Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Abnormal Number of Fishermen and Tradespeople This Morning « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9114
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jogging a little early today through downtown, I changed my route some...ending up more east of the RenCen than usual, hoping they had more of the RiverWalk done.

Hopped the fence from the GM parking lot, because they DON'T have it open yet...and immediately noticed a great number of small craft full of fishermen. (I laughed that I was probably breaking a security perimeter as I lept over the chain-links)

Didn't make sense that all these fellas just up and decided to take a Monday morning off...but I didn't pay it any mind.

Hart Plaza was full of white tradesvans, some of them marked with company names...but most without. Wouldn't be so odd, but I don't think it was time for a union coffee break and there were almost NO bodies anywhere for all of these work trucks!

It felt like the Riverfront was under seige by tradespeople who all decided to jump into little boats and fish.

Was this the Secret Service out for Barack Obama's visit to the Econ Club of Detroit lunch, or were they filming something down there that I ran through?!

Then at the corner of Gratiot and St. Antoine an arrest or accident was being made by every legal level of authority at that spot from state down...city cops (both marked and unmarked), sheriff, and state police surrounded whomever they got.

(I'd bet the Secret Service and Homeland Security Border Patrol wish they were getting THAT sort of action.)

Hope the news fills in the blanks on these!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry has been getting much Secret Service protection lately. Some reporters said that Rush's song parody necessitated more SS protection. Go figger!

Gannon

Post Number: 9117
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they were ALL Secret Service, they spent a great deal of money on securing the usually-empty Hart Plaza.

Gannon

Post Number: 9118
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they weren't very secret about it.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fishermen have been out in force for the last 2 weeks. So they say, the walleye are running pretty good right now. They usually drop anchor either right around the tunnel or just west of chene park, as you saw this morning. For as many boats as I've been seeing out there every morning I hope they're just jumping in the boats with tarter sauce and a side of fries.

Gannon

Post Number: 9120
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, good, at least there is a logical reason for at least half of my curiosity.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, i have noticed a larger than normal fishing group this spring compared to the previous couple of years. Looks neat from Belle Isle

Dj_hyper_active
Username: Dj_hyper_active

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The complete riverwalk won't be be finished until May 17th, When it is finished it will have 24hr Security guards. How do I know this? The company that I work for is furnishing the security guards.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait a second,,didn't I hear something about the waters having problems where the fish are dying from the ebola virus?

And if so, why would anyone want to fish there?

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The walleye are running. Last Sunday morning there were few boats, but a couple of weeks ago there were so many I literally could not count them all. Perhaps the trucks at Hart Plaza are getting ready for the Hoedown?

Gannon isn't it a pain that we have to hop the fence? Why don't they open the damn gates? When they had the All Star game a couple of years ago, I was about to hop the fence that had just been put up when construction started, so I could run my usual riverfront route. I decided against it when I saw the armed gunboat dinghys that Homeland Security had patrolling the riverfront at the time.

Wally, dont't believe everything you hear. There are plenty of fish in the Great Lakes. If they were all dead you would be able to smell the stench from wherever you are which sounds like it is far far away from the Detroit River. And if they were all dead from Ebola Virus then we'd probably all be dead too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.