Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » JCBeal at the Moose Lodge? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from driving downtown and noticed some people wearing JC Beal hardhats standing at the corner of Elizabeth and Cass. Maybe they were coming out of the Moose Lodge? GAR building? Anyone know what's up?

*edit: Fred Beal was among the folks in the group- it was written on his hardhat.

(Message edited by Rugbyman on April 26, 2007)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11530
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At one time the Moose Lodge was going to be the replacement for St Andrews Hall, when previous talks of it's sale took place. With talk of St Andrews being sold, who knows, perhaps a rehabbed Moose Lodge is in the works?.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we know Blair McGowan was (or is?) one of the owners of St. Andrews.

Blair also owns the Moose Lodge (per his son who posts here regularly). It is a wonderful building. It would make a great neighbor to a new arena! :-)

I think that a decision on a final location for an arena would really help things along in regards to the Moose Lodge. Banks hate uncertainty.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great for the Moose Lodge and for that part of town - add some life over there!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Moose lodge was unsalvagable, because it was falling into its basement or something.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Moose is in great structural shape.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sidewalks that are vaulted are what you are thinking of. Not a problem to fix.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11533
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought the Moose lodge was unsalvagable, because it was falling into its basement or something.

No, no, no...that was THE SKY that was falling.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGowan is working on a replacement for St. Andrews Hall, but not in Detroit.

Crofoot building renovations in downtown Pontiac near completion

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/Crofoot0015.aspx?refer rerID=fbce1ca4-4d52-4248-90c8- 1d38b1b5f8cd

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it doesn't have to be one or the other, pontiac is a different market than detroit...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just a hunch, but I wouldn't be overly shocked if the Moose Lodge gets turned into a nightclub if it is re-developed. Think about it. The City, the Fox and the State theaters are all nearby there. can that area support another medium size concert venue in such close proximity? Also, Cliff Bell's has live music in that area too. However, in that general area, there doesn't seem to be too many nightclub/lounge options. You have to go to other parts of downtown for that.

Personally, I would love to see another live music venue open up in that area. Perhaps with a concentration of live music venues in one area Detroit could start marketing its live music scene in the way that Austin does. Detroit deserves to have that. Detroit has contributed so much to all forms of American music from Motown to Techno, however, my gut says that it will end up being another too loud, too expensive, meat market.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now McCourt Music might not have to go so far to get their equipment at the Crofoot.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like the moose lodge is rather large for a music venue. I was at clutch cargos a few days ago and all everyone was talking about was the amazing new venue opening up down the road.

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably need someone who can do a nice cheap renovation

Gistok

Post Number: 4212
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The basement of the Moose Lodge has a larger footprint than the building itself. It also goes under the sidewalk.

Since we don't know how much of the Moose Lodge is an actual auditorium type room, it becomes mere speculation to say that it is too big.

After all most fraternal organizations contain many other rooms. Each of the lodges at the Masonic Temple contain a maze of ante-rooms.

As for Blair McGowan, he's had entertainment venues in both Pontiac and Detroit for many years. If he weren't interested in future entertainment ventures in Detroit, I doubt he would continue holding onto the Moose Lodge.

Toolbox

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

gistok
Since we don't know how much of the Moose Lodge is an actual auditorium type room, it becomes mere speculation to say that it is too big.

Sure we do.

The second floor auditorium takes up the second floor with the exception of rest rooms, 2 small offices and 2 stairways. There is also a very small balcony on the sides and some tiered seating with projection room at the rear of house on the third floor. The third floor has a smaller barrel vaulted auditorium that takes up the 2 window bays on the Elizabeth side and 4 window bays of the Cass side in the SE corner.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yes Toolbox, but what of the bowling balls? Where did they go?

I still owe you dinner. And at least 2 good beers, but nothing over $6 bucks a pint so no smoked sausage beer or anything like that.

Gistok

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, I was using the royal "we", as I see you were...

Thanks for the description. Sounds like a lot of performance spaces. Is it in good condition? Is there any fancy detailing (such as ornate plasterwork)?

Toolbox

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

J_stone

And yes Toolbox, but what of the bowling balls? Where did they go?

They explode when they hit the street in -40°f temps. Or do you mean the part about throwing them at the crack heads trying to break into your work vehicles?

There is some nice plasterwork on the ceiling in the main space. The first floor was converted to offices and class rooms with drop ceilings. The basement needs a full gut of what little is left.

It's been many years since I was in the building during the clean up. The ceiling in the SW corner was taking a beating from water coming in, the roof drains would freeze inside the building causing water to come in over the roof membrane.

(Message edited by toolbox on April 27, 2007)

Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My hunch is that Beal is looking at it for Illitch to see what it would cost to demo or redo it.
yeah thats it..
Illitch to buy it for the planned red wings arena
in the area, less historic crap to deal with if he owns the damn thing.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, a bear shits in the woods and everyone says he took a piss. Wake up people and use some common sense.

Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone thinks he took a piss?
what was the real outcome?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.