Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizzie
Username: Lizzie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture was taken in the 1940's. Building is unknown. Looking for some help in determining what Detroit building is in the background.
Unknown Building

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we got something to work with :-)

Again, welcome Lizzie

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've thought long on this and come up short. I'm thinking the Dearborn Inn, but I'm not sanguine.

Anybody know?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the pair of Tuscan-ish columns is probably going to be the biggest clue...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that hanging porchlamp too.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 890
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that is definitely a good clue too I think once it is narrowed down to a few buildings. I guess I was just thinking that the columns might be a good first step that helps it be more visible from a recognizable distance away in terms of maybe a front porch, colonnade, or arcade. Chances are that there is an arch over the front door there...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Possibly a residence? If it were a residence it would have to be one of the few huge estates because that doorway is rather large for a house. The façade is clearly limestone so it appears it was a higher end place. The doormat looks well worn so many folks were probably coming in and out. Funeral home??

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it doesn't really look like a commercial building if that is the main entrance. The door frame looks to be made of wood, and the door height isn't very tall.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 908
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizzie, I guess you have an unsolvable one for this DetroitYES! crew...

Lizzie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so very grateful for all of your input in trying to discover the identity of this building. It is a picture of my mother (Lizzie) and her best friend. Both of them are at a loss as to where they are so they put their family on the hunt! Thank you for all your help! Her daughter, Buffy

Patrick

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You also have to look at what they are wearing. Looks like maybe they are at a wedding??

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, definately not a funeral.

Lizzie, can you give us anymore background information? What part of the city did they live? Nationality/religion/social-ec onomic background? These might be important clues.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 910
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

really think that those are wedding outfits? What era would those be wedding outfits from?

Lizzie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up on Chatham between Fenkell and McNichols. My friend and I both attended Wayne State University. We both married in Detroit and my family lived there until 1959. Don't think that they are wedding outfits as only one of us has a corsage. As near as we can figure, the picture was taken in the middle to late 40's.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could be Easter. People got more dressed up for that back then.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a mother and daughter, and my guess would be a college.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 914
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you think that it is at a college, I think that you can eliminate the University of Detroit. It doesn't look like any buildings on its campus that I have seen.

Patrick

Post Number: 4359
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marygrove?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 905
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Looks like a mother and daughter, and my guess would be a college.

Note this comment:

quote:

It is a picture of my mother (Lizzie) and her best friend

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's definately not a winter gathering! Definately sunny and warm. Easter is a good guess or maybe a graduation. Prom?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.