Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sen. Obama in Detroit Today « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=d3049ec2-01cf -4d8d-b480-89f53671defa

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its great to have Sen. Obama here in Detroit. Too bad all of the tickets sold out so fast. He is so popular.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He and Kwame had a little riff apparently.... Kwame asked Barack how he would feel standing next to a 6 foot 4 black man, and Barack responded, "well itll be fine as long as u get rid of the diamond stud"

stupid.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2091
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama's not gonna make any friends here http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070507/NEW S01/70507025

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had a thought...he comes to Detroit and "takes the US Auto Industry to task?" We really need to be told this again? Can't he say what the Fed can do to support US businesses or something? GEEZUS. Lilpup you are right.

Go home a-wipe. Take your smart "A" with you. Geez! What a douche-bag.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9113
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Econ Club of Detroit luncheon, right?!

THAT explains all the 'fishermen' close to the shore from the RenCen down, plus all those white vans throughout Hart Plaza up to Cobo Hall either without visible human bodies or with workers not really looking like they were doing anything good but stay awake...that must be his Secret Service detail motivating a minor Homeland Security drill.

Pretty funny, I knew something was up. In a city where public work actually happens, they wouldn't stick out so much.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just had a thought...he comes to Detroit and "takes the US Auto Industry to task?" We really need to be told this again?

Yes, I think you do need to be told this again, and again. Perhaps until I can go to my local Chevy dealer and buy a Volt. That is, if I can still find a Chevy dealer in the Bay Area.

Quinn

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously...Ford needs to be told they made a mistake in placing bets on large suv's in the 90's by Barack Obama?

Wow...as stunner. What a shocker. What a genius. We need to elect him president right now so he can tell everyone how they went wrong 15 years ago.

WTF?

At best this is a lame, no-story story that points out Barack's weak point...meaning lack of the same. At worst this is a befuddled politician who doesn't know how to run a campaign.

I'm for Hillary for sure now.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hillary is a joke doesn't anyone think it would be a bit odd having Bush,Clinton,Bush,Clinton? More like a monarchy

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He and Kwame had a little riff apparently.... Kwame asked Barack how he would feel standing next to a 6 foot 4 black man, and Barack responded, "well itll be fine as long as u get rid of the diamond stud" "

Obama's secret service detail should have tackled Kwame for that one :D

(Message edited by thejesus on May 07, 2007)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

his honesty is refreshing,,,, tough love . At least he stays on message and doesn't try to pander to the crowds... This guy is great and for real.

There is a strange connection between Hilary and the Bush family...they are playing it down but with her and Daddy Bush's business dealings in Europe I agree with Chitaku....

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw, who here sees Obama getting more than 40% of the popular vote if he's nominated..raise your hand

Quinn

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran...what are those dealings? I'd like to know...honestly give us some info or links or something.

I could say the same about Obama and ties to Chicago mafia...but I don't have anything to back it up so I don't. But it could stick all the same.

I don't see any connection between the clintons (totally not socially connected to anything) and the BUSH Dynasty.

Have you seen "The Good Shepard" that just came out? Bit too long, but gives you a glimpse at the priveledge and ridiculousness of life the Bushes are mired in.

In the end, if it's Obama and some half-baked twit like McCain or Romney I'll actually go out and poll-work for Obama.

Monarchy? Father leaving his seat to his son compared to Wife taking over for husband?

One is traditional BS, the other is incredibly progressive.

Apples and oranges in my mind.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama is willing though to offer another tax payer bailout this time to the Big Three to take care of their lavish retiree health care premiums.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4384
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is still too white for Kwame.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quin I am still searching for the credible source ...I keep coming up with crazy sites...However, the original article went something like this:

There is a connection with WTI and BCCI (bank of credit and commerce)....

What was interesting is that there was a connection to a business in Europe that either she was on the board or did some legal work...

I don't like to think that there is anything illegal going on to get people elected and generally hate thos sites that has conspiracy all over...but suddenly Murdoch and others who have hated the Clinton's have been awfully silent...

I hope I am wrong...even if I am only part right I am for Obama,Edwards, Richarson or anyone else who is not a political insider..think of it this way (I was a strong Clinton supporter and Bush 1) so this is difficult, but if she gets elected they would have controlled our country for 20 + years....

I would love to see any one no matter which race creed or gender in the White house who truly puts this countries interests at heart.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Obama is going to make a fine leader given the chance.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Monarchy? Father leaving his seat to his son compared to Wife taking over for husband?

One is traditional BS, the other is incredibly progressive.

Apples and oranges in my mind.

So Queens haven't been taking over for their deceased husbands for hundreds of years? It's the exact same thing. How is it more "progressive" to have someone with a vagina take over just because of what their last name is instead of someone with a penis taking over because of what their last name is? That's not progressive, that's a dynasty no matter how you look at it. Hilary has been acting like she is entitled to the White House ever since 2000, starting when she carpetbagged her way up north to New York so she could become a Senator in a more "high profile" state despite having lived there for only three years. If she wasn't married to Bill Clinton, she wouldn't even be in the race right now. Her support comes from her husband's popularity.

What has she done on her own? Vote to authorize the war in Iraq? Yeah, thanks a ton for that one Hilary, she helped get us into this mess when 23 other Democrats in the Senate voted "no." That alone should torpedo her ass, Obama opposed this war from the beginning so at least he isn't a hypocrite like Hilary. Hilary supported this war up until it wasn't "popular" anymore, then she flip-flopped. There are Democrats in the race who have been consistent with their opposition to this war since day one, Hilary is not one of them.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are Democrats in the race who have been consistent with their opposition to this war since day one, Hilary is not one of them."

Neither was Kerry...

But I liked all that you said!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame's gonna endorse who his momma endorses and last time I checked the Congressional Black Caucus (which Carolyn is the head of) wasn't exactly rallying behind Obama.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama is right on the money. Time for the "Big Three" to stop whistling past the auto graveyard. Time for Kwame to grow up and stop acting the fool.

Quinn

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Article in Newseek about the Obama Visit...and I agree with it.

"How Obama's tough talk backfired in Detroit

Barack's Sister Souljah Moment?
The Democratic candidate's tough rhetoric backfired in Detroit. Plus, griping about gas prices."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18 620352/site/newsweek/

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama... took aim at the decision-making of the leaders of its bread-and-butter industry – automobiles – saying Detroit automakers miscalculated the need for fuel-efficient vehicles and must change.

...Obama said “the tyranny of oil” threatens to destroy the country’s way of life by undermining security and the economy.

And the U.S. auto industry is a big part of the problem, Obama said... “Automakers still refuse to make the transition to fuel-efficient production because they say it’s too expensive at a time when they’re losing profits and struggling under the weight of massive healthcare costs, but expensive is no longer an excuse for inaction.”

“The auto industry is on a path that is unacceptable and unsustainable – for their business, for their workers and for America.”

Why the criticism? Is that not the truth?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2132
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pinning the consequences of American behavior on the domestic auto industry does not speak to the truth

Quinn

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taking quotes out of context does not speak the truth either, Lilpup, but some people will do whatever they want to make their point (i.e. Fox Snewz)

Here are some to make my point, only I posted the whole article so people can make their minds up...

--------------

"People were looking for so much more from Barack Obama," Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick told me. "He left a lot to be desired with that message."

Sen. Obama embarrassed himself in Detroit with his lack of understanding of the problems facing the automobile industry, and what it will really take to fix them," the conservative-leaning Detroit News said in an editorial beside a political cartoon mocking Obama for criticizing a Detroit SUV that turns out to be a Toyota Land Cruiser.

During his speech, the auto execs in the crowd—and there were many—began muttering that he didn't know what he was talking about. (One factual gaffe getting a lot of traction is Obama's assertion that Japanese cars average 45mpg, when the actual mileage is closer 30mpg). "It was definitely uncomfortable," says Eric Foster, a Detroit political consultant who sat near tables full of auto execs.

If Obama hopes to win the White House, he might make his next drive through Detroit more of a joy ride.

--------------

I think that what Barack says is important, but to concentrate on just Detroit and huge SUV's and "it's the fault of the auto industry" is a huge mistake.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 883
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He ignores the multitude of high mileage cars offered by the big three has well as GMs massive investment in fuel cells.

Fury13

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He ignores the multitude of high mileage cars offered by the big three..."

What "multitude"? None of the so-called Big Three make a non-hybrid car that gets 30 mpg in the city. That's mediocre, and Obama has that one right.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude- the ONLY non-hybrid cars that get 30+ miles in the City are the miniature Yaris, Fit, Versa; Civic and Corolla just made the cut at 30. Those vehicles are so small they're not practical for most people. You certainly wouldn't find me driving one.
I wouldn't exactly say they have a "multitude" either, generally one or maybe two vehicle per manufacturer.
Domestics do have a fair number in the high 20's and come close to 30 MPG City with the Focus, etc.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, I wonder if Obama would carry Livingston and Macomb. hahahahahahahaha
I'd vote for him over Hillary, though. Not sure which way I'd go in a Rudy-Barack throw down.
Sadly, I think there are too many racists out there to elect a black man or woman president. Anyone who reads the sickening rhetoric here on DY knows that.
But if he were to win, alas, I can almost see the "KING BARACK" posts.

Fury13

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dude- the ONLY non-hybrid cars that get 30+ miles in the City are the miniature Yaris, Fit, Versa; Civic and Corolla just made the cut at 30."

These are the "small-on-the-outside-but-big- on-the-inside" cars that many, many people are shifting to as gas prices continue to rise. The Civic and Corolla, in particular, are extremely popular (because they are simply well-designed, efficient cars that fulfill their purpose so well), and will likely see sales booms in the next couple of years.

These kinds of cars will become the norm. Your Chargers, Impalas, etc., will become the exception -- or extinct.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.