Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Famous kronk gym « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the current condition is of the world famous kronk gym on Mcgraw?

Michigan

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is home to what is possibly the most famous boxing gym in the world, as well as perhaps the greatest trainer in the world. Kronk has produced 27 world champions, emmanuel stewart is famous beyond boxing. But no one in Detroit knows about this place.
I know Emmanuel was talking about closing the gym in 2006, I was hoping the city, or some rich wolverine would help him keep it open. It is a real asset to the neighborhood.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if the neighborhood would stop stealing the plumbing the neighborhood could have something nice.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have fights broadcast on Comcast Local every once in a while with Kronk boxers.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.kronkgym.com/

Michigan

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about the plumbing.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kronk Gym was named for Detroit Councilman John Kronk, one of the original nine, when the Detroit power structure changed the rules in 1918 preventing minority representation with the old ward system that many today believe more viable.

Anyone for returning to the ward system???????

Kronk (Krak) was of Polish extraction and conservative so that he was "safe" to be elected by Detroit's monied group. Although there were more Polish Americans than Germans by 1922 in Detroit, few Polish Americans could get elected city-wide. The UAW endorsement was almost a kiss of death so that any moderate or liberal Pol Am could never get elected. Only Leo Nowicki [elected Lt. Gov in 1936 with Frank Murphy], quickly DSR Commissioner, and Anthony Wierzbycki, Detroit finance, solid conservatives made it for a short period. Both were solidly endorsed by the arch-conservative Detroit News.

A Kronk nephew, I believe, was a State Representative.

Michigan

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the history Concon. I had no idea who Kronk was. Ironic that his name is now attached to a place that has helped move a lot of minority kids out of poverty and trouble. Now if we could do something about that plumbing!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.