Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wyland « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought i read HERE that the Wyland Whales were painted over?

i was just downtown this morning and saw it in its full glory...

i happen to like it, its an interesting use of that side of the building with minimal windows...

david

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not painted over, but covered over with a tarp with an ad on it for a while.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9017
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they let them up for air.

I like seeing them again, too.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 429
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After having seen the ads, and then now seeing the dolphins again, I definitely think that the mural looks much better. Welcome back. For those that cant stand them, I must say that I see many, many Tiger fans snapping photos of the building because of the dolphins. I think it is a nice image for downtown

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i went in his studio in San Francisco last summer and saw all of the BIG cities that had/have murals...

Long Beach
Santa Monica
San Francisco
Auckland ,NZ
Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne, Australia

91 murals in 70 cities in 8 countries in all...

david

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4309
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people think he's just selling himself and his work by having those huge murals. more power to him.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't he grow up in the Detroit area? I understand he also did a mural at his high school pool but I'm not sure which Detroit area high school has a Wyland mural.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W yland

The high school is in Madison Hts.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pam :-)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think we are lucky to have this, He did it for free , way back when , for his hometown,,sure its good exposure but the fact that so many people talk about it, like we are now,, adds interest and character to the city,, mission accomplished by an artist..

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job by the US Outdoor. The reason there are no ads anymore is they failed to adequately anchor and secure what was essentially a two acre sail. The first good winds over 40 MPH ripped the ad to shreds...as well as creating dangerous conditions with massive pieces of fabric blowing through downtown.

This after they swore up and down how safe and fabulous their system was.

I wonder how much damage was done to the facade of the Broderick?

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder how much damage was done to the facade of the Broderick?

Probably none, since that side of the building has an extra layer of protective paint, er... invaluable whale paintings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.