Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » WSU going to build their Eng. development center « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

groundbreaking May 2.

Lest I be wrong this building will have signficance in terms of academics, etc. but will not substantially alter the landscape of the WSU campus.

Still waiting to hear when Wayne will break ground on the Bus Ad. building.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for anyone who is interested, here are some renderings of the new projects they're planning

In addition to the new Engineering building, there's the the new Business School they're planning at the corner of Woodward and Palmer, the new law school classroom building which will replace the existing one, and the new medical school

http://waynefirst.wayne.edu/me dia_kit.php

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 855
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, why do you suppose that Wayne State wouldn't have put their new south end development on that web site?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CP:

that site exists to raise money for academic buildings...South University Village is actually being built by a private company, and its units are not reserved for students...they're available to everyone...just happens to be on the campus along Woodward...my understanding is that the school is just paying for the parking garage...

Also, I don't think donors like to give $$$ for parking garages to be named in their honor or have their name placed on the wall :D

(Message edited by thejesus on April 26, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8931
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize that WSU had so much planned. I wonder if the addition of some of these facilities will help NextEnergy and TechOne and that stuff (If I even got the names right)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1:

not only do they have it planned, but the site says they've raised $355 million of the stated $500 million they need to get all these projects built...

Also, the law school has directly received several multi-million dollar donations in the past year for the completion of the Damon J. Keith classroom building, most notably $3 million from Alfred Taubman and another $3 million from the estate of an alumni who recently passed away...though the vibe I get around school is that it won't be completed until sometime in 2009-2011...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8932
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO what is your take on WSU's recent f-up that caused them to drop to a Tier 4 law school?

If I understand it properly they mistaken reported really low post graduate employment numbers that killed them. When they tried to fix it the service that posts the rankings stated that they don't make changes. Has no real bearing and WSU said they will be back higher next year.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah a lot of people were pretty pissed about that...you have it partially right...

the employment data that was reported inaccurately was for the 2005 graduating class, which showed that those grads had a 67% employment rate 9 months after graduation, which is a huge drop from where those numbers normally are

it was a combination of poor leadership by the dean (who was just forced to resign because of this f-up), crappy oversight of the employment survey by the administration, and graduates simply not completing the survey

the school didn't try to get US News to fix the data...it's just known that it won't be altered, as the data used is what the school provides and signs off on...

they just released "unofficial" numbers showing the employment rates of the 2006 graduating class to be over 90%, which is back to normal, so it's pretty much a given the school will be back to tier 3 next year, and probably back to tier 2 (where it was just a couple years ago) within a couple years since it's objective statistics that US News uses to rank the schools are higher than most law schools in tier 3

also, the faculty just voted to reduce our incoming class size from 220 to a more traditional 185 out of concern that the current state of the MI economy doesn't demand that the school pump out an additional 35 lawyers per year like it did in the late 90s/early 00s

(Message edited by thejesus on April 26, 2007)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the WSU 2020 Master Plan

http://www.facilities.wayne.ed u/mp/2020mp.htm

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that the architecture and urban form of all of those buildings is quite nice. I really like the direction that WSU is going in from a campus design standpoint. They really get it now that they're an urban campus and that's a huge asset, not a liability. The buildings have pedestrian scaled entrances, are sidewalk accessible, correct/don't repeat some of the mistakes made at the buildings they're being attached to, etc.

Now if they could only get rid of that silly surface lot in front of the Law School we'd be set. How about the Damon Keith Garden to replace it?

Anyone know what will happen with the old Biz. School building once they move to the new digs? The current Biz. School is a Yamasaki designed building. It significantly ties in with a lot of the other campus architecture designed by Yamasaki when he was the campus architect and shows off some of Yamasaki's early ideas that later were integrated into the WTC, etc.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU Law is a solid tier 3 law school. I expect they will soon be back in the 3rd tier. The relatively weak name recognition of the WSU will forever prevent WSU Law from maintaining a second tier rank in the US News & World Report listing. None-the-less it is an important law school in Michigan. I expect U of M, MSU, and Wayne to dominate Michigan law schools for the considerable future.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2734
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich, I'm about to apply to law schools, and Wayne's drop concerns me. I'm pretty sure they were in the top 100 at one point (there is no "tier 2"). Then, for a long while, they were tier three, and I could rationalize Wayne as a fallback school. Now, tier 4, behind MSU. Unacceptable. I believe that they are still in fact much better than this, but WSU should understand that they have limited name recognition and are in Detroit, so they need to go above and beyond at all times. The added facility should be a great thing.

Wayne law is a real conundrum. Their reputation outside of Michigan seems to be nonexistant. Their reputation among major Detroit firms is solid and second to UM. These facts probably haven't changed. If they spend too much time in the fourth tier, though, things might change for the worse. I'd like an explanation on why they dropped. I'm pretty sure their average admitted student has a GPA/LSAT that's pretty solid, and, again, second only to UM in the state.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw- I am a first year law student. There is no official second tier, but among law students 50-100 is considered second tier, 1-50 being first tier. Wayne is certainly a good law school for regional practice. Rankings have little employment and economic benefit outside the very top schools. Avoid playing the rankings game unless Yale and Harvard are among your opportunities. If you are looking in Michigan, Cooley and U of D are solid 4th tiers. Wayne State is a solid 3rd tier. MSU Law will probably end up a top 100 as they continue to post higher GPA/LSAT scores, which last I checked put them ahead of WSU Law, and U of M will remain a top 10. Ave Maria is of course heading down to that swamp called Florida. Cost-wise WSU Law is a great choice. But unfortunately, few outside the region could tell you anything about Wayne State. I don't think the Detroit association has hurt the school outside the region because people don't know where it is located. If you wanted to open doors outside the state, only U of M and MSU could probably do so on name recognition alone.

(Message edited by gmich99 on April 27, 2007)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 7:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"I have to say that the architecture and urban form of all of those buildings is quite nice. I really like the direction that WSU is going in from a campus design standpoint. They really get it now that they're an urban campus and that's a huge asset, not a liability. "

Indeed this is a big story is how well Wayne is doing now and how well an anchor it has become for the area north of downtown.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"I have to say that the architecture and urban form of all of those buildings is quite nice. I really like the direction that WSU is going in from a campus design standpoint. They really get it now that they're an urban campus and that's a huge asset, not a liability. "

I'd agree. The thing I really like about the Med School building is that it moves the "front door" of the Med School from facing inwards toward campus and puts the "front door" of the Medical School on Canfield. This will become the main visitor entrance for the SOM.

Innercitydoc
Username: Innercitydoc

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you speaking of the medical education commons? Yes this will me a very nice addition to Scott Hall which has been a shithole for so many years. I believe construction will begin this fall pending the acquisition of about $8 million in funds.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, The Education Commons Building which will link Scott Hall and the Medical School Library. The Library will be extensively remodeled which is much more of a "shithole" than Scott Hall.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

General contractors on the short list for the Eng.Dev.Ctr. are Granger, Turner and Christman. It's been about a month and a half, but still no word on a decision among those three

Emu_steve

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to follow this WSU building maze.

Is Wayne now close to starting all of the buildings for eng., med., law., etc. except for the Bus. school?

As indicated in a post above, Wayne has commits for over 350M bucks so maybe time to get shovels in the ground.

(Message edited by emu_steve on April 27, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU unveils 5-year master plan

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ inthenews/wsu1607.aspx

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 294
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She should help boost the reputation of the law school. What a smart cookie!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070425/S CHOOLS/704250422/1003/METRO

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4279
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The US News ranking was off due to a reporting mistake on Wayne State's behalf. The dean responded to a letter in the US News.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.