Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Michigan Travel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's almost summer time, or is depending who you ask. I want to know where Detroiters like to travel in the state? What are your favorite vacation spots? And how many of you have made stops in Bay City/Sagainaw area for trips?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 960
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been to Bay City a few weekends to help my brother fix up his place on the Bay. Downtown Bay City was quite nice and it helps that isn't as far as some other vacation spots. Interesting thing that I noticed when walking out in the water was how shallow it is. I walked out as far as I could until I got bored, and I don't think that I was ever mor ethan halfway under. I guess that might keep down the number of large boats.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sleeping Bear Dunes, it's been a yearly ritual for the last 15 years.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving up M-25 from Port Huron all along the water in the thumb is a nice day trip. Lot's of nice little places to stop.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the only deep areas of the bay are the unnatural shipping channels, it takes along time for it to get deep along the southern edge toward bay city.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinac Island. Of the up north cities, Harbor Springs and Cheboygan are my favorites. St. Ignace is nicer than Mackinaw City, in my opinion. While it is not a 'quick' getaway, you just gotta go to the central/western UP and appreciate the more rugged side of Michigan. Marquette is also a fine city.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mackinac Island. Of the up north cities, Harbor Springs and Cheboygan are my favorites. St. Ignace is nicer than Mackinaw City, in my opinion. While it is not a 'quick' getaway, you just gotta go to the central/western UP and appreciate the more rugged side of Michigan. Marquette is also a fine city.

All good choices. I'd throw Petoskey into the Harbor Springs, Cheboygan mix as well.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elk Rapids, just north of Traverse City. Really nice place with super residents. I'll be there in July.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have spent several vacations over the years at Canadian Lakes Resort. Great home rentals there and beautiful lakes. Mackinaw and Grand Rapids are other spots we've visited in Michigan. We have family in Hale and go there occasionally.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 980
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp (if you want to call that travel). I went up there for the last 4 years. Can't make it this year on account of my trip to Seoul. Too bad, it's a really fun place. That whole area is nice.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BeadGrl and I took a roadtrip down US-12 last June. Started in Dearborn and ended up in New Buffalo. Lots of small towns and interesting history we picked up along the way. Not very touristy at all (except the Irish Hills a wee bit) and that's the way I like it. Other good spots are M-25 around the thumb and really the entire sunrise side. It's much more secluded and cheaper than the west coast. The Super 8 motel in Oscoda is right on the beach and they have bonfires, weather permitting. Also, the indoor pool is open 24-7. Try finding Negwegon State Park, it's a real treat. Basically, it's just a beach on Lake Huron and some hiking trails.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt lives up in Paradise near Tahquamenon Falls. Beyond the Falls, there aren't many "attractions" other than exploring along the back roads or hanging out on the beach.
The skeeters and black flies can be atrocious, though.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in college, a friend of mine worked at WBCM, which had studios in the Winona Hotel, so I visited Bay City quite frequently.

The last major vacation Dora and I took, we came across U.S. 2 from Escanaba to St. Ignace (meaning I've been to both ends of the western section. Now I have to work on the middle), and toured Mackinac Island. A trip I would do again in a heartbeat, along with the rest of the circle from the Soo to Thunder Bay.

I also really like the Grand Traverse Bay area, basically M-22 from Frankfort on around the Leelanau Peninsula. The Glen Lake area is also nice.....

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We go up to Glennie several times during the year due to family having vacation homes up there. (Northern Michigan, eastside of state nearest to Oscoda) It's a great little town with nearby campgrounds, golfing and easy access to the Au Sable. And the ladies at the Chat-n-Chew are some of the sweetest waitresses anywhere!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most fun Michigan festival of the year is the ODPC Funfest in Evart July 19-22.

http://www.dulcimers.com/evart page.html

It started out as a Dulcimer festival, but has developed into a happening for all stringed instruments. More than 200 free workshops for rank beginners to advanced players. Non-stop informal jams going on all the time. Cheap. People start showing up from all over the continent in early June and just start playing music.
dave

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5310
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-60 from Jackson to Lake Michigan is a great alternative to driving I-94. This is the route we took as a family to Chicago in the 1940s. It is a nice quiet drive with small towns full of scenery and history.

Then, you can take US12, US 112, US 20, around into Chicago through The Northern Indiana District, one of the most impressive industrial ruins in the world.

jjaba.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up north to go trout fishing.I go to Grayling often.Also Lake,Manistee & Wexford counties to fish. Many pretty areas areas to see there.
Never spent any time in the Saginaw/Bay City area-just drove past them heading up I-75

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look here,
http://www.360michigan.net

Some interesting locations in Michigan

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One year we took a pickup camper and did the circle of Lake Superior, starting at the Soo. Was a fantastic trip with two memories:
(1) Lousiest pizza I ever had in Wawa
(2) Wife got bit by a black fly in White River
(3) Smell of the paper mills coming across Rainy Lake back into the US at Minnesota.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bay City has more to offer tourists than Saginaw.

Saginaw: Japanese Tea House, Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge, Frankenmuth, Children's Zoo.

Bay City: Hisotric Downtown, Lively Midland Street Nightlife, Lumber Baron's mansions, Bay City State Park, Frank's Bait Shop, Deer Acres Amusement Park, Pinconning Cheese/Ice Cream stores.

I have a place in the Huron National Forest I keep as my fortress of solitude. No phone, internet, cable. Quiet nights, bonfires lakeside, and a bar with good food.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 829
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, but you missed the combination resturant/gas station/post office/ general store in Montreal River Harbor, Serendipity Garden Cafe in Rossport, and the really crappy Prince Arthur Hotel in Thunder Bay.

(Message edited by douglasm on May 07, 2007)

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Wife and I hit a bunch of waterfalls up in the western UP in the late 90's. Had a tenting- backpacking-suntan lotion-bug spray-black fly-mosquito-thunderstorming-h umid-29 waterfall-$5 showers(15 miles from campsite) good time? Yes. The waterfalls were unique and top notch. Worth the trip.

Our favorite areas are Tawas State Park, Luddington State Park, Mackinac area, Traverse City/Sutton's Bay, Porcupine Mtns., and Pictured Rocks area.

In Bay City, we like the antique shops,(quite large).

(Message edited by Warrenite84 on May 08, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in CA, but when I was in the area:

Memorial Day we'd usually go camping with GF's family and friends at the Pinery in Ontario. Always fun.

Otherwise my grandparents live on Lake Michigan in Holland an uncle lives in Grand Haven, and an aunt lives in Chicago. So it was usually 1 of those 3 on any given little weekend. Always nice you could make it an easy Friday drive over Sunday evening drive back.

I've been to Mackinac Island once when I was a little kid. Otherwise any place north of I96 is pretty much new territory for me. :-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.