livonis'a replacement service is not much cheaper than what they were paying for SMART and this decisive move saves Livonia residents very little money. How else should we perceive it as anything but seperatism?

quote:

seriously, if Livonia was run with your logic, they WOULD be in trouble

Eliminating SMART for an internally run system with much less service at near the same price isn't screaming of great leadership or great fiscal sense. But there you go making more assumptions about me. I hope you do not rely in assumptions so much when you become an attorney.

quote:

seriously, if Livonia was run with your logic, they WOULD be in trouble

Schools closing, aging population, increase costs, aging infrastructure. That certainly paints a rosy picture to me.

OK, I addressed your concerns now could you name just two of those 'black leaders' that I blindly follow?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"OK, I addressed your concerns now could you name just two of those 'black leaders' that I blindly follow?"

You really think you've "got me" with that one, don't you...

how about we fast forward past the part where I name some people whose beliefs are consistent with your own, and then you claim that they didn't influence your beliefs because you think for yourself, and that any similarities are merely coincidental...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4049
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For you thejesus...in response to post 1121 it seems you didn't dig deep enough. Here let me help you:

quote:

rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on May 08, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9076
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

how about we fast forward past the part where I name some people whose beliefs are consistent with your own, and then you claim that they didn't influence your beliefs because you think for yourself, and that any similarities are merely coincidental...

At least list them. I will happily tell you which ones I agree with and which ones I disagree with. It is not a matter of 'getting you' but pointing out your tired old beliefs about anyone that disagrees with you. Since I live in Detroit I must blindly follow 'black leaders' is a complete cop out and certainly has implications behind it.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say that having been in a variety of public schools, I am noticing a difference in the lunches kids bring to school or who gets free or reduced price lunch, who is coming to school in clothes that are too small or out of season, kids without hats and gloves in the winter. This is not just in the city, this is in the suburbs as well. Where kids were more likely to bring "Lunchables" or another packaged product even 2 years ago, now more kids are bringing plain peanut butter sandwiches and leftovers. There's nothing wrong with that as long as the kids are getting fed, but there is definitely a very strong effect on children when their parents are laid off or have reduced work hours. Hopefully the Salvation Army and other relief agencies will be able to keep up.

I know that even in my own church, we collect money probably every other week to help a family about to lose their house or can't pay their electric bill. The pastor actually made an announcement that the committee members will have open hours to discuss financial needs and assistance with church members, because so many people are contacting them. Every week I see young people in our church move to Texas, Arizona, Georgia and other states just because there is no work around here in their fields. When everybody is struggling to put food on the table, nobody wants new tile or granite countertops installed. The situation is actually very sad because Detroit was actually a very large destination city for Romanians in the early to mid 90's and now everyone is leaving due to our economic conditions.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Mackcreative

Thank you for clarifying that. And thank Stylin for pointing it out.

Don't expect anyone to believe you though... just like the GI Bill couldn't have possibly been designed to foster discrimination!

Thejesus

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartthed:

it's not a matter of "believing" anyone...

DS identified one possible definition of the the term, which was neither the definition I was using, nor was is the definition Mackcreative was throwing out there...

I suppose none of that matters though since you'll probably just discard the definition I found because you don't like as much as another one...

rac·ism

NOUN:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.