Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Question: Lee Plaza roof « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon me if this was covered before I joined the forum... does anyone know the story behind the copper roof disappearing from the Lee Plaza building on Grand Blvd.? I'm basically wondering if there was a legitimate reason for it being removed. In my opinion, Lee Plaza is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAS one of the most beautiful......:-(

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scrappers. I think Lowell or AIW or one of the other photogs did something on it as it was happening.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several related threads but here is one of them: Archives - Beginning January 2006: Lee Plaza Roof Completely Stripped.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I joined the forum,one of the questions was something like, "What is your favorite building or maybe abandoned building in the city?" I immediately answered The Lee Plaza. I haven't even looked at the building in a while. I can't believe the roof is gone. That breaks my heart, I always thought that maybe that building was going to make it.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thread that Jimaz posted belongs among the Hall of Fame, even if it's not your typical HoF thread. It pretty well documents the destruction of a major Detroit building, something that went completely unreported in the local media, and everyone's helplessness at doing anything about it.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It heard through the grapevine it took 5 men from Houston less than two days to strip Lee Plaza clean as a whistle and then transport it down to Texas on two flatbed trailers.

Here are some pics of the old Lee Plaza Roof being reinstalled here in Texas at a VERY nice place 95 miles north of Houston. The copper cleaning from what I heard was difficult but with illegal immigrant labor was cost effective. They also did the reinstallation for a reasonable price from what I understand.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5472
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to be kidding me. I thought the scrapping would have stopped after the Lee Plaza's lion ornamentation was found in Chicago. I know the city is in tough financial straits, but they should sue the hell out of whoever they can to send a message that you can't deconstruct Detroit without a fair sell. The Lee Plaza is a city-owned property. But, you never know, this could have very likely been an inside job.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 07, 2007)

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure the scrapping is going to stop because you wish it. Crap economy coupled with record scrap prices only indicates an increase. You are not studying economics are you?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 713
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A crappy economy has nothing to do with people from other cities coming in and stripping your buildings.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5473
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy, what in the world are you talking about? Scrapping is illegal, period, and nothing justifies it. The city's silence on this city-owned property is essentially condoning this illegal practice, and that the mainstream media never did much of a story on this and never followed it up is really telling of how much the greater community cares about itself.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have storage space they can lend me for this extra roof I have...its really nice. I think it came from some building in Detroit...

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish someone would start a vigilante style war on scrappers

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, how do you know that is Lee Plaza roof in those pics?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 981
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. In that last pic the roof does look a bit too smooth and new. There aren't any marks on it, pits, or anything really. Even with refinishing, I don't think that they can get it that perfect.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charpaul, I think we should form a posse and go sneak down to Texas and restrip that building in the middle of the night and return the roof to its rightful owner (if it is in fact the Lee's). Hey, if it was able to be stripped in a matter of minutes, why can't it be the same there? :-)

I can't see this rumor being true, though.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4386
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the thread we had about assholes stealing the front fencing from the CVS on Jefferson? We actually had several people on here blame the theft on the economy.

Dougw

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure Quozl was joking, the bit about illegal immigrant labor was the clincher.

Dougw

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, a vigilante style war on scrappers would be thoroughly enjoyable.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5/29/2007

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 291
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt the Train station have a copper roof too? I remember seeing guys up there taking it back in the late 80's -- early 90's.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5605
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the flat-roofed MCS?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least parts of the slope-roofed waiting room and concourse may be copper on the MC Depot, but the office tower roof definitely never was. Maybe it had copper vents or flashing, though.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The waiting room/concourse had copper roofing.
I hired illegal immigrants to peel it off, and in the process several sheets fell on some cute kittens, crushing them.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lee plaza roof went right before the YMCA on jefferson at waterworks was hit.
it was a walgreens not cvs on jefferson. scrap yards are the problem as are bullets.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.