Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Photo Location « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lizzie
Username: Lizzie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recognize this building? Picture is from the 1940s.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What building?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any building.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 845
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks pretty white to me. Perhaps somewhere at the north pole? Well I better give Lizzie the benefit of the doubt on her first post as those can be difficult. The photo must be somewhere in Detroit...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Lizzie.

Posting pictures here can be a bit of a trick.
1, it can be no larger than 550 pixels either H or V
2, it can be no larger then 50K in size.

A free program to change these parameters is:
http://www.irfanview.com

its a little tricky to use, open the pix you want to modify, go to Image, Size and set the largest number to 550. Then SaveAs, (somewhere in that you can set the max size of the file, set to 40K) Save as a jpeg.

Good luck

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the FAQ: How do I post a picture?

(It's a White Castle in a blizzard!)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I found a picture of it from another angle.

Psip

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker you forgot to credit that, is it WSU/VMC or LOC ?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one might even stump Mikem.

However I wouldn't bet against him, he's pretty good.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure this is the building in question.

:-)

Ookpik

Jimaz

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, bite me.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I'm surprised nobody's figured it out yet. It's obviously a shot of people packing the streets of Detroit in front of Hudson's during the blizzard of 1947.

Psip

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enlarged Ookpik pix and enhanced the detail.
I still am not sure.

copy

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cute guys :-)
Lizzie, welcome to THE forum, you'll learn in time.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6245
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here it is at night.

night

Sorry, I couldn't resist :-)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Michigan weather effect. The original was during a snow storm. AIW's was during the blackout.

Welcome to the forum Lizzie. It takes a little bit to figure out how to do most things on here. It will work out in time.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizzie,

Go here to learn how to upload a photograph:

https://www.detroityes.com/0faq.htm #How_do_I_post_a_picture

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know how to use the internets....

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 984
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't bash on the newbie guys. That's why this site is so run down now. No politness.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 886
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL on post 1997, Jimaz

Jimaz

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shhhhh! Karl, bite me again.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

c'mon now...speaking as a newbie myself..cut 'em some slack...

Urbanize

Post Number: 999
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hardly ever treat newbies wrong. It won't do nothing to steer them away from the site and make them think negative about the site.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2265
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't bash on the newbie guys. That's why this site is so run down now. No politness.

That's why? Because we all possess characteristics of a tough, nasty little mbuna?

Now if you were saying it was because we are not polite vs. we are a type of Cichlid from Malawi, then you may have a point.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, ok, the Child Play, the Child Play on the site is the issue. Thre's a difference between having a characteristc and knowing how to express it. My point was people on the site don't know how to "express" and when to "express" their chracteristic of "nasty little mbuna".

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I have taken a temporary vow of politeness, I need to tell you, in a very kind way, that I was mocking your spelling of the word "politeness" and your use of the word "politness" instead.

You see, the two have different meanings. A polit is a type of fish.

"Politness" is even highlighted in yellow in the spell check prior to posting.

I believe it would really be quite simple to just look at the words in yellow, before you post, and then make sure you did not spell those wrong.

If one occasionally slips by, so be it. But really, I will try to be more polite, if you try and proof-read your posts, and make a modicum of effort on your grammar.

Deal?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, deal. However, that means no more "not speaking for you". I feel if the newbie sees that the site as a whole is friendly and welcoming, then maybe they will want to get more intersted in the site and become a old head one day like you. I really wouldn't of said nothing until someone went Bush on here, which I think is insulting to him and the creator of this thread. Also, try reading more carefully. I never mentioned you being impolite. I just said people on the site as a generalization. However, I do appreciate how you defended the rudeness on the thread.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, muhahahahahhah...love this post, but I'm stumped as to what the photo is.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lmao on this post. Thanks for a great laugh!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, this whole thread was a spoof from the start on the part of the OP. Consider for a moment that some half hour elapsed between the first and second posts. Using a modicum of uncommonly common sense, the OP could easily have deleted the post until he/she/it got it right.

OTOH, if this were a genuine post, the OP's self-esteem must be really fragile as evidenced by the lack of any response. It's not the fault of others to not be overly concerned about the "feelings" of anybody who posts on any forum--as a newbie or otherwise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.