Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Southwest Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to hear more about southwest Detroit. I'm sure we've had several threads about it, but I want to hear more.

I noticed that Southwest is still pretty full. It also seemed dirty and a little cramped, maybe what old Detroit felt like. I loved the factories and the crowded streets.

So who lives there? Anybody here on the forum?

Southwest is all the land in the city of Detroit south of Michigan and west of Grand?

I have one more question. I entered Detroit going north bound on 75. This building was in southwest Detroit. It was on to the left of the freeway if you're entering the city. It had a big sign on top saying Hotel.... What is the name of that hotel. It's a 5 or 6 story reb brick building. What's it like?

I hope this becomes an interesting thread. Pictures of southwest would be really cool too.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it, Hotel Yorba. Is it still functioning?
It's at Hubbard and Lafayette. Does anybody know the history of that place?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is still functioning as kind of a flop house. I believe 50 a week. The White Stripes wrote a song about it and it is featured on the album sleeve

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It seems like a scary place to stay. I read about the White Stripes and how they recorded the album in room 256 or something.

Any other history?

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I grew up there.

Getting ice cream at the Dairy Queen on Springwells, that was owned by a older man and his wife, they became a indy shop after a while, then sold it.

Going to the post office on Springwells with my Mom.

Going with my Dad to the car wash on Springwells on Saturday.

Shopping at the old Skyway Market on Vernor Highway. (That had a massive gas explosion and fire.. and finally burned to the ground... Now an Arbor Drugs)

Shopping at the J & A market with my parents.

The air raid sirens on the first saturday of the month and the chorus of dog howls that went along with it. and being tempted to howl along with them, but not doing it, for fear of being considered weird. (hehehe)

Going to Senate Coney Island, for hotdogs. (yummy!)

Going to School at Open Door Baptist academy on dearborn st. in delray, and smell Wayne Soap Company and seeing their nasty trucks driving by... (PHEW!)

Playing at the Delray Recreation Center in the warmer months, during school, they had the best swings.

memories...

Hardliner Southwest Side

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee guy...

www.insidesouthwest.com

This is a pretty neat site...

After arriving at website go to Virtual Tour and then pick your neighborhood...

I am mostly familar with the Vernor Junction area and over to Clark Park... and Duly's on the corner of Vernor and Junction, best Coney's in Detroit...

regards

(Message edited by chuckles on April 23, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone ID and give the history of the building on the corner of Junction and Fort? It's the one that looks like it may had a clock at the top of it at one time.

Thanks for any help.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Louie Caradino (sp?) (He owned Angelo's Coney Island on Vernor) owned it with some investors at one time, I remember it was being cleaned up and renovated in the late 70's. I don't know how it turned out.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't forget Duly's

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5843
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Detroit today is filled up with mostly Mexican/Hispanic, fewer whites, Arabs and blacks. Businesses along Bagley Rd. (Mexicantown) is still thriving as it did 80 years ago and more Mexican/Hispanic businesses have expanded further southwestward along W. Vernor HWY., Michigan Ave. and McGraw St. from Livernois to Ford Rd. near the Dearborn border. The community is 2nd fastest growing community in Detroit. bring more future businesses, homes, apts and lofts.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the help. It seems like such an interesting place. I went down Vernor and I was surprised to see it so busy at night. I love all the industry down there. It's like a Gary that never died.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best subs are at Gonellas on Oakwood.
Carry out only.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ORIGINAL Gonella's subs is no longer located on Oakwood, although the store with that name still exists there. Vinnie Jr.is a good personal friend and sold out that store when his dad died several years back. He now has a shop on Outer Drive just past Rotunda Drive in Dearborn. That is the original Gonella's now, and they do, indeed, have the best subs in town!! You still order by number of meats/number of cheeses, example: I'll take a 5 and 3!!!

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Mexicantown, the main restaurant strips and the largest grocers employ lots of English speakers. Sometimes the waiter/waitress does not understand Spanish when I order in the "tourist" district of Mexicantown.

Therefore, I like to get off the beaten-path and visit the areas where there is limited English spoken.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.