Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brush Park Future « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mg2007
Username: Mg2007

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where does everyone see brush park being at in about 2-3 years?? when wil it be done completely and how safe is it today? I really seem to like it there and wanted to see what people though?

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Mg2007!

They need to stop adding new style townhouses and start adding comparably sized Victorian type structures. More period structures would connect the older homes better and not seem so dis-jointed.

All lots sold and in development stages in 2-3 years. If I win the lotto, my Victorian will be there.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree Warrenite84. The days of rows of Victorian mansions are over. The ones that remain shall be renovated, but further development must be dense, urban development. Obviously, all buildings will be new and have some sort of "Victorian" component to them (as required by the Community), but I see the entire neighborhood being dense 4-5 story townhouses, Flats and Condo buildings with commercial buildings at street intersections.

At least, that what I am hoping for, since I live there!

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always enjoyed the Canfield Historic District. Brush Park could use a filled out street or two in similar fashion.

I found two nice townhomes that would be great there in the "Buildings of Detroit" book.
#97 Henry P. Baldwin House built in 1877
3 stories with three sided bump-outs on either side with a raised center entry and 2nd floor balcony.
#101-103 John S. Newberry House built in 1875
similar but 'L' shaped with a 4 story Italianette tower in the notch.

Detroitduo, are you in the townhouses or the older homes? Either way, that up and coming area looks like a good investment.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Detroitduo on this. Brush Park's future will be urban dense townhomes and garden style lofts. Most of the existing mansions will be restored to multi-unit condos with carriage houses.

As nice as Woodbridge and Corktown are, they don't have the geographic advantage of Brush Park. North Brush Park, where I live, is within walking distance of the river, the DIA, Wayne State, the Eastern Market, the bus lines, the Detroit People Mover, the two stadia, the Fox, and much, much more. And it is immediately adjacent to the Medical Center. Certainly, new walking distance retail will be here within a year or two.

I moved to Brush Park from Los Angeles about three years ago. The changes have been profound, and are accelerating. If you are looking for a true non-autocentric urban neighborhood, then Brush Park can't be beat.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the most part I see what the others are talking about. I feel that an attempt to remake victorian buildings is a no no. What is gone is gone. Restore what you have and create something new. It is disingenious to creat a victorian in 2007, the materials, building style, and craftsmenship is all different.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Ilitch is building the new arena behind the Fox, would it be possible to move the GAR over to Brush Park? They moved the GEM and the Elwood Bar for Comerica, so it seems like it would be possible.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a pretty good idea, Yooper, but unless Illich can get someone else to pay for it, I don't see him doing that sort of job. Besides, you'd have to jump over the freeway and I only see that as a big mess... Regardless, a nice dream...

But NO Victorian style parking structures, OK?! :-)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yooper, why are you so spooked that Ilitch will demolish the GAR Building for a hockey arena? If a hockey arena is built behind the Fox, there will be plenty enough room to build it without affecting the GAR.

Detroitduo

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his point is that the GAR would be an awesome addition to B.P., while sitting next to a giant hockey arena would take away from it's grandness. In B.P. it would fit like a glove...

But, like I said, just a nice dream.

Personally, I am looking forward to the Retail development in B.P. I want to be able to WALK to the local Grocery or Coffeshop. I know it will come.... but I don't want to wait anymore!!! :-)

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now University Foods, Harbortown and Honey bee are the only gigs in the area I would love to see something like http://ncga.coop/member-stores or possibly http://www.sunflowermarkets.co m/sunflower-webapp/index.jsp
both would work well in a merchants row storefront!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or on the bottom floor of a brush park Loft development.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Boston over the weekend and saw a Trader Joe's in the BASEMENT of a building in an urban neighborhood. There was an elevator/lift that carried your groceries up to street level. It's interesting how creative you can get with land use when property values are so high.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 665
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a couple grocery stores like that in NY. There is a Whole Foods in the basement of the Time Warner Center and a Food Emporium in the basement of another building that I think NYU owns.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 495
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, in the basement of the Ansonia Apartment House on Broadway and 73rd is a Gristedes Grocery Store. Before that it was a Food Emporium (A&P). But 'way before that, the space was Plato's Retreat, a hetro sex club. And before that it housed the Continental Baths, one of the city's, if not the country's, major gay baths. That's where Bette Midler got her start as a performer.

I always feel a great sense of history while buying my Diet Coke and potato chips there.

Aguide
Username: Aguide

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will agree with my Brush Park neighbors on this one. It's a great place - I just bought a place there last fall. And to see the changes going on literally every week is amazing. I am heartened to see that even though the housing will be 'different' than the original, it is in keeping. Check out the hipcityliving.com page for how it can work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.