Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » GAS prices jump at the pump « Previous Next »
GAS prices jump at the pump -1 Urbanize99 05-05-07  9:01 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sort of an addendum to what I said a few days back:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/0 4/news/economy/gas_demand/inde x.htm?postversion=2007050417

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just always surprised that many people (like Ms. Cleo) are hell-bent on having the sort of vehicle that they want and they think it affects only their own budget and life. Why can't they realize that, climate change aside, their SUV's use up so much gas that the supply that we must all use is diminished and so everyone pays more. They are the people sucking up the supply because, for some reason, they think they deserve a bigger share of a finite resource than I deserve. Supply and demand - some are using more than their share of the supply. We should do more with the shame factor when dealing with/speaking to such selfish people who see themselves as the most important people in the world.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People can suck up supply without driving an SUV.

I bet Fury uses more gas in one year with his Prius than I use in one year with my SUV.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Individual drivers apart, SUV's use more gas than small cars. Why do you attempt to rationalize your selfish choice that negatively impacts the rest of your fellow citizens? Do you want to hide?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's not overlook the fact that some folks actually need more "cabin space" than others, for family, or livelihood, reasons. I'm not one of them, but I'm just sayin'.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fine...I'm selfish, and happy to be that way. If I had to give up my four kids, and enjoying our camping trips together...I wouldn't want to be unselfish. Sorry for "negatively impacting" the rest of my fellow citizens.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 954
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come whenever we discuss SUVs, everyone suddenly has 4 kids? I'm not saying you don't, but it's interesting that it's always 4.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, because including the driver, an average size SUV would have it's seats all filled up with 4 kids added. That's not including the badass toddler that needs a seat either (lol).

(Message edited by Urbanize on May 07, 2007)

Dnvn522

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I bought the SUV when I had 3 kids. It only took me about a month to realize that 3 kids under the age of 5 sitting THAT close together (across the back seat of my car) was NOT going to work. Three rows of seating saved my relationship with the kids! LOL!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone out there help me/ does anyone not believe we can make or engineer more fuel efficient SUVS...if we had a contest or a federally funded initiative to come up with a new carburetor or fuel system that could increase these larger vehicles gas production we could have solved it long ago,,,

There were carborators in the sixties that increased fuel production that were bought by oil companies and placed on the shelves....maybe part urban myth mabe reality...but think about our technology...I bet if we had to we could.

Dnvn522

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering the number of years the automobile has been around...you would think that 100 mpg from a car or 50 mpg from an SUV would not be unrealistic.

(Message edited by dnvn522 on May 07, 2007)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could get a 100 mile car if you wanted to ride around in a single seat tin foil car with no air, no power steering, no radio, bicycle tires, no suspension... Unfortunately gas mileage is very tied to physics.

All those creature comforts and safety systems add weight and cost fuel mileage.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There were carborators in the sixties that increased fuel production that were bought by oil companies and placed on the shelves....maybe part urban myth mabe reality...but think about our technology...I bet if we had to we could.

Totally urban myth. You'd think people in the Detroit area would know better than to treat his long-lived conspiracy with anything other than hysterical laughter.

Engineering a vehicle involves managing a large number of trade-offs. Increases in MPG may be accompanied by increased cost or decreased safety. Changes in technology may hurt reliability. Smaller engines or fewer features may turn off customers. There are some very smart engineers working on managing these trade-offs while still coming up with a product that consumers will want to buy, at a competitive price that also makes money for the company.

It's really naive to think that the auto companies are keeping high-MPG technology hidden away, or that they simply have decided not to make super-high MPG vehicles for some dumb reason. Talk to your engineer or product planning neighbors, they'll set you straight.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies,

So true, every time I hear a story about a guy somewhere that invented a special carburetor that allows triple digit fuel mileage, Ford bought it and shelved it blah blah, I laugh.

The truth is there are only so many BTU's in a gallon of gasoline. Only so much heat or energy that can be produced. This notion that engine designers and engineers are holding back because they'd like us to use more fuel is simply not so. The automakers, and especially right now, would love to throw a few units on the showrooms with 50+ MPG city etc.

They are getting and even stretching how much they can get out of a gallon of gasoline. The EPA has been riding them for years to do so. They aren't hiding anything.

With the situation in the world and how stagnant development has been in this area, it's definitely time to explore other avenues of fuel types and sources.

People tout one car over another based on fuel mileage alone. There's no free lunch. The lesser car, the better the mileage. No smoke, no mirrors, no top-secret carburetion. You get what you pay for.

There are vehicles available around the world that get astonishing mileage, but they'd never be imported here due to safety concerns. It's a safe bet, some that are being imported are just grazing under the wire as it is. But then motorcycles are legal, crazy laws.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some things to think about, all from a new book titled "Oil On The Brain: Adventures From The Pump To The Pipeline" by Lisa Margonelli (Nan Talese/ Doubleday, 2007):

-the "hidden penny,", the 9/10 part of the gas price, brings in $1.3 billion/yr.

-Between 2003 and 2005, gas prices increased by 77 cents/gal. Several Harris polls asked people to estimate how much more per month they were paying for gas over previous years. Their estimates calculated to over $3/gal. They overestimated gas price increases by a factor of four (4).

-the ave. American household spends 3 or 4 % of of their income on gas. 8.2 cents/mile on gas. They spend 60 cents/mi. on maintenance, insurance, depreciation anf finance charges.

-in 2004, only 4 percent of car buyers (90,000 polled by Maritz) said fuel economy was their most important criterion when buying a car. Number of cup holders were a higher priority than fuel economy.

-Another study found that if gas prices stayed at $4/gal for an entire year, gas consumption would fall only 5 percent.

-as gas prices continuously increased from 2000 to 2006, national consumption continued to rise as well.

-in 2004, state governments collected $35 billion in gas taxes (not incl. sales tax), a large percentage of which was diverted from road improvements etc. "Taxing gasoline gives the state a perverse interest in citizens using more gas." (Surprise, surprise.)

-a survey in Las Vegas last year showed that people would not decrease their visits there (by car) until gas prices exceeded $10/gal.

-a large percentage of persons owning and driving expensive gas guzzlers have no interest whatsoever in driving smaller more fuel efficient vehicles because the cost savings are irrelevant when they considered that by driving the larger cars their prestige was enhanced and therefore it helped them in their businesses (salesmen and business owners I presume.)

A lot of people on here bitch about so-called obscene profits made by oil companies. Consider this. (from last weeks Oil and Gas Journal, a leading trade publication.) OPEC (which produces a little over 40 percent of world oil production) last week indicated that in order to increase crude production to keep up w/ expected world demand, they will have to spend, and are in fact spending, $20.2 TRILLION in the next 25 years. There are currently ongoing so far this year in OPEC countries over 125 exploration and development projects with capital costs exceeding $130 billion, half of which are funded by those oil companies we love to hate. That's just the OPEC countries and does not include infrastructure costs, pipelines, expansion of export facilities etc. A small percentage of those obscene profits go to the shareholders; they go right back into the ground. And, "thank goodness for that" everyone except bike riders should say.

I think the fact is, when it comes to gas prices, "who cares?" (I know a few on this forum seem to, but y'all as a group are a very small minority.)

Oh, one more thing. "Alternative fuels" is going to be one of the biggest jokes around. Ethanol? Buy any cereal lately? Electric cars? Where do people think the electricity comes from? FOSSIL FUELS.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my beloved future homeland Canada gas is well over $5 per gallon. Instead of a no gas day we should start car pooling; biking; taking the bus.

How bout a gas and go day when everyone fills up and splits without paying!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 539
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you fine people who say that gas is much higher in Europe...duh! Everything is much higher in Europe. Been there...done that!

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that the gas prices are going up and down like a yo-yo. On Wednesdays and Thursdays the price appears to be at its lowest for that week, and then it skyrockets on Fridays. Gas near me was $3.28 on Tuesday 5/15/07. It went down to $3.23 on Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday afternoon 5/18/07 it had jumped to $3.44. Now, this Wednesday it's $3.39. By Friday I have a feeling it's going to be $3.49 or greater.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 981
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$3.89 here in Chicago today.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 522
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will I get investigated by the "gubernment" if I recommend bombing a couple of gas stations in protest???

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read that Conyers, as head of the House Judiciary Committee, sponsored a bill which would "permit" the Government to sue OPEC on conspiracy and anti-trust grounds. It passed by 345 to 47 (or something like that.)

What an idiot (as are those who voted for it.) The guy never ceases to amaze me with his schemes to convince his dumber-than-he-is constituents that he's doing something useful in Washington.

He ought to spend his time trying to come up w/ a rational fact-based energy policy for the country. We sure don't have one now.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/U PDATE/705240461

Michigan gas prices second in the nation

Santiago Esparza / The Detroit News

Gasoline prices in Michigan jumped to $3.50 for a gallon of regular unleaded gas overnight, according to the AAA auto club of Michigan Daily Fuel Gauge Report. Yesterday the average price was $3.47 per gallon.

Michigan gas prices now are second only to Illinois, which averages $3.51 per gallon of gas, according to the report.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 601
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I laugh at this.......prices jumped over night huh? its BEEN 3.59 for over a week now. I would love to pay 3.47

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$3.58, $3.59 a gallon all around Indianapolis.

Indy hit $3.58 just a few days ago, I want to say this past Tuesday.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, now we're at the point where Congress is threatening to chase after "price gougers". As long as people are willing to fill up their SUV to drive 30 miles each way to work--where's the price gouging?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The latest lie:

Big oil is purposely NOT spending any money on existing or future oil refining capacity. Reason: because the public demands bio fuel sources. They claim they are spending all R&D on ethanol suddenly, so THATS why gas is $3.60 (in certain select places). Its also why milk and all food produced by corn consuming animals, as well as, all food containing corn products are suddenly shooting up in price. (high fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING)

Still seeing record profits for oil concerns.

Two words for this systematic behavior: ROLLING BLACKOUTS

Remember Enron, and how they pretended to have restricted energy availability in certain areas, or purposefully rerouted energy in a way that would cost much more than its market value ? This is exactly what the oil people are doing with fuel. Have you seen a single fuel station actually run out of fuel during all this ? Hell no - plenty of gas to sell. Gas lines ? Rationing ? No and no. Thats because there is no shortage.

Just good ol fashioned price fixing.

Car companies, politicians, consumers; powerless to stop them. Pun intended.

Solution: remove oil companies from all future fuel development. Is this who we want in charge of diversifying our fuel ? ?

No. It is not.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 832
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I laugh at this.......prices jumped over night huh? its BEEN 3.59 for over a week now. I would love to pay 3.47"

Move somewhere with more than one gas station?

Danindc

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Mauser, you have a choice. Don't buy the stuff.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I paid 3.35 yesterday. My husband spent 38.00 on gas and I spent 43.00. The 43.00 did not fill up my van.....

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paid $3.39 yesterday; I filled my tank (10.6 gallons) for $36.00. That'll get me through the next two weeks. Not too bad.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife is from Sweden. We recently did the conversion from liters to gallons and crowns to dollars to see what they are paying.

They are paying $6.79 a gallon there! So she laughed about our sweating over a measely $3.50 in comparision.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paid $3.59 yesterday and that was the best I could find during my trip. Cost me $46 to fill my tank. Luckily my lifestyle doesn't demand that I drive much, maybe two or three times a week, but that still hurt. So much so that my bike and the buses are going to get a lot more use this summer. No more needless short trips in the car.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$6.79 a gallon in Sweden?

Well, they do have better looking women there. So thats worth something.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...my bike and the buses are going to get a lot more use this summer. No more needless short trips in the car."

That's really the key. As Americans, we need to adopt mass behavioral changes if we are to cope with inevitably higher fuel prices. No more Sunday afternoon excursions, no more Saturday night "cruisin'." It's transportation, not recreation.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 602
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have plenty of gas stations here in town, they all are charging 3.59.........and people arent WILLING to pay to fill up their cars, they HAVE too, while things like food, medicine etc, get cut from the budget

Danindc

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No, they don't HAVE to. You could choose to live differently, but you don't.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 983
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you forsake food in the name of gasoline, you're a fucking idiot. Get a bike. I don't care if it's 20 miles, you have to eat!

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not spending money on refinery capacity? Marathon announced 2 or 3 weeks ago it has commenced spending $3.2 BILLION to expand its LA refinery for the purpose of increasing diesel fuel production capacity. Marathon believes that by 2020, diesel will outsell gasoline.

Refiners spend billions a year in refinery upkeep, a large percentage of which is devoted to environmental compliance. Must protect those spotted owls.

Starbuck's coffee and bottled water cost several times more per gallon than gas. Cut those out and you'll cover the increased gas prices. Kwitchyerbellyachin.

Danindc

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem isn't so much refinery capacity, as it is the availability of oil to refine. You can build all the capacity you want, but since there is a limited, and finite, supply of crude, you're not going to be able to do a whole lot about that.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 833
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Starbuck's coffee and bottled water cost several times more per gallon than gas. Cut those out and you'll cover the increased gas prices."

Why do people continuously used this extremely flawed analogy? Nobody's car drinks Starbucks in order to get to work.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont drink coffe or buy bottled water..nice to call names also, tell me, how do I live differently oh wise one? Since you have all the answers, just what do I do?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 985
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm assuming you're talking to me. And if you are someone forgoing food to buy gasoline, I stand by calling you an idiot. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you're not, then I'm not really talking about you. As far as suggestions, like I said, I suggest those people buy a bike and ride to the grocery store. Get your priorities in order.

(Message edited by focusonthed on May 24, 2007)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 607
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am forgoing FUn food, ya know chips etc, stuff ya dont need, but would like duh!

How, pray tell, do I carry groceries for 4, 2 weeks worth, on a bike? how?

Danindc

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Tie a cart to your bike. Use a wagon. Get your kids involved and walk.

It's not about saving money to buy more gas--it's about using less gas, period. Start reading Kunstler's blog:

www.kunstler.com

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think folks here have twisted this into a 'he says' 'she says' sort of debate when both are speaking hypothetically.

You don't carry two weeks worth of groceries on a bike, you'd have to make more than one trip every two weeks. If your choice was between eating or riding a bike; you'd ride the bike.

Heck most folks go to the store more than once every two weeks (I know I only go when I can walk it or chain it with another trip). That way, the gas used to get to the grocery is minimal.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc, I really just have to sit back and laugh at you, you are totally clueless. lol

and just to throw you another bone (so I can laugh at your answer) How do I get the groceries in the winter? How do I take a sick kid to the doctor? on the bike or the dog sled? LOL!

Danindc

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I'm clueless, but I'm not skimping on quality of life just to feed more money to the oil companies.

Or perhaps I just don't have the sense of entitlement that you do?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: You are clueless. Wrong again, as usual. There is no shortage of crude oil. The NYMEX price has been dropping slowly for weeks even as gas prices are rising. (I'll be broke before you know it.)

Example: BP just shut down 100,000 bbls per day of North Slope production because of pipeline problems. In a tight market, that would cause a nice up-bump, but when it was announced a couple of days ago crude prices dropped.

We're drowning in the stuff, so consider this an appeal to Hugo C. to cut production again.

Iheartdetroit: But, people do.

Miss Cleo: Answer to your question - read the last word of my previous post. (Actually, I sympathize with those who are adversly impacted by gas prices. However, one should blame Bush and Congress ((and the presidents and congresses before them)) for failing to adopt a rational energy policy.

Their solution to the problem is to throw more money - farm subsidies - to farmers to increase the production of ethanol. Remember, ethanol is a major cost of gasoline and the price of ethanol is skyrocketing, so blame whoever's responsible for this whole ethanol debacle.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Iheartdetroit: But, people do.

Not nearly enough to make the comparison relevant.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just do the following already:

- Walk when you can
- Take transit when you can
- Urge your leadership to bring back the 55 mph speed limit (yes this will save huge amounts of fuel)
- Support alternative/renewable energy resources
- Don't drive a vehicle that is too big for your needs.

I have to agree with Dingell when it comes to CAFE. CAFE by itself is meaningless. Those who want to drive giant vehicles will still have access to them, and these will be balanced off with crappy high milage cars that are imported into the US from somewhere else. This would lead to less jobs and cars people don't want (picture the Ford Aspire). It is better to reward good behaviours.

Danindc

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Danindc: You are clueless. Wrong again, as usual. There is no shortage of crude oil. The NYMEX price has been dropping slowly for weeks even as gas prices are rising. (I'll be broke before you know it.)

Oil prices are based on future supply versus demand--not the amount in the ground. Gasoline is based on current supply of gasoline. They are two different commodities. The price of gas is going up because (drum roll) the demand is increasing while supply is decreasing. Econ 101.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were the world renowned geologist 3rdworldcity. Perhaps you should tell the oil companies they're wrong. They're certainly not investing in new energy technologies because they expect the oil to continue flowing!

Focusonthed

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do I get groceries in the winter? Oh shit, I just put on my jacket and gloves and walk down the street. Imagine that. How would you get groceries in the winter? Well, considering your living situation, you'd probably still drive. That's fine, you don't need to stop driving entirely. I still drive. Hell, I'm 24 and single, no kids, and I myself have 2 vehicles, and I don't drive either of them to work. You just cut down your driving. I drive MAYBE 200 miles a month, assuming I don't travel.

Your options may be inconvenient (wtf no heated seats??), but you have them.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Starbuck's coffee and bottled water cost several times more per gallon than gas."

Fortunately I do not do laundry with bottled water, nor do I run my car on Starbuck coffee.

Thats like "oh yeah, gold costs more than tin". No kidding.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: WOW. Where do you come up w/ the stuff you post? Yeah, the NYMEX is a futures market --a 30 day front month, usually.

I sell my crude oil several times a day, every day. My price is the day-rate (posted-price) which is not the NYMEX price. I've produced over 2,000,000 bbls of crude over the past 17 years.

There is NO current nor anticipated future shortage of crude oil (say, w/i 2 years.)
______________________________ ___________________

And, I do realize that the Starbuck's/bottled water is a strtetch and not really a valid anology. My point is that purasing gas is to a great extent a lifestyle choice.

And I do employ a geologist who has worked for me for 17 years. He's one of the top geologists in N. TX. I read several trade papers every week, all EIA reports (2 or 3 a week) and make it my business to know what I'm talking about when it comes to oil. (You don't.) I don't do this for my health you know.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should spoil our natural world in order to extract every last drop of oil in it. Then we should burn that oil and, when we've done that, we should figure out an alternative.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan has the second second-most expensive gas in the US, first is Illinois. Why us?! >.<

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is credit card debt. (and eventually bankruptcy)getting worse with this?
Do you all think that the oil companies ARE going to make a certain amount of profit no matter what? So if we drive more efficient cars, they're going to keep uping the price of gas to maintain their profits.
Maybe if we all drive cars that get 10 mpg, gas will be $1.00 a gallon. LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.