Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ruined Hotels still profitable « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would the ruined hotels be profitable if they were fixed up and turned into little hotels or is condo conversion the way to go??

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 791
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could your question be any more vague? What hotels?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I assume he means Fort Shelby, Book Cadillac, some of the smaller ones, etc...

Right now, Detroit is going through a surge in hotel space which it may or may not be able to sustain in the near-term future...we're adding about 1,800 rooms (56% increase from now)all within a matter of a couple of years...there are some good signs like convention bookings increasing at an impressive rate, but it may turn out to be too much too fast...if that happens, it will be a while before any new hotels get built or renovated in the city....

So to answer your question, no one knows just yet, but we'll have a better idea by the end of the year when the Motorcity and MGM are finished, and we'll know for sure by the end of 2008 after the Book Cadillac and Greektown (and possibly, but not likely, the Fort Shelby) are all done...

French777

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Gotham

it is another thread

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9371
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then ask it on that thread. What the fuck is wrong with some people?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gotham is long gone.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 425
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another thread that makes me dumber for reading it. I really need to get off this site before I become mentally ill.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Older buildings built like back in the 1920s that are/were 'hotels' aren't what we think of today as mainly for out of town visitors, but more as basic apartments. Many of them are in seemingly obscure locations as well, not downtown or 'just off the freeway.' To be quite honest I can't think of many that even seem viable for being redeveloped as hotels. Maybe somewhere in Mexicantown, but what other areas are really that big of attractions for out of town visitors?

French777

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i didn't mean just that hotel but there are plenty throughout the city.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4208
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out-of-towners (the ones who usually use hotels) prefer hotels either in Downtown, Midtown, New Center, or out in the burbs. They are usually uncomfortable staying in hotels in other areas of the city.

And plus older hotels tend to have much smaller rooms. Most of those built prior to the 1920s didn't even come with a bathroom in each hotel room. Some of the smaller hotels had 1 bathroom per floor, not exactly something ANY hotel visitors today would even consider.

Times were different back then, and hotel rooms were much smaller.

Take the old Hotel Ponchartrain, located near Campus Martius (seen here in the distance in a postcard):

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgen web/mi/wayne/postcards/detroit /wwave.jpg

Although it was a beautiful palatial hotel, it soon went under the wrecking ball because half of the 800 rooms in this hotel didn't have a bathroom. So down it came in 1921, to make way for the First National Building.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4209
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you people need to have a little more patience. French777 is a not just a newbie, but a "youngin", so don't get your knickers in a twist over a simplistic question. Some folks are here to learn. Not everyone is as savvy as us oldtimers.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm, that's why many urban development related forums put an age limit on their boards. Although age limits aren't the only problem here.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why bother swearing and being rude about a thread - just stop reading it. :-)

French777

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Gistok that is just what i needed to hear about ( Hotels in Downtown,midtown,New Center.

Also New Center doesn't have many hotels

I recall the Regency being turned into mostly Condo's

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 694
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's always the Hotel Yorba on the SW side. I hear all they have is vacancy.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some of you people need to have a little more patience. French777 is a not just a newbie, but a "youngin", so don't get your knickers in a twist over a simplistic question. Some folks are here to learn. Not everyone is as savvy as us oldtimers.

I don't think anyone was too harsh with French777. I don't think it's demanding too much that someone ask better questions no matter their age or put some thought into were they post items.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Cynknight. If you dont like a post then dont participate in it. Judgment calls are for the perfect.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.