Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Building next to Cass Cafe « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived downtown for about 4 years now, and the whole time this building has looked to be in beautiful condition, yet it's fenced off. I believe it to be turn of the century. It looks like somebody halfway renovated it and stopped. What gives?

Sorry, no pics.

(Message edited by hans57 on May 01, 2007)

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which building specifically?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building to the right of the Cass Cafe at https://www.atdetroit.com/casscafe/ ccfront.htm. A lot of work has been done on it but it never seems to get finished. One would think it should be a pretty hot property.

Hans57

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Lowell, confusing.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is owned by Wayne State.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story on that building is that the owners of cass cafe and the building in question bought the two together. They had a falling out, each took one building.

The building has been in restoration for about 7 years now. I do not know the delays however there have been several plans floated for retail on the lower level and residences above.

From the rear one can note the addition to the third floor and the new back glass walls.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 537
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 10 years back, that building housed a used book store run by an elderly man. I bought a few paperbacks and spent quit a long time in conversation with the gentleman. He was pretty knowledgeable on worldly events and history.

Later, I heard he was forced to sell, but I don't remember to whom or for what reason.

Hans57

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info folks.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that there appears to be a balcony sort of thing on the back of it. I was going to try to buy it, but it's not for sale. Looks great!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i'm not mistaken my old landlord akbar, who also owns other properties in the area, has something to do with that place

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

admiral akbar

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity: Yes, Mr. Noorkbash owns it. Used to be Little Red Bookstore back in 1990 or so.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasnt that the home of some famous Detroiter? I thought I read that somewhere.

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live across the street from it and have starred at it for 11 years waiting for something to happen. It's worth millions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.