Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Book Cadillac Penthouse work. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like new floors are being added. 4/29/2007

Over all images.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As always, thanks for the "sneak peak" on your work.

Some great pics of the grand dame. There's no question that work is going full steam ahead now.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the pics; thanks!

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As has been covered ad nauseum, the two elevator mechanical penthouses were in such terrible condition that they had to be completely removed and rebuilt. No new floors, just replacement of existing penthouses.

(Message edited by skulker on April 30, 2007)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics, thanks. I have a slight sensation of falling looking at a few of them in a row, though...

Looks like they're cleaning the copper roofing. Is there any way to preserve the copper without it turning blue again in a year or two or however long it takes?

I know we had some discussion about copper corrosion before on a Book Building thread. The corrosion somehow seals it, or removing it unseals it or something? Sorry for the lame memory.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They use copper because they want that bluish green patina. If they want a copper reddish color they would use a different finish material.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulkers right because the project wouldn't be eligible for the historic tax credit if new floors were to be added. The new copper will bring new life to the roof though.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting you mentioned the copper thing... the north penthouse has been cleaned, right? For a minute, I thought it had been stripped to wood.

RE: the corrosion, there is a sealer you can put on copper similar to wood sealer that prevents the 'green' corrosion from occurring. I had a bay window installed 10 years ago with copper flashing on top, sealed it up, and still looks like new.

Looks great, thanks for the pics!!

Mjb3
Username: Mjb3

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of miss the old sign? Did they take it down permanently? Once their done, I thing the old Cadillac sign would make a nice touch.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A rooftop pool would look sweet up there. What floor is the pool on anyways?

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! How awesome.

Thanks for the pics Flybydon.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 479
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from the Tigers game. It will be cool to see it lit up for night games.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mjb3-- The old sign used to say "SHERATON CADILLAC" and was added in the fifties after Sheraton bought it. I don't miss the sign; it looked dated (not in a good way) and kind of cheap; a reminder of the ugly renovations that Sheraton did.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 879
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eclectic we like to say Burnsie

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my word how i look forward to enjoying this building in its restored splendor. i can't wait.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics! Man, that has to be the building with the weirdest footprint...it's so deceiving from the ground.

Burnsie

Post Number: 966
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul-- Just because something adds an eclectic touch doesn't mean it's worth keeping. If a Reebok ad had been on top of the BC for years, would you have favored keeping it because it was eclectic?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

View from the Tigers game. It will be cool to see it lit up for night games.

It's lit up for night games now. Has been since Opening Day.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are replacing the red light up sign....remember the renderings? It will say Westin Book Cadillac or something

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 883
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie, my answer is probably. I think that those kind of featurewhat helps separate the city from the suburbs just as much as neon lights, or those old ads painted on the side of buildings that are uncovered from decades ago when the building next to it gets demolished.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those like me who no longer live in CofD yet still love our old hometown, you have no idea what these pictures mean to me. I worked downtown for 10 years, walked by the old girl at least once a week, and always fantasized of what could be, and now "what could be" is becoming "what will be."

Thanks so much for the visual updates. They are most appreciated.

<snif> I'm kinda pherklempt. I need a minute.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Snews has a lot of pics of the Book Caddy restoration (starting from a few months back to a few weeks ago). It's right at the top of the home page: www.detnews.com

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5851
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New widows are in place in the BC. It's great to have the Louis Kamper's architectual wonder back to life.

Dalangdon
Username: Dalangdon

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a good, practical reason hotels have big neon signs on top of them - to help arriving guests find them, and to help current guests find their way back home after sightseeing. Plus, they show a brand presence.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want a big, lit sign up there just to show people who may think that it is still abandoned that it is alive again.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody pinch me! Ouch, not there! :-) The lady is going to be awesome- again.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rbdetsport im sure all the lights on inside will be a pretty good indicator that the building isnt abandoned.

Burnsie

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for a sign with the hotel's name on top-- I just don't have any regrets for the old SHERATON CADILLAC one. In a way I thought it was kind of neat because it was representative of its period, but overall it looked dated and frumpy.

The design of the hotel facade itself, though, is timeless.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What they need to do is take a few giant candles and place them on the roof. That would make it one sweet birthday cake.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.