Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sir Graves Ghastly passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read on Keith Milford's Vintage Detroit TV and Movie Board that Lawson Deming, WJBK-TV's Sir Graves Ghastly, passed away last night.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, they obviously have already fit him for his casket....................

RIP Lawson, thanks for many chilling movie intros

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m/ :-(

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 266
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another, never to be repeated, piece of Detroit history has passed. Even as an adult in the late 60's and early 70's, Lawson's camp schtik was fun. The show was never scary, but Detroit itself became scary about that time.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many a sat..we would go to the basement and turn of the lights and watch his show...when did he stop broadcasting? Remember Bill Kennedy at the movies?//these were icons as well as milky the clown...

RIP (that almost seems redundant) thanks for the laughs...

Jimaz

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The saddest thing is that there's been no one available to pick up the batton for far too long.

There the batton will sit on the ground, forever motionless.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves was always fun and entertaining, never scary. Until one night when he showed, "Premature Burial", and that scared the S#*@ out of us. Thank you Lawson Deming!!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Sir Graves, you were my favorite weekend TV ghoul as a little kid.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent many moments peering over my hands or a blanket while watching what seemed like the scariest movies EVER as a child! Sir Graves Ghastly...you are one of my earliest and fondest television memories! RIP...you will be missed!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww, time marches on. SGG was such a television staple of any Detroit area child during his run.

Campy and great! RIP, you rocked!

I just read the linked site and there was a picture of an album that I bought when I was a kid! Chilling, Thrilling sounds of the Haunted House! I've never remembered how I got that album, (maybe one of those little magazines that you got at grade school and ordered books and records and stuff?), but I still have it and play it while giving out candy on Halloween; the absolute BEST sound effects - really creepy! When the cat howls and screams come on, my cat freaks out, so I always pick up the stylus and go to the next cut.

Great website!

(Message edited by kathinozarks on April 25, 2007)

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Graves, yeah baby I have many memories of you...
and those funky flicks you'd host...

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd spend the night at my buddy's house next door on Gartner in SW and watch Sir Graves. We'd literally scare the shit out of his little brother until their dad would come down to the basement and scare the shit out of US!! Those old movies left EVERYTHING up to your imagination unlike the gore now. RIP!!!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves Ghastly

Jimaz

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lawson J. Deming

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has this information appeared anywhere public yet other than on blogs? I would think someone at the TV stations or newspapers would have it. I could be wrong, of course.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves Ghastly, Man of the Year

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Sir Graves! :-(

Thanks for putting my drawing in the Art Ghoullery! :-)

Ookpik

Jimaz

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Has this information appeared anywhere public yet other than on blogs?

If it hasn't, and he hasn't, he certainly deserves to see how he will have been respected after the fact. I so much loved that guy. [Sniff]

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RIP Sir Graves...

Yet another childhood icon is gone...

______________________________ ___________________

Another, never to be repeated, piece of Detroit history has passed.

Aman.

Thoughts and prayers to his family. I see him in heaven giving a performance to all those who loved his shtick as a glimps from past innocents.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Ed_golick for bringing this to our attention and thanks to Keith Milford for keeping the flame alive for so many years.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3406
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sad, what an original part of Detroit history...I had not thought about that show in decades, and yet, it was one of so many things that made growing up in Detroit so amazing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4195
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like all 60's local icons we have left are Sonny Eliot, Soupy Sales and to a lesser degree (for those who watched her 15 minute show in the late afternoons) Carol Duvall.

Sonny still does his shtick on WWJ in the afternoons, Soupy is retired (?) in NYC, and Carol Duvall (after decades of not seeing her) does her HGTV craft shows from Leelanau (her home) or Traverse City.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad that another legend has departed. What an entertaining site has been left in his memory: http://www.sirgravesghastly.co m Thanks Jimaz.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5059
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count Scary couldn't carry this guy's jock. Sir Graves was truly a Detroit TV icon for me growing up. He will be missed.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Remember when he would that "I Want To Bite Your Hand" song ?

Didn't he and the Ghoul do a one-time show together on a Saturday night ?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The REAL sad thing is that, not only has this icon passed, but this type of television has passed. There are no movie hosts anymore. And some of the "dinner and a movie" fare on the cable networks just insult one's intelligence. Too bad most local channels today have long bailed on the "Bill Kennedy"-type movie shows. Sad.

Sir was pure shtick, but imagine a cable network (like an AMC) that would have hosts that would work shifts, like the old MTV VJ's used to do. Cool, different, and the corporate blowhards would never have it.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5061
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory- I think you nailed it. I remember the production values on this gimmick being dirt poor and yet he was out there every week trying to generate some interest for the flicks that they showed.

Any quirky knowledge that you could learn about a movie won't be served up by a knowlegable host anymore. Much like Detroit radio- there aren't any more true personalilities to follow as authorities any more.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i still got chills when i opened up the website...wow!

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodbye Sir Graves, I enjoyed many Saturday afternoons watching you.
NYAH AH AH AH AH!!!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox 2 did a short story on Deming this morning.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed Sir Graves as a kid. I think I was more scared by his makeup job than his movies.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I was more scared by his makeup job than his movies.

Heh. I thought his nose was fake but looking at the pics above, I guess it wasn't.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great site by Keith Milford.

I wonder where he will be buried. i'd love to visit his grave at some point.

/morbid

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many a Saturday was spent watching Sir Graves, He came on at like 2pm? If his movie was lame that week, you could flip over to the Channel 50 creature feature that started at 3 pm. Anyone remember who did the Creature feature them song? Mom was strict and would not let me stay up late on the weekends, so it was a real treat to stay over at my friends house and watch Svenghali.

Why are there no shows like this now? I could use a few more Sir Graves's and a few less "pimp my rides".

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy was so bad... he was good. I sort of miss
the corny, local tv hosts we had back in the day.
Everything is so homogenized these days.
I don't recognize most of the "local" news people anymore.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy scared the pants off me as a kid. Very creepy.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been watching old horror movies lately. 75th anniversary editions "Dracula", "Frankenstein" ... Bela Lugosi's "The Black Cat" up next. A lot of these old thrillers were barely over an hour long. Looking back I remember all the commercials, but I hung in there with Sir Graves. He really favored the BEST horror classics from the 1930s.

I remember "Creature Feature" coming later on channel 50 or 56? I think they ran more British horror? Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee's claim to fame before "Star Wars."

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 821
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably should throw this in (for historical purposes only).....

www.morgus.com

Should be DrMorgus, shouldn't it?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 888
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves Ghastly's My Space

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 329
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They say these things happen in threes:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBI Z/Music/04/26/obit.pickett.ap/ index.html

Who'll be next? Elvira, Mistress of the Dark?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved his show. The Blob was classic corny TV. Whenever I watch the Vampire flick Fright Night I think of him-
HAPPYYYYY HAUNTINGGGGG
SIR GRAVES

" To die to be truly dead,that must be glorious!"
Count Dracula "AKA" Bela Lugosi 1933

Ed_golick

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk2mch,
That's just a fan site, with someone pretending to be Sir Graves.

Vic,
What a bizarre coincidence!

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070426/ENT 03/70426045

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 889
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thnk2mch,
That's just a fan site, with someone pretending to be Sir Graves.

I figured as much, but it's still pretty cool.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. It's a cool site, but I don't understand why people get their jollies pretending to be someone else on the internet. It also appears that whoever put up the site stole a great deal from Keith Milford's Sir Graves site.

(Message edited by Ed Golick on April 26, 2007)

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if WJBK still has his coffin,"BINKY/NIGHTY NIGHT "or any of the other show props?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 615
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJBK doesn't have anything from the show, not even video footage. The original gate with the SG monogram that opened every show is in the posession of a local musician.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 496
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss ya Sir Graves, watched you all the time as we dimmed the lights, pulled down the shade and closed the drapes on a Saturday afternoon...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember who did the Creature feature theme song?

The middle theremin section of Zep's, "Whole Lotta Love" was used for years.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone's interested, "TV Land Detroit" by Gordon Castelnero has a chapter in it on Sir Graves.

There's one line in it that comes to mind from Lawson Deming himself," I never had one bit of hostility directed toward me. The press was always very kind to me...I was lovable, and I really had fun doing Sir Graves Ghastly."

They definitely don't make them like that anymore.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was lovable

He would show artwork sent in by children. Some of it was absolutely hideous. But he always praised them all as masterpieces no matter what. Who could fault a guy like that? Yep, one of a kind.

Ookpik

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was one of those children who had their art displayed by Sir Graves. That was easily 35+ years ago. I remember it fondly to this day. :-)

Ookpik

Jimaz

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, I'm sure your's was not one of the hideous. Don'tcha wish you'd saved a copy of it to post here?

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 27, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 617
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your masterpiece was picked to be in the "Art Ghoulery" you were sent a Sir Graves photograph.

Ookpik

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which I still have. :-)

And yes Jimaz, I wish I had a copy to post here. I think Sir Graves even said my name!

Oookpik

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching him also. Gosh, the memories. SGG, the Ghoul, Bill Kennedy, Rita Bell. I can't remember the last time I just sat around the house watching old movies

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotta share my Sir Graves story:

When me and my pal were 12 years old we were serious SGG fans. My pal was an even bigger monster movie fan, and he would have his mom mail his carefully crafted monster drawings to Sir Graves on a weekly basis. He could never figure out why his art never appeared in the "Art Ghoullery". One day, while we were at the local paper drive rooting through reams of papers for "magazines", we discovered his art work.
"Wow !! Sir Graves must live in our neighborhood!" my buddy said. "He must have loved my work so much he took it home to post it on his fridge!"
"Then, somehow it fell into his recycling bag and ended up at the paper drive!"
I think we spent the rest of the afternoon arguing over which was more likely, Vampire T.V. hosts living in our neighborhood or his mom pitching out his artwork along with the rest of the recycleables !!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.