Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Festival of Speed & Style, August 24 -26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 798
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone heard of this? If so, what is it?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it. I am always looking for new things to do.

Marvin_t
Username: Marvin_t

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2007 Detroit Festival of Speed and Style

"Last year (2003) in just its inaugural season, the Concours d’Elegance at Cranbrook established itself as a major player on the Concours circuit, something rare for a first-time event, and in 2004 the newest Concours cemented its image with an even better setting…, and the magic of a formal exhibition of exquisite V-16 Motorcars”. - Cars & Parts Magazine (November 2004).
“Although the sound system played Strauss waltzes while dignitaries braved the heat in blue blazers and silk dresses, the third annual Concours d'Elegance car show Sunday in Bloomfield Hills lived up to its billing as a tradition breaker in the staid world of auto collecting.

Once morning rainstorms were gone, the sun brought out crowds to do what they always do at auto shows: ogle acres of cars, including one considered the most valuable car in existence. The 1907 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost AX-201, owned by Bentley Motors Ltd. of England, was the silver-plated prototype for a generation of cars driven by royalty.

But out of the ordinary for such shows was the new Junior Concours event, in which middle-school youngsters from Detroit and Oakland County vied for trophies”. – Bill Laitner - Detroit Free Press (July 25, 2005)
“In the very brief period that the Concours d'Elegance at Cranbrook has been in existence, it has already established an outstanding tradition of excellence.

Despite heavy overcast, threats of storm and real-live thunderstorms and cloudbursts, the show went on marked by a dazzling collection of classic cars, most notably of European classics”. - Richard A. Wright - The Detroit News (August 1, 2005)

Every now and then a story will hit the newswires, recapping a small event because of it having some sort of unique nature or special flair unseen in similar events. The clip then picks up steam, getting its 15-minutes of fame with media impressions all around the Web, TV, radio and print.
Since 2003, Midwest International Concours d'Elegance, Inc. (a 501 (c)(3) not for profit corp.) has produced one of the leading must-attend classic car events in the nation where car enthusiasts, spectators and sponsors come to enjoy themselves, and view and enjoy pristine examples of some of the most significant classic and vintage automobiles and motorcycles in the world. In 2005, vehicles from 22 states and eight foreign countries exhibited at the Concours that was held on July 24, 2005 on the grounds of the Cranbrook Educational Community in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. The event has attracted an enormous amount of positive attention and reviews from the local, national and international media corps.
We can positively say that we became the only Concours event in the world whose mission is to promote diversity and inclusion, attracting for the first time ever multi-cultural exhibitors and attendees to a Concours event. We have also created a forum to reach to the younger generation, exposing and involving them to the wonderful world of the automobile enthusiast through our Junior Concours model building competition. It is our hope that the Junior Concours will cultivate a passion for design in the fertile minds and imaginations of the students and inspire them to emulate the achievements of the designers and engineers of the past.

None of this has been an easy task; these events have traditionally been dominated by an older and narrow audience and exhibitors. But when you look at the positive press that we received about our mission of opening the doors to a younger and more diverse and inclusive audience and exhibitor base, you will see that although we still have a long way to go—we have started moving the needle in the right direction and have maintained the high excellence and standards of a true Concours event!
In planning for the 2007 event we asked ourselves; how do we expand even further on a great event? The answer came in the form of the City of Detroit – the automotive capital of the world. Detroit hosted the world’s largest spectator and televised event of 2006, The Super Bowl! What better place to hold a world-class classic automobile show than in the heart of the automotive industry – Detroit, Michigan!
And what better venue to host the event than the new jewel of the Motor City, Campus Martius Park, located at the heart of downtown, directly in front of the new Compuware Headquarters, Campus Martius Park is strategically poised to be a significant and contributing factor to the rebirth of downtown Detroit. Campus Martius Park's unique and central location on Detroit's main street - Woodward Avenue - provides the critical foundation from which real revitalization can take hold, connect, and spread to other downtown activity centers!
Midwest International Concours d’Elegance, Inc. along with our host for the 2007 Detroit Festival of Speed and Style, the Detroit 300 Conservancy which is responsible for management, maintenance and operation of Campus Martius Park under a long term operating agreement with the City of Detroit, are working together to bring to Detroit one of the leading classic car shows in the nation that will mirror the widely acclaimed success with the world-class Concours that we produced at Cranbrook from 2003—2005. With construction completed at Cadillac Square we are planning an incredible inaugural 2007. This event promises to be one of Detroit’s summer 2007 première outdoor events astonishing even the ardent supporters of the previous shows at Cranbrook, helping to solidify Detroit’s long held title as the automotive capital of the world.

Through the successful years experienced at Cranbrook we have the momentum, the energy and the “edge” to continue as one of the top automotive, lifestyle and charity events of its kind in the world!

We invite you to join us at the 2007 event that promises to be the must attend outdoor car enthusiasts event in Southeast Michigan for summer 2007!

For more information please contact:
The Detroit Festival of Speed and Style
21700 Northwestern Highway, Suite 645
Southfield, MI 48075
Phone: 248. 539.2150
concours.delegance@sbcglobal.n et

Marvin_t

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi this is Marvin Towns, the founder of The Concours d'Elegance at Cranbrook and now the founder of The Detroit Festival of Speed and Style.

The answer to your questions is that before we decided to move forward with this show, we polled many of the collectors of multi-million dollar cars that had supported us at Cranbrook (and everyone knows that we were supported by owners of some of the most incredible cars in the world) asking them if they would be supportive of this new concept. The answer was a resounding YES!

I'm sure that you are all aware of the fact that the Cranbrook event quickly became one of the most popular Concours events in the U.S. We feel VERY strongly that the Detroit Festival of Speed and Syle's success will eclipse the success of Cranbrook.

I'm sure that many people have an unfounded negative perception of downtown Detroit, but I assure you that Detroit is safe and that the venue will make for one of the most interesting and exciting car events that you'll ever attend. Trust me...., no one thought that we were going to be as successful as we were with Cranbrook, but you all know that was a wonderful event.

The Detroit Festival of Speed and Style will revolutionize how car events are produced.

You can email me at: marvin.mti@sbcglobal.net and I'll send you in detail plans for this event.

Sincerely,

Marvin Towns

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn this fit into our tourism ideas on another post. this will be a huge success.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 907
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just prior to the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix!

Marvin_t

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go! You get the picture!!!

Marvin

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 909
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with it. My son and I will look forward to attending as a warm up to the next weeks activities.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there by chance a web site for the event?

Marvin_t

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The web site:

www.detroitfestivalofspeedands tyle.com

should be up by this upcoming weekend.

Our other web site

www.concoursatcranbrook.com will also link you to the new site.

Thanks!

Marvin

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9355
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marvin,

Were you aware that the race teams and promoter were discussing a showcase of the race cars somewhere along Woodward Avenue a day or so before the races?!

We had a thread on it here within the last month, if I can find it, I'll link to it.

Looking forward to helping make your show a city tradition.

Cheers,
John

Marvin_t

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks John, I was not aware of that so it will be something that I definitely would like to read.

I am meeting with the Grand Prix organizers next week about cross-promotional opportunities.

BTW, they really like the idea for this show.

Marvin
248 539 2150
marvin.mti@sbcglobal.net

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9380
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, if they DIDN'T like it, we should worry!

I'm working that forum search function, it is enormously more difficult to use now that we are blessed by the gods of google!

Cheers!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.