Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Campuswatch Issue #88 : March '07 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always an interesting read. The WSUPD is really stepping it up. I am actually a bit more satisfied with all of the traffic stops after reading the last section of this newsletter.

To All Wayne State University Students, Staff and Faculty,

In This Issue:

1) March 2007 Campus Crime Stats
2) March 2007 Campus Crime Summary
3) Monthly Arrest Summary
------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------

1) March 2007 Campus Crime Stats:

- Crimes Reported on the Wayne State University Campus -

March 2007 Jan-March 2007 Jan-March 2006

Homicide 0 0 0

Forcible Sex Offense 0 0 4

Non-Forcible Sex Offense 0 0 0

Robbery 6 9 2

Aggravated Assault 0 2 3

Burglary 7 21 30

Larceny 30 96 130

Vehicle Theft 3 11 8

Arson 0 0 0

2) March 2007 Campus Crime Summary:

ROBBERY: A total of seven robberies were reported during March 2007. Thanks to rapid reporting, citizen involvement and rapid response, the perpetrators in some of the incidents were arrested a short distance away. The incidents are as follows:
On March 6th at 11:53am, a 23 year old male student reported he was exiting the Student Center Building when an unknown subject approached him from behind and snatched his gold Cartier prescription glasses off his face. The subject then ran east through campus with the uninjured victim chasing him on foot. The victim lost sight of the subject in the area of Woodward and Putnam.
Several minutes later, a second similar unarmed robbery was reported on the Merrick footbridge over the Lodge freeway. In this incident another male student reported he was crossing over the freeway footbridge when he was bumped from behind by an unknown male who then grabbed the victim's Cartier prescription glasses from his face. The perpetrator then ran westbound towards Matthaei. Responding Officers obtained a clothing description and detained a subject, matching the clothing description exactly, at W. Warren at the Lodge freeway. The second victim positively identified the subject as the person who stole his glasses. The subject (a juvenile) was arrested and turned over to the Youth Section. He remains in custody at the Wayne County Youth Home. He is charged with the above two WSU robbery incidents and four other non-WSU criminal cases.
On March 23rd, a WSU male student reported he was confronted by two male subjects on Anthony Wayne Drive north of Warren at about 11:30pm. One of the subjects pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded, "Give me all you have". The student threw his wallet on the ground. The perpetrators picked up the wallet and ran eastbound on Warren. The male student was not injured. The perpetrators descriptions were broadcast and Detroit Police Officers stopped two matching subjects, on Second near Forest, where one subject was found to have a handgun in his possession. Both subjects were arrested, however the student was unable to positively identify either subject as his assailants.
On March 27th, a 23 year old male student reported he was walking on W. Warren near Trumbull sometime between 11pm and midnight on March 26th. There, he was approached by four unknown teenaged subjects, one of which attempted to grab him from behind. The student broke free and tried to back away from the subjects. One of the subjects then grabbed the students MP3 player and demanded the students wallet and money. The student refused and continued backing up. The four subjects then ran off with the stolen MP3 player. The uninjured student went home, but did not report the incident until 18 hours later.
A near campus robbery incident, involving a 20 year old male student, occurred at 10:50pm on March 27th, near Second and Prentis. The student reports he was approached by two subjects on bikes who demanded his money. The student surrendered his wallet to one subject who looked through it and gave it back when he found no money inside it. The subject then demanded the students cell phone, which was surrendered to the two subjects who then rode off. The uninjured student called 911 and was told to go to the DPD Central District to report the crime. The student decided not to go to the Central District and apparently went home.
At approximately 11:30pm a friend of the victim told him that he believed the two subjects who robbed him were back in the area of Second and Prentis. WSUPD was then notified and four scout cars were immediately dispatched. However, an area search failed to locate anyone matching the description of the two subjects on bikes. TIP: NEVER call 911 for any Police, Fire or Medical Emergency. Always call WSUPD Dispatch (313-577-2222) for immediate response and assistance.
On March 29th at 2:50pm a 23 year old female student reports she was walking north on Cass at W. Ferry when she was approached by two unknown subjects. Both subjects forcibly shoved her and one subject snatched the students purse. Both then fled westbound on the Ferry Mall. A male student heard the woman scream, "Call the police!", and saw both subjects running. The witness chased the subject with the purse, catching him near the south side of the Law School. There he held the subject while others called WSUPD. Arriving Officers arrested the subject who was chased down and held by the witness. The purse and all the contents were returned to the uninjured female student. A WSUPD K-9 unit tracked the second subject to the area of Third and Holden (north of I-94) where the scent was lost.
The arrested subject was charged with Robbery Not Armed and his case is pending in the Wayne County Court system. He is identified as Robert O'Neal Chambliss, 18 years of age, with no affiliation to WSU.
The last robbery incident occurred on March 31st at 3:20am when a 19 year old female student reports she was the victim of a purse snatching on Anthony Wayne Drive at W. Kirby. The victim states she was talking on her cell phone when she was approached by an unknown male who attempted to engage her in conversation. The student states she tried to ignore the subject and kept walking while talking on her cell phone. While trying to walk away from the subject, she felt he purse strap break and saw the unknown male run west on Kirby with her purse. The subject got into a older white vehicle, parked on Anthony Wayne Drive, and fled northbound. The student was not uninjured, but lost a purse containing miscellaneous identification, a credit card, OneCard and assorted keys.

BURGLARY: Seven incident of burglary to campus buildings were reported during March 2007. The buildings involved were: the Karmanos Cancer Institute (2 incidents), Student Center Building, Old Main, South Residence Hall, Biological Sciences Building and the Towers Residential Suites.

LARCENY: Thirty incidents of Larceny (theft of unattended property) were reported during March. Items left unattended and subsequently stolen include: cells phones (4), purses (5), wallets (4), laptop computers (3), book bags with books (3), and assorted tools.

VEHICLE THEFT: Three vehicles were reported stolen from WSU parking facilities during March. The first occurred on March 5th when a 1993 Plymouth Voyager was taken from the parking lot south of Palmer and east of John R. The second occurred on March 15th when a 1999 Buick LeSabre was stolen from Antoinette and Cass, and the last occurred on March 19th when a 1990 GMC Sierra pickup was stolen from Anthony Wayne Drive at Kirby.

Near campus vehicle thefts, reported to WSUPD during March, include:

March 6th Third and Prentis 1991 Plymouth Acclaim
March 20th Woodward at Alexandrine 1994 Jeep Wrangler
March 21st Front of 943 W. Willis 1993 Ford Taurus
March 22nd Rear of 642 Prentis 1993 Mercury
3) Arrest Summary:

In addition to the arrests described above, Officers made 46 other arrests, for the following offenses, during March 2007:

Drive While License Suspended 6
Misdemeanor Warrants 10
Domestic Violence 2
Felony Warrants 1
Drunk Driving 4
Disorderly Conduct 1
Parole Violation 2
Fugitive Warrants 7
Possession of Stolen Vehicle 1
Violation Controlled Substances 2
Breaking & Entering Vehicle 5
Assault & Battery 3
No Operators Permit 1
Retail Fraud 1
Larceny 1

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like things haven't changed since I went there 25 years ago. It still amazes me that supposedly intelligent college students are walking around the area after 11:00 PM, especially the one student at 3:20 AM.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually looks like the trends are down over the past year. Can anyone confirm this?

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looked like a bad month to be a 23 year old male....

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i find this part both comical and troubling, because its true

quote:

TIP: NEVER call 911 for any Police, Fire or Medical Emergency. Always call WSUPD Dispatch (313-577-2222) for immediate response and assistance

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redvetred, do you suggest that we [intelligent college students] stay holed up in fortresses after 10 pm or only commute from the suburbs?

I live here [in the Cass Corridor] without a car and I walk everywhere. I think the WSU PD does a pretty good job. When I'm walking about at night I try to stick with friends or have my cell phone ready to call the police at any given time.

Why do so many people at my school have Cartier glasses!? The statistics of WSU wearing Cartier are staggering.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5849
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! 911 is for immediate national crisis ONLY. If you're in you're own hood just call your precint that you're living or visiting and the know the hood. Being street smart is a way to prevent yourself for ending up in the wrong place in the wrong time.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I have seen a lot of girls with real Coach and LV bags driving $50k Beemers. Wayne State is not the place to flaunt wealth, yet people continue to do it. I always see girls dolled up like they are going to the club.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sexy even

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4313
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, some of the guys get as dressed up as the women. I thought the whole metrosexual thing died about two years ago. I guess striped dress shirts are all the rage amongst certain groups.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.