Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Abandoned Detroit School Buildings? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 284
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It disturbs me how quickly these school houses are destroyed. What can be done to save these buildings? What do people propose? Anyone have pics?

Swbaby12345
Username: Swbaby12345

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mcmillian elementry school. vacent since 2001 i think. delray.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my old elementry school recently closed.
Ferry, on the east side. So sad but at least I got to take my son on a tour prior to it closing.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some of the newer buildings arent anything to jump up and down for... Winfry comes to mind. However, if older schools such as southeastern or denby ever close... it will be a sad day for the tradition that once was DPS. My father went to denby and still holds several polevaulting records there, set back in 58'.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 958
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that schools can convert rather easily into lofts. Here is a good recent example: http://www.lelandlofts.com/int ro.php Better to at least keep the building and use it as something else than gone for ever.

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte
The school you are talking about is smack dab downtown. Great area.
While conversion is a good thing If you have not been to this area of lately you would understand why Ferry School would not be a financially fesible investment for conversion, at least not anytime in the near future.

I honestly, would not let my pet roach live in my old nabe. Id rather live downtown.

Start from the center of downtown and move on out with development.
Anyone who would consider living there right now would have to be certifiable.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 964
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah no definitely true. Leland is basically the most ideal location being just outside of the CBD and near Eastern Market, and yet just off the beaten path of Gratiot. One would like to think that the Old Cass tech would be able to have similar luck. The schools further out, who knows at this point?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apart from the budget issues I do not know why school's are closing. I understand that the budget is a huge issue but from what I understand from what DetroitTeacher has said on this forum is that her classes are overflowing with students and many other teachers are having this same problem. The city should rebalance the books with more emphasis on education and less pay-off's to Kwame's boys doing shitty construction jobs around the city.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.vip.mud.yaho o.com/photos/tedguy49/88668718 /in/set-72157594449128501/

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j oeyharrison/sets/7215759418774 6238/

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroityes.com/nhoo d/13northeastern.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.