Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 14 Mile/Gratiot gravel pit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For as long as I can remember there has been a gravel pit at 14 Mile and Gratiot. It is right behind Hooters and Jawor’s driving range. What’s the story of this place? How deep is it? You‘d think they would have dug a hole to China by now. Is there a limit in Michigan as to how deep a gravel pit can go?

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that's owned by Marsack Sand & Gravel Company. http://www.yellowbot.com/marsa ck-sand-gravel-incorporated-ro seville-mi.html

I am not a big fan of their double trucks on I-94. They can usually be spotted by the dusty trail of slag they're leaving behind. In my case, it was a piece thru my windshield.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that Roseville could have a really nice lake/giant pond front neighborhood if that land was ever sold. Perhaps a park?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right,

my sister has lived near these since 1964 and it has been there at least that long

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is Marsack's, We dump there all the time. I was there about a month ago, but forgot the camera. The pit is WAY deep, and it is being back filled with dirt, clay and such. You back your truck up to the edge, and let 'er rip. They sell all grades of sand and gravel and I do believe it helped supply the build of I 94.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My story of this place is a little older. Just after the glaciers receded this area was the edge of a lake. That was the shore and the golf course on the other side of I-94 would have been underwater.

Patrick

Post Number: 4322
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how they would fill it up with water to create a lake. It would take years for rainwater to fill it several hundred feet deep.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been filled with water for years, likely just after the first shovel broke ground. The eastside is very flat and the topography/altitude doesn't rise much from Lake St. Clair. As a result the water table isn't too far under the top soil.

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to swim in that gravel pit in the early seventies. There was a farmhouse nearby that was rented by a bunch of hippies. There used to be pretty wild parties at that house

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad says that he used to swim in that gravel pit when he was a kid back in the 30's. He said that it's been there as long as he can remember - he was born in 1919.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad would swim there as well in the 30's. He lived just north of there off of Quinn Road

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to thread jack but that Snoopy airplane in Jawor's has to be 50 years old if not older. It originally belonged to a restaurant in the 12 Mile and Hayes area. I remember seeing it there about 40 years ago. I can't remember the name of the restaurant though. I have been told it was Snoopy's but also have been told it was Borden's.

Ookpik

Bongman

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The restaurant was a fast food place called "Red Baron". It has been Kavan's for over 30 years. A Union 76 station sat in front of it in the early 70's....right where Taco Bell is now.

BBF'S (Borden Burger) was a fast food restaurant that was in the same building as the current "Andrea's Garden" at 12 & Bunert. It used to be a Dimitri's after BBF.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bongman!! :-) That solves a long-time mystery - for me anyway! I remember going to Kavan's in 1973 - so Red Baron would be from at least 35+ years ago. I remember Dimitri's too. I have lived in that area for over 40 years. When I was little, I thought that Snoopy at Red Baron's was the "real" Snoopy.

Ookpik

Patrick

Post Number: 4331
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of statues...what about the big bull on top of Winter's in Eastpointe? I heart at one time they would take you up and you could get your picture taken next to it lol.

Bongman

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcomed ! That flower shop on the corner of 12 & Schoennherr was originally a "Jack-in-the-Box". They still have franchises out West. My jaw dropped in the car when I saw one a couple years ago. Quite a flashback from my youth.

Bongman

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a big bull in front of the "Mr. F's" steakhouse on 14 & Van Dyke (14 is a guess). Wonder if they are the same beast ?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harsensis, did Dino play golf there? If I 94 was under water then, how did Fred and Barney get to work there?

Harsensis

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well at that time where I live was an island, which is the ridge in grosse pointe. And bullet, everybody knows Fred and Barney took Gratoit! There weren't any express ways back then! lol

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? How did the subject change from the gravel pit to landmarks on Gratiot Avenue?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TROLLS!

Harsensis

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They hi-jacked the tread, that's how! Back to the gravel everyone!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not to thread jack but that Snoopy airplane in Jawor's has to be 50 years old if not older. It originally belonged to a restaurant in the 12 Mile and Hayes area. I remember seeing it there about 40 years ago. I can't remember the name of the restaurant though. I have been told it was Snoopy's but also have been told it was Borden's."

Ookpik IS the Leader TROLL. They even admit it in their response.

Anyway, back to the gravel discussion (not particularly exciting, but oh well).

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 547
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a big bull in front of the "Mr. F's" steakhouse on 14 & Van Dyke (14 is a guess). Wonder if they are the same beast ?
______________________________ ___________________

No, that one is at the State Fair Grounds...

Patrick

Post Number: 4486
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're really good you can nail a golfball from the west side of Jawors range (closest to Gratiot) straight over the fence to the pit. It's easy to do it from the east side of the range since you can hook or slice it depending on what hand you are. But to hit a clear straight drive from the furthest side of the range is a great feat lol.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5956
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss those Jack In The Box restaurants in Metro-Detroit area. They fled out west because the competition here with McDonald's Burger King, White Castle, Del Taco and Taco Bell.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of large fiberglass animals, I remember a small ice cream place on Mack with a huge cow head on roof. Used to drive by it on my way to school in the mid 80's. It was out of business at that time, but that head always got my attention.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back on the Gravel pit subject... It looks like they've been around since 1928.

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnb company_nx1lv

Jaj
Username: Jaj

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Hooters at Gratiot/Quinn the old Wishing Well??

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

back in the day, I believe it was the Wish Well. I almost forgot about that joint.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the cow that was in front of Mr F's on Van Dyke and 14 mile road!??? Remember that one? What was that place anyways?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.