Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Convention Hall « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK Jjaba ray1936, and others, here's one to stir up dusty memories. Does anyone remember the old Convention Hall which extended between Woodward and Cass, and I believe, was just south of Forest. The main thing I remember from that place was an ice cream treat which consisted of an extended cake cone. The guy would unwrap a rectangular shaped block of ice cream and insert it into the cone, and then dip it into melted chocolate, and finally sprinkle it with nuts. I can't begin to remember who sold those, but I sure can remember them as a real treat for a young kid. Any takers??

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those cones! Didnt they cut the block of ice cream in half so they could get 2 cones? I used to get one every time we went to the Sportsman Shows at the Old West Light Guard Armory! The Sportsman Show was later to become Outdoorama

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swede, I only vaguely remember the old convention hall on Woodward when Dad took me there once for a fishing/hunting show. Must have been around 1946 or so. Can't recall the ice cream bar, though, which is surprising because I'm still an ice cream junkie.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray..One show I can date there was the one that celebrated WWJ (now WDIV)beginning broadcasting. They had a couple of those huge B & W cameras, and gave us an idea what a TV show entailed then.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad and I attended some of the old Detroit Sportmens Shows at that old Convention Hall. They had a really neat display set up for fly fishermen.
And those old square vanilla , dipped-in-chocolate ice cream cones used to be twenty-five cents. Now Ryba sells the same thing at the Detroit Boat Show for 4 bucks.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Almanac tells me that before the Convention Hall, it was the site of the Woodward Avenue Grounds from 1850-1913. It hosted baseball and cricket games.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.