Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Chene East riverfront condo announcement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Bing has his investors in place. Good news

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070502/B IZ/705020387&imw=Y

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like you beat me by a few minutes...

btw, Bing's project is called the Watermark...Chene East is something else that Bettis is doing, though there's a brief mention of it in the article

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right my mistake. It was originally Chene West

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or will their be a lot more wealthy people living within the city limits of Detroit in the upcoming 5+ years. It will be interesting to compare demographics in the future. Detroit may continue to lose population, but increase numbers of households in those upper income brackets.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9009
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there may be more wealthy but the key to a turnaround is maintaining and expanding the middle class which seems to be leaving at a faster rate than coming in.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5448
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not to mention that many of these wealthy residents won't show up in full effect on the tax role for quite a few years.

BTW, what I found more telling than this PR event was that we finally see why Chene East, the smallest of the projects being developed by Betters/Bettis, is taking so long, and it's because Betters/Bettis wants to concentrate on developing the much larger Uniroyal site they were given development rights to, first. It's really kind of surprising, because they could easily just push out Chene East, but it's going to take quite a bit more time and money to make the Uniroyal site, work. I wonder why they don't just get the small Chene East out of the way, first?

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the overall population of the City will continue to decline for some time (5 years IMHO), the average household income will be increasing far beyond inflation. That translates to a bigger tax base, yet fewer demands for services. This should lead to better services. We shall see.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 531
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich, werent there environmental contamination issues with the Uniroyal site...and specifically a dispute over who would pay for the cleanup?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5451
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, which makes me even more confused why they don't just get Chene East out of the way.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.