Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crosswalk lights - twisting in the wind? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it so many of the downtown "walk/don't walk" signs don't actually face the pedestrians who use/need them? Is this a vandalism phenomenon perpetrated by someone just to annoy us (my theory), or is there something deficient in how these lights are anchored in place? Has anyone else noticed this?

It's bad enough that so many crosswalk lights aren't working. But why so are many working ones twisted and unviewable? See Grand River and Bagley intersection, for example.

Detroitgalaxian
Username: Detroitgalaxian

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave -

Older intersections tend to have tighter corners with signal poles placed closer to the road. When this exists, truck and bus drivers have to put more effort into setting-up and making right turns around these corners. The twisted and broken signals are the result of sloppy driving in which a vehicle has made a turn too tightly - clipping the signal. (As a result, the signals will almost always be twisted clockwise.)

And as you've noticed - it seems like almost 60% of the pedestrian signals in the city are burnt out at any given time.

Ryan K

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ryan - I never would have guessed vehicles were doing this. I'm surprised that the sun shields on these lights don't show much damage if trucks are doing this.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh do pedestrians still use those?? In Hamtramck they don't!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Vegas "Don't Walk" means "Run like Hell".

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's not even enough traffic in Detroit to have to wait for the cross-walk signal.

Just look both ways and walk.

Otherwise just walk down the center of the street and make all the cars stop for you. I've seen that more often than people waiting for the signals.

I always wanna lay on the horn or make the person think I'm not gonna stop. But then I'd get shot or they'd jump in front of my car and proceed to sue me.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Oh do pedestrians still use those?? In Hamtramck they don't!!"

Usually no because as Jerome said, the lack of traffic and the crazy traffic flow overall. Those things are not timed properly combining it with how SE Michigan drivers always go 5-10 MPH above the legal speed limit, pedestrians never win.

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 02, 2007)

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cross-walk lights along with the traffic lights around Campus Martius must be only for decoration.

The park has been done for what 3 or 4 years and they haven't worked in all that time!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NW side of the lights work sometimes.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god for the fine promptly repairs from the cities DPW.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 386
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an example of Detroit crossing signal:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/kodakg roup042907072.jpg?t=1178150504
In Ferndale they have the type that count down:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/trafic signals004.jpg?t=1178151662
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/trafic signals005.jpg?t=1178151712

Urbanize

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh Bulletmagnet, we have those scattered about in Detroit also (mostly in the busy intersections and lively neighborhoods), the Ferndale ones.

I will admit though, our Traffic Signals suck. We really need Federal funding for The Transportation Department (first off to repair the simple things on the roadways before the roads).

Although to be real with it, The COD has been sort of making their intersecton look more organized lately (putting up new TRaffic Signals and Cross Signs and creating center turning lanes for traffic ease). This type of progress has been particularly occuring in the neighborhoods on the Eastside.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet, do those crossing signals in Ferndale also have an audible countdown? The ones in downtown Rochester do, first time I ever witnessed that. Then again, they do a lot of leader dog training there.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 392
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Ferndale is really primitive that way. I know in Japan they have all manner of audible signals. There are chimes and little songs that sound like those Game Boy themes, that inform the peds where to walk. Way cool. I have never been to Japan, but I've been to Rochester, because it’s closer.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will admit though, our Traffic Signals suck. We really need Federal funding for The Transportation Department...

Why should this be a Federal Issue?

Even when cities do find Federal programs that will fund the purchase of equipment or infrastructure needed at the municipal level, it usually comes with many strings attached. The "thickest" string is always the requirement that the money NOT be used for maintenance or refurbishment purposes. To get around that requirement, cities that abuse these Federal programs typically end up removing perfectly good (but poorly maintained) equipment and replace it with brand new equipment, all because they did not want to spend maintenance money from their own budget. Why maintain something when you can just rip it out after a few years and replace it with a newer model, courtesy of Uncle Sam? Who cares if in the long run, a lot more total money is spent than would have been with just doing proper maintenance? After all, it's only "free money" from Washington and we need to get our share of it, right?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You tell 'em Mikeg! Bravo.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are Federal programs that will help defray the cost of Signal upgrades; Money that you see being used on signal upgrades in downtowns and certain areas sometimes come from DDA and TIFA funds or county upgrades not Federal Funds/Grants.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is, we need whatever money and people who can handle it with sense.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I'm afraid you ask too much. How 'bout this: the municipality that needs a light goes out and buys one, and their public works people install and maintain it? Do we really need the Federal Government to do this for us? Yea, I know they steal all our money, but how much does it cost for them to give it back. There’s your defrayment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.