Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit 3rd filthiest city in the us!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://information.travel.aol. com/galleries/americas-dirty-c ities?ncid=AOLTRV0001000000028 7

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of crap. Compared to what Detroit used to be, its air and water are pretty dammed clean. I've seen worse conditions in Chicago/Gary and Toronto's golden horseshoe, yet they don't make the list.

I don't see any methodology. If they mentioned dirty alleys I'd agree though; but they don't.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 803
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article is headlined "Dirtiest Cities Just Get Dirtier", yet it provides no evidence for that statement. Perhaps the basis for that headline is the article's statement that

"Some hope that the EPA's new, stricter emissions standards--put in place in December 2006 as outlined in the Clean Air Interstate Rule--will make a difference, at least in the U.S."

In other words, they are "getting dirtier" because the US EPA tightened the measurement standards used to set pollution thresholds.

This article is a poorly written piece of sensationalism that lacks any context to put the problem in perspective. Furthermore, it totally ignores the past and ongoing efforts that continue to improve the air we breathe and the water we drink. Anyone who has lived in Detroit or Pittsburgh since the 1960's as a teenager or adult knows that the air and water is much cleaner now than it was back then.

The attention needs to be focused on cleaning up the environmental disasters in other countries and improving their air and water. Just like the USA, it will happen quicker if they live in a democratic society that has the political and economic freedoms necessary for creating the demand for change and spending the large sums of money that will be needed to clean up their emissions and discharges.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The air is cleaner (no jobs producing emissions) and the streets are dirtier.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Water pollution? I've always thought of Detroit water to be of the purest...drinking water anyway. Maybe if the article is considering the Rouge specifically...but even that has major clean up efforts making the water quality better.

I think Detroit is pretty typical of an industrial metropolis, not super clean, but not choking in its own toxic farts either. My one complaint is of the garbage everywhere. Supposedly, Philly is wose than Detroit in the amount of trash everywhere, but just take a walk around from MLK at Woodward - west to Cass/Second/Third and all blocks south of there. Just steps from some of the greatest renovations, new constructions is a wasteland of trash!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...and the streets are dirtier.

We do not need Federal standards or taxes spent to clean up local streets and lots. Dirty streets and lots do not affect "downstream" communities. Dirty streets and lots have a greater negative impact on the local quality of life than they do on the public health.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket, I can't speak for Detroit, but if you want to see trash in Philly, take the SEPTA train from the airport to 30th Street Station. The amount of trash along the tracks would amaze you.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5285
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philly cheesesteak wrappers alone account for most of it. jjaba asks for more trash cans, regularly emptied.

jjaba.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5437
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two exclamation marks in the title (or even one, at all) shows us how simply elated the poster of this "news" was about this "information".

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket, I can't speak for Detroit, but if you want to see trash in Philly, take the SEPTA train from the airport to 30th Street Station. The amount of trash along the tracks would amaze you.

Or go near Temple. Like Detroit, Philly has its areas that are cleaned reguarly and those that are not.

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not elated by the news one bt why would i be elated this is were i llive i was born and im going to die now thats a dumb statement lmichigan, I was very pissed when i seen it. tottaly opposite. next time ill keep the exclamation points out for you, sorry they bothered you

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the regional beach closings due to contamination were considered, otherwise I don't recall any particular water problems, other than the occasional water main break and a mysterious slick or two from illegal dumping.

(Message edited by lilpup on April 29, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe this has to do with the people that don't give a rats ass and just throw shit everywhere. I just watched some asshole toss a bunch of glass bottles in the air. Listening to rowdy pieces of shit piss all over the city

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know about this emissions thing. And everyone know we can at least brag on our water. But its the combination of litter, urban prairies, and abandoned homes and businesses that make Detroit one of the worst looking cities in America.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 965
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone should tell Chrysler to clean up their plant on Jefferson. The place is starting to look like a wreck with all of the trash on the fence. (Although I doubt that would do much for ratings with this system.)

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I notice in other states is the huge number of bottles and cans strewn everywhere. The deposit helps out a lot, and I think we can make things even cleaner by putting a 25 cent deposit on all liquor bottles 1/2 pint and up. That would take care of a lot of the broken glass.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or get rid of the glass altogether - plastic, and unbroken glass, deposit bottles get picked up after they're tossed aside

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 564
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ew, I like my beer out of a glass bottle, cans and plastic are just wrong for beer.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look at the other cities on the list! only one other in the top 4 is in the rustbelt!

LA (#1) is over in the land of Arnold and his "great environmental stance" and Atlanta is one of the most high-tech cities in the country.

I dont put much into this artical.

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit as well as several other U.S.cites have been cited by the EPA for non-attainment of clean air standards. With lots of work some of these cities have, or were about to make the standard. So what do you do if your job depends on cites not attaining the standard? Why you just arbitrarily raise the standard so they still don't comply. Unfortunately the EPA has the power to change these air standards on a whim, without any oversight or permission from anyone. EPA has demonstrated their benevolent dictatorship policy doesn't work. An oversight body of some sort is needed. The patients are running the asylum at our expense, and at the loss of our jobs.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how old is that picture of pittsburg.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.