Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Orange metal streetscape? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leslied
Username: Leslied

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this board, I think it is amazing. I am a teacher on the Westside and I am obsessed with how Detroit once was. Once, driving to Mumford High, I passed some metal orange structures on the side of the road, near what I think was a shopping area. It seemed abandoned now. I don't remember what street I was on, just I was near Mumford. Does anyone know what these are or were?
Thanks

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are talking about the orange metal structures that had street names on them at the corner of Wyoming and Curtis then that was the cities attempt to beautify the area.

There are also orange metal structures that were put up in front of what was Sugar and Spice a day care center between Curtis and Thatcher on Wyoming,they used to have metal children that hung from them and looked like they were playing and doing pull-ups.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember these. They have been around for a while. The picture I took of the old Sidra recording studio, taken in 2002, shows them.

Sidra Recording Detroit

The Sidra Story

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Leslied. I drove through that block just this morning, and it still looks just like Lowells photo from 2002. Thanks for the linkage Lowell, it is an interesting and little known bit of our local music history.

Leslied
Username: Leslied

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You- mystery solved- I thought they were some beautification project but didn't know. I remember the metal children!

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i drove by that a few weeks ago...some of them are now painted pink and it looks really ugly.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the red monkeybar structures on Washington(?) Avenue downtown??

Ugly.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was part of the neighborhood beautification project back in the 80's. They had them in other different areas of the city, as well.

Kimistree

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the monkey bar "beautification" and the Wyoming "beautification" happened around the same time. The late 70's early 80's.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alex Pollack wuz here

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a slideshow of the above mentioned area for those who are interested:
http://s148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/?actio n=view&current=1178505054.pbw

Kimistree

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!! I visit my Mother at least once a week and I didn't notice those metal children were still there.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 371
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe that anyone thought that that was a nice look!!! Those kid sculptures are wierd...I wonder what would happen to someone on LSD if you dropped them off there?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 977
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flint had similar orange stuff put on the sidewalks of N. Saginaw St. It was part of the "New Flint North" image upgrading project. Now the stuff is faded and bent. It always looked ugly and is even worse now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.