Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Synagogues « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a little help with your opinions about a topic. I am considering the study of the bible since I’ve never even read it. It just seems that this book is important enough to warrant a study. I do not belong to an organized religion so I am flying blind on this topic. In my consideration for this study it occurred to me that since Jews wrote the bible they might be the best to study under/with. So, my question for my Jewish and I guess none Jewish friends is, “Are Jews at Detroit Synagogues open to people that are not Jewish coming to study the bible with them?” Also, any suggestions about a good Detroit Synagogue to consider doing this study? Now, just knowing the way this works I’m sure I haven’t phrased this in the “proper” way/tone, haven’t couched it to everyone’s taste, made assumptions that not anyone/everyone would have made, etc. I hope I need not go on with the litany of all the disclaimers to suit everyone. But, back to the topic I am interested in all ideas, opinions, criticisms, suggestions and insights.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 842
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could maybe take a class at a university. Something such as 'the Bible as literature.' Might be what you are looking for. I am not Jewish either, so I have no idea how receptive they are. There are basically 3 types of Judaism the strictest is orthodox. They are the ones that you see walking to the synagogue on Saturdays. My guess is that you would want to hang out with a less orthodox sect.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, you may want to consider how you look at the scriptures and their relation to various denominations.

Some denominations feel that the church sprang from the Bible; that the Bible is the foundation of the church.

Others (usually older faiths) feel that the church or faith came first and that the scriptures simply document and testify of the faith.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5268
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba thinks the Baptists do a fine job of teaching The Bible. Baptists really know all parts of it.

Remember that the Jews stopped after the first 5 books. The Christians took it from there.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has ever started a truly Judeo-Christian house of worship... they could call it..... "Our Lady of the Finkelstines". :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5271
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldberg's Precious Blood.

O'Malley Talmud Torah.

Finkelstein Mosque.

jjaba 2nd Baptist Church.

Gistok Reform Temple.

Moshe Lipshitz Catholic Seminary.

jjaba.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You heard about the new Kosher Mexican restaurant on Bagley?--Casa Hadassah

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba u always put a smile on my face....:}...even though you are a westsider...

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In answer to your question , you would be welcome with open arms at any conservative or reformed metro Detroit synagogue that I can think of . I have studied at a couple and there were always people of different colors and faiths in the classes that I took . I'm positive that as long as you were respectful , they would be very happy to have you involved .

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Softailrider for a straight answer to a simple question. I was afraid that this important question to me was going to go unanswered to make way for the newest downtown eatery discussion or why it really is safe to be downtown at 2:00 A.M.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5272
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman, welcome to the Forum.

You gotta admit that at Casa Hadassah, eating a corned beef and swiss burrito is pretty funny.

Hold out for the flan ruggalla.

jjaba, Westside Torah Bukkor.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend that you read the Bible with no objective for starters - if for nothing else it is essential to understanding much of Western Civilization art, history, literature and more, even Detroit.

The erudite and respected jjaba might be reminded that Jews wrote the entire Bible, Christian and Torah parts included. To opine that only the first five count is, IMO, to overlook some gems like the great poetry of the Psalms, the Song of Solomon, Job and the Ecclesiastes not to mention skipping the fabulous stories of Samson and Delilah, David and Goliath, Joshua, Daniel, Ezekial and more. And that's before you get to the biggie - Jesus.

But maybe the story stops with the Pentateuch on the westside. :-)

And welcome to the forum Mortalman. Perhaps, with your interests, you should have chosen Moralman for your avatar.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5274
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, jjaba always learns from you. jjaba may be respected but an erudite Biblical Scholar is the last thing someone would say about me.

As Lowell knows, Judaism is a religion and Jews can be religious or not, an ethnic group, a race, or just a guy with a Jewish mother. jjaba is some of each of those.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.