Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Graffiti vs. NYC Graffiti. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://72.14.253.104/search?q= cache:yTg3L_X7lNYJ:www.fraudwa steabuse.com/2007/03/incredibl e-graffiti-covered-building-5- pointz-in-new-york-city.html+h ttp://www.fraudwasteabuse.com/ 2007/03/incredible-graffiti-co vered-building-5-pointz-in-new -york-city.html&hl=en&ct=clnk& cd=1&gl=nz

How does this compare to the graffiti at the Fort St. building, Dequindre Cut, United Artist building and etc.?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolverine from Urbanplanet posted these pictures from the Cut

http://www.facebook.com/album. php?aid=2188929&l=dd013&id=221 1068

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one thing for sure is that it's definatly more plentiful in NYC. i grew up riding the B train from Ft. Hamilton to 34th in Manhattan and also the Q from Sheepshead Bay to the city and used to marvel at all the incredible pieces in the tunnels, on the el's and all the buildings around the stations in the boroughs. looking at the exposed rooftops, ad spaces etc. while driving on the gowanus and the BQE expressways offer fantastic views of some extremely daring, at times stunning pieces too. i haven't seen much here yet ... i definatly want to check out the cut, maybe throw up a piece. i hope it's true that the graffiti will be preserved as it says in that facebook link when they fix it up. it sounds too good to be true tho.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The posted pic is the Phun Factory in Queens. It's not exactly representative of NYC. The owner actively encourages well-known taggers to cover the place with their work.

The Phun Factory is surrounded by new construction. I would be surprised if it weren't eventually converted to condos or demolished and built anew. It's a very valuable piece of property and close to a major subway hub
(Queens Plaza).

Graffiti always struck me as a NYC/Philly/LA/Europe thing. I don't see much graffiti in the Midwest. Compare Chicago and Detroit to the Bronx, Berlin and Rome.

In the U.S., Philly has the most graffiti. Much of it is just mindless tagging. Germany has the best graffiti.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before all the reconstruction projects, Detroit's freeways used to be covered with graffiti.

Crawford

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? When exactly? I can't ever remember freeways "covered with graffiti". Maybe a few tags on the overpasses, but that's about it.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Before all the reconstruction projects,"

Crawford

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a lunar calendar or something? I don't recall a time when there was no metro freeway construction. I also don't remember highways covered in graffiti.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 505
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on Crawford, you remember the Reconstruction Projects:
quote:

Reconstruction was the attempt from 1865 to 1877 in U.S. history to resolve the issues of the American Civil War, when both the Confederacy and slavery were destroyed. Reconstruction addressed the return of the Southern states that had seceded, the status of ex-Confederate leaders, and the Constitutional and legal status of the African-American Freedmen. Violent controversy arose over how to accomplish those tasks, and by the late 1870s Reconstruction had failed to equally integrate the Freedmen into the legal, political, economic and social system. "Reconstruction" is also the common name for the entire history of the era 1865 to 1877. It was an important time in the State of Michigan as all graffiti was removed from all Detroit area freeways.

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lets all start putting detroit graf on the map then!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must not have driven on the Lodge between I-94 and downtown, I-94 from the southwest border of the city until well past Wayne State, or I-75 from Hamtramck to the I-94 interchange from the early 80s through the late 90s.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you don't remember how Michigan roads were left to basically rot before the late 90s when they started reconstructing everything then I don't know what to say...

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

London graffiti kills all, I think they allow it in certain spots but I was amazed by how much of it there was. It was good stuff too.

BTW, whatever happened to the Turtl??

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 881
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it died when the new redevelopments started take over its habitat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.