Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Where do you take your dog off leash? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I spend all my time at the dog daycare (www.caninetofivedetroit.com) when it comes to spending time with my own dog, I am always looking for fun places to take her off leash. This weekend, we went to Mt. Elliott Park on Sunday morning (we were the only people there!), Sunday evening we went to Lafayette Park - the far north end of the park is nice because there are no streets close by so you do not have to worry about your dog running into the street). Last night we went to Belle Isle by the lighthouse, again, nice because there are no streets.

When I lived on the east side I did take my old dog to Balduck park a decent amount, although it is not totally fenced in.

A few years ago, we went to Bruch park a lot, but now there are too many cars, roads, etc. I'd rather see it developed over there than as my own personal dog run!!

So where do you take your dog off leash in Detroit?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that against the law?

http://www.animallaw.info/arti cles/ovusdogleashlaws.htm#s2

Blondy

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not aware of that, but it sure does appear so. Well, I will keep breaking that law I guess.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 968
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually take the pups to Rouge Park, the beach at Belle Isle, Tri Centenial, or the old velodrom at Dorais Park. We need an outdoor dog park!!!

Blondy

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am working on it Jfried, hopefully by late summer/early fall there will be one on Cass!

What is Dorais Park?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seldom leash my dog, but she minds pretty good and won't run off from me. Only time any one spoke to me was when I was walking her through a trailer park near my neighborhood. It was some young girlie who worked for the people that managed the complex. She said "You need to leash your dog". I smiled and said "OK" and we just kept walking, but did not stop to leash callie. This chick did not like that and followed me to the end of the trailer park's street. I assume she thought I lived there and was hoping to get my address. I hear there is a dog park in Hines Dr. somewhere, and there is a fenced in dog park north of Pontiac I know of.

Blondy

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a list of all dog parks in SE Mich.
www.detroitdogparks.com

And here is an article that appeared in Metro Mode last week http://www.metromodemedia.com/ innovationnews/DogPark0017.asp x

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My fenced-in backyard, where it is not a danger others!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been taking my dog to some lots next to American Axle plant. There are 3 lots that are fenced in with one opening. They are South of Holbrook off of Lumpkin Street. The grass is cut and no one has yelled at me to "LEASH YOUR DOG" or to "GET OUT"

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dogs are never let off leash, except in the fenced 30' X 30' dog yard at home. And I don't go to dog parks because I wish to avoid the domination scenarios that would probably occur.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 238
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its fun to let your dog run but everytime I read stuff like this I get bad memories about my first samoyed ( on a lead), who was attacked while I was walking him by a charging Akita not on a leash with his owner, and literally torn apart on his side in my Lafayette Park neighborhood, He died from complications several months and thousands of dollars later. The owner was totally unapologetic. The witnesses ( the mans neighbors) would do nothing to witness as they "liked the poor minister". Sorry folks but I believe in a leash law.. too many people have no control of their dogs.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree completely with Detroitbill.
I have 3 dogs myself, and they are never off-leash unless we are at a dog park or in my own backyard. To do otherwise is completely inconsiderate of others who may be in the area, and who may not be comfortable with dogs.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To do otherwise is completely inconsiderate of others who may be in the area, and who may not be comfortable with dogs.

Thanks Fern and others who leash. I've never been bitten but have been charged by dogs while walking and it is pretty nerve wracking to a non-dog person. Owners usually laugh and say "he won't hurt you". Well, how do I know that for sure?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To those that favor the leash laws:

The thought that my little 30 lb 10 yo girl dog could be threat to you makes me laugh my ass off. You people are statistically at least 50 times more likely to get killed by a sleepy semi driver on I-75 then you are to get mauled by someone's dog. It's true that if some one owns a young burly pit bull, or shepherd that is full of NRG, then yes they of course need to have control over the animal at all times. I have control over mine, she just happens to not need the leash.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care if the thing is a freakin yorkie, I still don't want it jumping up my leg.

You have every right to love your dogs, just don't expect the rest of us to.

Blondy

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me clarify, I do not think it is OK to walk your dog down the street unleashed, for several reasons. When I am with my dog off leash and there are people nearby without dogs, I will hold the dog's collar until the people are safely past.

Also, here is an article about SEMCOG encouraging people to pick up after their dogs.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/b usiness/465665/doggy_doo_is_a_ big_dont/index.html

Jfried

Post Number: 969
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blondy - dorais park is on the east side on outer drive at mound. it's the location of the old velodrome (bike track).

http://www.thgallery.com/velo. html

Jfried

Post Number: 970
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and I would love to help out with any work you need regarding the outdoor dog park as long at un- fixed weimeriners are allowed!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nowhere...they run!

But we have a big, fenced-in back yard where they run.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having a dog who is controllable off a leash is a great advantage however it does not protect your dog if attacked by another wild dog who is also off of leash. A leash law is exactly that,, all dogs are to be on leashes...Its about greater control and protection. The problem often is if your dog is roaming out of your immediate control and attacked , a serious incident can easily happen,, Part of the intent of a leash law is control of all animals,,The fact that ones own dog is a great doggy does nothing for them if they happen to be attacked by another unleashed not no nice dog. There is nothing more depressing than watching your own happy behaved dog mauled by another one who is wild. This is from personal experience. If they are both on leashes these incidences will decrease.

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blondy .... do you own canine to five ?

We've talked before

Cambrian

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill, I do keep a leash handy. We've encountered strays running up snarling on our walks before. All I've had to do is start twirling it defensively at them, that's the first defense, getting hit up side the head with a metal leash buckle hurts like hell. They see that spinning in thier face and it usually keeps them at bay, if not there's the second line of offense. Steel toed boot to the ribs. But ask anyone I know, my dog is not typical. For sure most dogs do need to be leashed.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you get back in your house!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 997
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only on Belle Isle. My dog is really strange. She almost never barks and loves people, but usually hates other dogs (I think a German Shepard attack when she was about 1 helped). She just runs away from them. With people, she will run up to them and start trying to lick any piece of skin close to her head. It is really strange.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

people who insisted on not leashing their dogs in public are selfish a#%holes who think the world revolves around them

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 999
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on the dog and the area. On normal streets, dogs should be on leashes. Places like Belle Isle are not as bad, lots of open space and the dog is not likely to do anything bad. My dog is usually on a leash (minus front yard when we're out there or Belle Isle)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4394
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wtopnews.com/index. php?nid=596&sid=1132700

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mexico.

Patrick

Post Number: 4398
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The leash problem can be a concern but people not picking up their doggy nuggets peeves me the most.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a dogpark in Bloomfield Township that I go to quite often , It's on Strathmoor in the Big Beaver / Woodward area . I know most of the dogs ( and people ) that use it . I know which dogs are aggressive and me and my Weim stay away from the ones that cause trouble . There's been a big battle between the city and the local homeowners association that went all the way to the state Supreme Court. We're awaiting a ruling. From what I understand , The city has burned up around $150,000.00 in legal fees fighting the homeowners association.Actually , I enjoy being with the dogs at that park very much , I can't say the same about some of the dog owners that frequent the park .

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, how is posting something about Washington relevant?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes and yes

Patrick

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eh, it's not Detroit but couldnt help posting it. If you don't like me posting this article, take it up with Lowell.

WASHINGTON - A canine caper landed the husband of the Deputy White House Press Secretary in jail recently.
Dana Perino's husband, Peter McMahon, was ticketed in November for walking their dog, a Vizsla breed, without a leash in Lincoln Park just east of the Capitol.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nowhere. My 10 pound pomerienian thinks he can eat a rotweiller.
Plus given the chance he would run away and never come back.
So to avoid him being killed he never is off his leash...and he hates walks.
But hes cute ! My sister who has a rottie has had several run ins with people who dont have their dogs on leash and shes stuck trying to control a 120 pound dog so that it doesnt eat someones pet. She yells at them... to say the least.

Blondy

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Kronprinz, I do own Canine To Five. Have you brought your dog here?!?

Middleageguy
Username: Middleageguy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh, my dog won't hurt no one."
I know someone who was walking with a small dog, and 3 boxers, that I am SURE "would never hurt no one", attacked, and removed the womans bicep.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! This thread sure is populated with a bunch of dog haters!

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, actually, I'm a dog lover. But I do not walk my dog off-leash. He's a rottweiler and so has 2 strikes against him with the general public to begin with. And while he loves me and my spouse, I do not presume to believe that he will love everyone he encounters.

And Detroitbill is quite right. While I would probably bet on my dog in a fight, I don't need the legal hassles which would likely ensue. So he walks on a leash. And people usually cross the street to avoid us. We don't mind.

To answer the question, my dog runs in my small fenced-in backyard. I also have a friend who has a 350 ft. deep fenced yard if I feel he needs more space. We do not use the nearby dog park because I'm just not sure of his intentions toward other male dogs. Better safe than sorry.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this thread isn't full of dog haters, it's full of law abiding citizens who understand the obvious reasons for having the law.

Take your dog to a dog park, or up north somewhere, or your backyard.

Yeah, only a few people have ever stopped you, but most people who see you are irritated by you, even if they don't say anything.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny! I can't tell you how many cops I walk by, or have pass by me on their routine patrols, no leash on the dog. They must not be irritated by me as you would be.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do have your dog off leash I find the best spot is the far side of the blue heron lagoon on belle Isle is perfect if you go at a time when not many people are around. My 50 lb lab mix can run and swim and will not get out of the area. By the time we reach the golf course I let her jump in the lagoon one last time and then leash her back up one last time for the walk back.

Blondy

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this weekend I had my dogs up north, at the Esch Road Beach in the sleeping dune national park. I learned the hard way that you have to have your dogs leashed at all times there, as I was issued a $125 ticket, apparently it was a federal offense!!!!
Also, the NPS Ranger who wrote me the ticket told me it is a Michigan State Law that all dogs must be leashed in public at all times! Anyone know if that is documented someplace?
Man, my dogs are going to hate this!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chapter 287. Animal Industry. Dog Law of 1919. Licensing and control of dogs; hunting dogs; female dogs in heat; straying dogs

Citation: M. C. L. A. 287.262

Summary: This section of the Dog Law of 1919 provides that any dog over six months must be registered and wear a collar at all times. It also mandates that female dogs in heat must be kept on their owners' premises or restrained on a leash. The overall leash requirement is less clear, stating that it is unlawful for an owner to allow a dog "to stray unless held properly in leash." This does appear to mandate a statewide leash requirement for dogs, however.

Statute in Full:

Sec. 2. It shall be unlawful for any person to own any dog 6 months old or over, unless the dog is licensed as hereinafter provided, or to own any dog 6 months old or over that does not at all times wear a collar with a tag approved by the director of agriculture, attached as hereinafter provided, except when engaged in lawful hunting accompanied by its owner or custodian; or for any owner of any female dog to permit the female dog to go beyond the premises of such owner when she is in heat, unless the female dog is held properly in leash; or for any person except the owner or authorized agent, to remove any license tag from a dog; or for any owner to allow any dog, except working dogs such as leader dogs, guard dogs, farm dogs, hunting dogs, and other such dogs, when accompanied by their owner or his authorized agent, while actively engaged in activities for which such dogs are trained, to stray unless held properly in leash.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.