Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mayor Kilpatrick’s moratorium on new gas stations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that soon after being elected the first go around, that Kwame imposed a restriction on opening any new gas stations as there were many vacant ones. Has this lead to any ones that were closed being reopened or renovated?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really sure but I know that I have seen a few close on Livernois and they always re-open a short time later under new names. I would say the ban is effective in the sense that I have seen older stations still in use renovated when they probably would have closed and built new ones if the ban was not in place. Just my guess though. I searched and couldn't find any info on the topic.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEs, there have been several Vacant Gast Stations converted either into your fair Marathon or British Petro Service Station. There may be a Shell or Sunoco here and there also.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it is working as I recall it being somewhat controversial.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5477
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though, seemingly a small deal, I consider it one of Kilpatrick's greatest successes.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2173
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ban on gas stations has been quite successful (getting long abandoned stations, usually which are contaminated, to reopen as gas stations) and has been extended.

There is a station on Gratiot and Mack that reopened as a result of the ban. One too at Grand River and Livernois.

There are lots more, but those are the two that come to mind.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5480
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great. I don't care what it is, if something can be reused, it should be done. More sustainable development is always great news.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4268
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One would also tend to think that those located on the crossings of main thoroughfares would tend to remain open, even if under a different brand name.

So in some instances it may not have as much to do with KK's edict, as it does location, location, location...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5481
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused, how does not allowing new gas station construction not help in cutting down on additional abandoned stations?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

What was happening is that older contaminated gas stations at prime corners were being abandoned and then a brand new station on an uncontaminated site was being built kitty-corner to the old one.

Gas stations are relatively easy to clean up when putting in another gas station in its place. It's a disaster when you try and clean it up to commercial or residential standards. It's good policy to encourage the redevelopment of brownfield sites on many different levels.
The cheap cost of land in Detroit makes remediating some brownfield sites difficult from the numbers side. Altering the market to make the land costs line up with the cost of clean up is a very smart thing IMO.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

List of Abandoned Gas Stations reconverted:

-Van Dyke and Harper
-Van Dyke and Edsel Ford
-Gratiot and Mack
-Van Dyke and 7 Mile

List on Gas Stations under New Brand Names (Mostly Marathon and British Petro) (Amocos don't count)

-Mt. Elliot and Mack
-Mt. Elliot and Gratiot
-8 Mile and Gallagher
-Gratiot and Conner
-7 Mile and Schoenherr (briefly)
-8 Mile and Gratiot
-8 Mile and Regent
-Gratiot and McClellan
-Gratiot and Van Dyke
-Gratiot and Sterrit
-Harper and Conner
-Houston Whittier and Chalmers
-Houston-Whittier and Hayes

There were other ones converted also, but the ones I listed were ones after the passage of Kilpatrick's law.

There is this new franchise now going around called Valero that opened the location on Mt. Elliot and Mack (taking over Citgo's).

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 985
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Great. I don't care what it is, if something can be reused, it should be done. More sustainable development is always great news."

Next step: moratorium on new home construction until all of the vacant and dilapidated ones are rebuilt?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5483
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, my statement was too encompassing/broad, but my general idea still stands. I like to see things reused whenever possible.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.