Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Design and The American Hot Rod!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ajw
Username: Ajw

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all, first post here and an obvious newcomer to the forums. I have lived in Detroit for 4 years now, I go to CCS and I am studying Industrial Design.

If anyone is around midtown Wednesday afternoon, I'd highly recommend you stop by the CCS campus. We have organized a showing of 3 historic area Hot Rods (and their owners) and we are showcasing their often overlooked importance to vehicle stying and overall American culture. Embracing the hot-rod as an art form, so to speak.

The event is held by the Hot Rods of Dearborn organization (me and Tom Khur organized the event on a whim nearly 2 months ago). It starts at 10am and runs until 2pm. They are driving the cars here themselves so I'd hate for them to not have a crowd!

If anyone loves area Rods and the people behind the rolling sculptures, come or contact me if you need directions or more information!

-Abe Waugh

(Message edited by ajw on April 23, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard Abe, great to have another motor head on the forum. I take it from your description that these are old-school (50's-60's) style rods based on 30's cars? Those are my favorites. I'm not much for the "pussy rods" they make today with a crate SBC, power seats,windows,antenna,A/C, 1kw stereo.
Why not just buy a Plymouth Prowler?

Ajw

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are all hot rods built by the originators! These are THE people that started rodding in southeastern Michigan. The three cars are as follows:

Terry McFarlanes 1927 Model T Sedan
Bob Larson's Engineering Special (this car is absolutely stunning!)
Todd Storr's 1929 Model A

They are driving them here, which is just a testament to the craftsmanship involved and the dedication these individuals have for keeping Rodding alive. These cars are all hand made, and are certainly NOT trailer queens! These are pure rodding, through and through. If you can't tell I am quite excited.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1606
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how late is this going? i live nearby, and incidentally, am a graduate of the car program there :-)

Ajw

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will run until about 2pm

also, CCS alumni, that is exciting! I'll be a senior next semester (just Industrial Design no focus on transportation)!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dang, i won't be out of work yet.

the broad scope of general ID makes it far more exciting, by my senior year i was sick of cars. good luck with the rest of your education!

Ajw

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is quite unfortunate the weather on Wednesday is looking particularly horrid...

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, wish I could make it too.

Unquestionably “hot-rods” and their evil cousins “choppers” are America's contribution to rolling design and muscle just as jazz is to music.

Their look can be stamped and store bought but it just ain’t the same spirit when you turn that key (or kick it over).

It’s great how a new generation agrees.

56pac, if you’re not into “trailer queens” (except at closing time) check out The Billetproof show this June 2nd, in Davisburg.

My rigid ’68 XLCH should make the cut.

Good luck with the show rain or shine Abe.

www.billetproof.com/upcoming_s hows/upcoming_shows.

56packman

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor Rick--in regards to the Billetproof show pictures
"that's the way (aha-aha) I like it!"

Ajw

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you much, Id love to attend the billetproof show as well! I was at Autorama although not as "grassroots" as what I've outlined in this showing, still appealing nonetheless for any car enthusiast.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11510
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those are my favorites. I'm not much for the "pussy rods" they make today with a crate SBC

Typical straight six Nova schitt. :-) Anyways, small blocks are for daily drivers, true hot rods have big blocks.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyways, small blocks are for daily drivers, true hot rods have big blocks."

Oh hell, a V-8 is a V-8. Flathead, small block, poly head, hemi... whatever... it's an obsolete engine design that is chosen by those who prefer to put most of their paycheck right into their fuel tank.

Can you say, "gas sucker"?

Say, when do you think regular unleaded will top $3 per gallon? Next week?

Ajw

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're on to something here,

thanks for clarifying a historical vehicle's incredible efficiency.

56packman

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beach Boys never wrote a song about fuel-efficient cars. It's our hobby dollars, we're using our rights as free people to spend them as we see fit. And shut down Woodward for one week in August.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no replacement for displacement.

Fury13

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, Packman, I'm all for viewing those rolling museum pieces as a hobby.

Just don't call it transportation.

I'm not much of a Beach Boys fan, either. The 413 in "Shut Down" would've smoked the Vette in real life.

56packman

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury--agreed. Modern cars do a lot of things better for fuel economy,safety, reliability and creature comfort.

Jan and Dean wrote some good car tunes!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11518
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,

So simply put, you're not an auto enthusiast. Me, I need something more than simply a means of transportation. I need the body lines, the style, the performance, and the power to get form point A to point B.

Sure, you can fill your blah, blah, blah fuel efficient matchbox car up for $5 less per fill up. However, you won't experience the thrill of driving each and every tank as I do. For me, I'll pay the extra price for that alone, because it's more than just "transportation," and THAT my friend is why I'll continue to pay $3, $4, or $5 a gallon to keep driving the type of car I love, instead of some ugly ass bland car that blends in with everything else on the road and can't out accelerate your typical lawn tractor.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I hadn't splurged on a performance car, I wouldn't be alive today to write this. Sometimes you just have to get out of harms way, NOW!

It was a semi about to T-bone me. From a dead stop I fishtailed into the opposite lane, coming to rest dead center there all with perfect control. Phew!

She's a sweet machine.

Fury13

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, I understand what you're saying. I used to feel that way too. Rising fuel prices killed the "joy" and "thrill" of driving for me. And those fuel prices will keep going up.

Now, I just want something that's relatively trouble-free and won't drain my bank account.

I think you'll feel differently about this issue when you're 40 or 45.

If you want to put a large portion of your income into your gas tank, I guess that's your choice. To me, that makes no sense. I'd rather put that money into my home, entertainment, or supplies and food for my dogs.

Ajw

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

exactly the reason I drive a 1993 mazda protege. 1.8 Litres of fury, I call it the Mazda of undeniable force. 35 mpg easyyyy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.