Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Notre Dame HS Dances « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long did Notre Dame HS have their popular dances for? Were they a weekly event?? From what I understand, Notre Dame dances were the place to be for kids on the east side. I guess there were great bands and lots of kids. My parents used to go to them, yet they attended Denby. Anyone remember these dances?

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick,
right out of the notre dame 1969 yearbook:
"Top Detroit night scene is ND record hops Top bands, top D.J.s tops in entertainment
Lively bands! Throughout 1969, Fr. Bryson entertained Detroit-area young people with a continuos lineup
of lively bands. Frost, Bob Seeger System, and a variety of lesser know bands performed at the ND Greenroom during the school year. keeping hundreds fo teenyboppers amused. Playing a vital role int the Notre Dame financial picture, the Friday night dances gained fame not only through Tempo magazine, but also by featuring, in the past years, such stars as Smokey Robinson, The Rolling Stones and the MC-5."

From what I hear the Friday night dances started in the 60's, you had to have a dance card ID to gain admission. there was a dress code and once you could not leave the dance once admitted (so kids wouldn't go to their cars to neck or drink). In the later 60's and 70s concerts in the gym were more prominent featuring local bands like the Amboy Dukes with Ted Nugent, Bob Seeger,Frost, SRC, Savage Grace, Frigid Pink.
Kids from all over the east side of Detroit and the neighboring suburbs would crowd into the gym. The concerts were a lot more lax as far as dress codes, etc.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4349
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stones played there? I know The Who played at Southfield High, and Seager played every HS gym he could during that time period.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom said she saw Iggy at Notre Dane

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.friendsofnotredame. com/

Scroll down to the Fr Bryson part.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in the 1960s, fr. bryson was able to many of the local disc jockeys to host the dance on a friday night for around $100. dick purtan was one of them

in motown's early days, they were happy to send 'new' talent to the dances to lipsync their new songs. stevie wonder, the supremes, and marvin gaye are a few who appeared.

are any of you posters alumni of the school?

i graduated in 1966 and am still in contact with fr. bryson.

jim

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to go to ND dances 1965-1968. I saw many of the Motown artists lip syncing to their hits. Once there was an ND vs. Austin basketball game going on concurrently with the dance. Fr. Bryson had Stevie Wonder at the dance so he had him come to the game and perform at halftime. I think he did "Fingertips". Some yahoo from Austin yelled out a racial slur. A couple of ND students went over and tried to take care of the the Austin kid. Before they could, Austin staff caught the kid and kicked him out.

Come to think of it, many kids came to the dances specifically for the fights. There was always at least one fight during or after each dance.

ND-Class of "68"

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went there a year and a half. '71-'72
But I needed Girls! and Shop!
so off to Osborn!

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Stones played at ND before their popularity during the British invasion. Don't know what year. Father Bryson knew many DJs and thus would have a connection to bring in big acts to ND if they happened to be in town. Bob Seeger got a lot of publicity via CKLW radio and playing the local high school circuit. I remember Fr. Bryson cancelling the Ides of March concert (known for the song "I'm your vehicle") and suspending the concerts indefinitely due to a gym window being shot out during or shortly after one the winter 1971 concerts. I don't recall Iggy (The Stooges) performing at ND. I could imagine Fr. Bryson telling Iggy to keep his shirt on and stop writhing around on stage (LOL)
ND class '71

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 866
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and the funniest part would be Father Bryson saying "shirt" with that accent of his, and the Ig wondering what the hell he just heard... Like, keep WHAT, man?...

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Bryson would not allow bands to play "Louie, Louie" because of the alleged "dirty" lyrics.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.