Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sweeps month on local TV « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it might be fun if we kept an eye on the local TV "news" during the May sweeps period. I'll start by saying that Channel 7's story by Bill Spencer on how to escape a burning plane was ridiculous. What percentage of the viewers will ever experience a plane crash? Of that group that does crash, what percentage will live and have to worry about getting out of the plane? It was almost funny to watch.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I won't be watching Detroit TV, but out here in Las Vegas I will be a Nielsen rater next week. Haven't got the package yet, but a post card received today says:

"Your DIARY is very important regardless of whether you watch just a little or a lot of TV. Please fill out and mail back the Diary. Thank you very much".

Well, PBS, Discovery, and The History Channel will prolly get a bump in the ratings due to my participation. The reality shows (other than hockey!) will take a dive..........

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family has been a Nielsen family for over a year. We don't fill out diaries, but we wear little beeper looking devices that monitor our radio and TV habits. Plus each member gets a big 15 dollars a month!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've decided for May to watch only the six o'clock news for the first five minutes and then it's on to the "Simpsons". The "sweeps" stories at 11 are ridiculous, and I see that many of these stories are being repeated on the five or six o'clock newscasts as well. Many of these stories are shameless, and the promos are deceptive. You wait for a story you think is "juicy" and it turns out to be nothing. Well, I'm not falling for that again. :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still reeling over Karen Drew's hard-hitting expose of the Girl Scout cookie money scandal.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 425
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Wilson is picking on Kwame again.

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Derricke Dennis LOCAL 4 NEWS reporter standing in the hole of the caved in pourch in the breaking news from the westside last night.Two Fat uncles freed by DFD whether it’s breaking news, or one on one interviews, Derricke is known for his sensitive, compassionate and versatile reporting.

Over the years, he has covered some of the biggest stories in Detroit: elections, auto shows, Pistons basketball, the Blackout of 2003, and Superbowl XL. He has also reported LIVE from New Orleans on the devastation left by Hurricane Katrina. However, Derricke is most proud of being the only television reporter in the country on the scene.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Derricke Dennis is the equivalent to the Hindenburg disaster reporter. Every story he reports on you are just waiting to hear him say, "Oh, the humanity."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.