Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit's latest clock tower « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's been up for, what? A month now? Has the new clock tower atop the old Jeffries housing
project grown on anybody yet? At first I thought it was lame. Now I kinda like it.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks funny compared to the other towers, but it's nice to see that the clock has the right time, at least the clock that faces Midtown(East).

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda like it.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ok.

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0421Det Dev04_21_070013.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0421Det Dev04_21_070043.jpg

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 979
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, does it have any special bells or chimes?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the saying is "bells and whistles". J/K. I was wondering if it is lit at night. I guess I'll have to go and check when I get home.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5414
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very odd looking, but at least it has a function.

That first pic with the MCS and Southwest Detroit industrial background is awesome.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2152
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of silly looking from an architectural standpoint. It's not hard at all to see that the buildings are 50s-60s era public housing modernism with mansard roofs slapped on. If that wasn't silly looking enough then they add a clock to the roof.

This isn't much different than those EFIS covered party stores or strip malls that try and fake people into thinking they're something fancy.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now we know where the copper from the Lee Plaza went :-)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 982
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing the answer to my question is "NO" then.

What's a clock tower without Bells and Whistles.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 22, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you twisted either the clock tower or the building 45°, the clock would be visible closer to the structure ... or you could wear a watch. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 685
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's kind of silly looking from an architectural standpoint. It's not hard at all to see that the buildings are 50s-60s era public housing modernism with mansard roofs slapped on. If that wasn't silly looking enough then they add a clock to the roof.

That's why I didn't like it at first, but it's kinda grown on me in that cheezy-but-endearing kind of way. Certainly doesn't make them look any worse than they did before. ... ... Not that that was possible.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, it looks cheesy, but it looks a HELL of a lot better than those towers used to...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4166
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we should coin a new name for that style... "Bleaux Arts" :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5258
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket City, "bells and whstles" is a term used to describe a new piece of industrial equipment like a printing press, a steam shovel, or a big-ass truck.

Sometimes the adaptive re-use of a building does look stupid, like this case. But what's the alternative? Vacant public housing ruins?

Now folks in Canada can look through the Michigan Central Station to see what time it is, eh. It's a good thing.

jjaba.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3380
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the chuckle, Jjaba, will they add a rotating restaurant too?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5417
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, the towers wouldn't have been vacant public housing. They'd been converted over to age-restricted (senior) market-rate housing a few years back, so it's not exactly as if this comical roofing was needed to make them viable. I'm not going to complain, though, because there isn't much you could do to make them look more bland than they already are.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

little architectural additions like these are sorta like the blue liquid in the bottom of porta johns and RV toilets. They take the smell of shit and make it smell like blue shit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 821
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mansard roof isn't a bad idea (just turned out to be a bad way of implementing it as it now looks), but that clock on top is a little bit over the top.

Bvos

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba and 56packman win the AIA Detroit 2007 award for architectural criticism!

Great lines both of you! Who needs those high-falutin' architectural snobs from the Times and Tribune in NYC and Chicago when we've got two folks right here on DetYES! who can get their point across with words everyone can understand as well as with words that perfectly match the sophistication of the architecture in question.

Charlottepaul, kind of an ironic comment there.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's highly doubtful that a trained architect was responsible for any part of the decison-making that went into glomming a 19th Century small-town New England clock tower onto a mid-20th Century building designed in a pure Modernist style. It really is a cringe inducing clash of styles. The mansard element to screen the HVAC equipment is executed marginally decently given its lack of ornament as is necessary to complement the mid-century design of the original building. But the clock tower looks like it came from a 4th grade class competition. Yeesh. If the owner/developers really wanted to add a clock feature, an architect adept with mid-century design could surely have executed a better design. The upgrades to these buildings and the new housing units added to this neighborhood are great to see. But the clock? Oy.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks pretty stupid. I did not know that the city was doing anything with these buildings... I thought there was a plan to demolish them. Is this a city run project or what?

Psip

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this the Herb Strather project?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the ...? This is horrible. The mansard roof was ridiculous, but this is completely over the top. Please tell me this was not paid for by Housing Commission dollars.

What is the point of all this? It isn't market housing, and there's a long waiting list for senior housing. Does some bureaucrat consider this an aesthetic improvement on the streetscape? I don't like Corbusian Towers in the Park, but to stick a funny hat on top is just silly.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sort of silly looking, but... silly is not always a bad thing. I wouldn't say it's ugly, at least. Perhaps it has a bit of post-modern charm?

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is just awful. Yeesh. I don't know who was thinking what or smoking what, but that is wrong. It’s like buying a shaggy dog and shaving it and putting the hair on a Chihuahua.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is soo bad!

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooooh get a life,, this was a nasty ass hell hole, drug infested, killing haven. Now Woodbridge Estates has revamped this "good times" towers to a respectable senior citizen tower. the clock looks new, so get over it.

Bvos

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw,

If this is an example of post-modern architecture for renovations, this world is in a lot of trouble!

Downtown_remix,

No one is putting down the rehabilitation of the neighborhood. What we're dissing is the fact that they put who knows how many tens of thousands of dollars into that clock. They could have done without it and invested it into somewhere else on the site (parks, public art, etc.).

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11507
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

File the majority of the responses on this thread under Skulker's "DumbfuckistanYes.com." Perhaps the critics need to take a drive through the still existing projects across from Ford Field, as a reminder of just how far the 3 towers in Woodbridge Estates have come.

As somebody who has these towers in plain view out his back window, they look 100x better than they did before. Most visitors will easily mistake the painted aluminum roof for aged copper. The clock tower seemed like a perfect fit to me, considering the elevator shaft for on reason or another was higher on that tower. They even added some brick work around the clock tower to implement it.

All three buildings, rehabbed or not, still looked like the same old projects until the green roofs and clock were added. Hardly what I would compare to "smells like blue shit." I wonder, what exactly would the critics have suggested for improvements to the buildings, so they didn't look like former projects?

Crawford

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, they ARE STILL projects. Putting a silly clock on top does not make them less project-like.

Why are projects a dirty word? Half the projects in Detroit are for seniors only. Are people worried that some church grannies are going to jump you? Detroit's projects usually look better maintained than the surrounding market-rate housing.

(Message edited by crawford on April 23, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5259
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mansard Roof is from France. So is Detroit.
The historical architectural vocabulary makes as much sense here as Frank Llyod Wright's prairie houses belonging on the Michigan prairie.

"Mansard" is a corruption of Francois Mansart (1598-1666) who designed roofs of this type. In Paris, this style was revived as "French Second Empire" coinciding with the rule of Napolean III
(1852-70). The style is also called "General Grant" style, an American hero of the same era.

The French were adding these roof treatments hiding an extra floor of occupancy from the tax collectors and zoning officials, and as Supersport notes, the roofs and clock in question, hides ugly-ass mechanical equipment.

Whether these are "misguided improvements" or high art depends on your taste and the direction you are driving on the John C. Lodge. For many of us, if that pile wasn't on the expressway, it wouldn't even fucking exist.

It must always be said that de-troit is The Paris of the Midwest. So it fits, eh.

jjaba, Westsider on the Hamilton Express.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5260
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos 2153, Merci!

jjaba, tells it like it tis.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too good because I shot this out the front window of the car on the move, but here is what everyone is talking about.

Jeffries Project Clock Tower Detroit

Jjaba

Post Number: 5264
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merci Lowell. Oh, so Parisian!

jjaba.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I know why I didn't like that tower!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe they are still housing projects. They've been completely renovated (interior and all) into the Woodbridge Senior Apartments, market-rate, age-restricted housing.

The 8 units per floor of the former projects were combined into 4 apartment units per floor. The towers are now managed by Premier Property Management, and redeveloped by Park Scripps Associates, a partnership of local developers. Though, they still owned by the Housing Commission. In essence, they've been privatized.

(Message edited by lmichigan on April 23, 2007)

Crawford

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are all still public housing. There is no market-rate housing in this development.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/ho usecomm/pdfs/DHCSsbro2002.pdf

They are income-restricted according to Area Median Income and rents are set at 30% of income.
These are HUD guidelines and are the same for public housing across America.

Again, what is the point of a clocktower and fake roof on public housing? There's a big waitlist for Detroit public housing. I'd like to see the name of the contractor on this job. I bet you there's a link to someone high up in Detroit govt.

Are there plans for other fanciful additions to Detroit public housing? How about an Eifel Tower or a Statue of Liberty on the other buildings?

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they do anything in Detroit that the folks on this forum like? This is not meant as a smart ass question really! I'm just kinda new here and not a Detroiter but, it seems everything draws complaints and critcism. The building in question here doesn't look so bad to me. Looks better than the many abandoned and vandalized buildings that are seen on here so often.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if there's no market rate housing in this development, then what's this?

http://www.woodbridgeestates.com/index.cfm?method=OurModels

(Message edited by matt on April 23, 2007)

Crawford

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oilcan, would you prefer a useless Jeffries "top hat", or would you prefer money spent on maintenance, safety, etc. Whether or not the clock looks better than a vacant lot is irrelevant.

Matt, that is adjacent Woodbridge Estates, which is market-rate and not affiliated with the Detroit Housing Commission.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oilcan:

You're new here, but you catch on quick.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/clocktwr9107.aspx

Heres the modeld story

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 296
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a pre-installation view of the clock

Gistok

Post Number: 4171
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er um... wasn't the Eifel Tower already done... on the Penobscot Building?

Psip

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That clock tower is somewhat reminiscent of the Fort Street Union Depot clock tower.

FSUD

But nowhere near as cool looking.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 410
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, what happened to that, and why?

Psip

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

read all about it SofD
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/54651.html?11750992 66

it was torn down in the late 70s

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad So much history was lost :-(

Psip

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a better pix of the clock, courtesy of Hornwrecker and WSU/VMC from the above link

clock

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The clock can hang with the one on the Fort Street Union Depot, it is the rest of the building that sucks.

Bvos

Post Number: 2158
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The perspective that the Model D article pic has of the clock tower makes it look even more ridiculous. The clock tower is out of scale to the building in addition to being just a bad design. If you're going to do a roof top clock, do a CLOCK, not some whimpy little thing like what's been put up.

(Message edited by bvos on April 24, 2007)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11513
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford,

What's with the cob up your ass? Is it so wrong to want public housing that doesn't look like a pile of shit? Whether you like the roof and clock or not, I can't see how you could argue that it doesn't look better than it did before.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Putting a dress on a pig?"

Crawford

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, I really do think it looked better before. The "before" looks like generic postwar Corbusian housing. It could be in Hamburg or Haifa. The "after" is a Disneyfied joke. It could only be in America.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The "before" looks like generic postwar Corbusian housing. It could be in Hamburg or Haifa.

That might be true, but who the hell wants their city to look like a Le Corbusier nightmare or some outer-limits bombed-out shithole in the Middle East?

Gistok

Post Number: 4185
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well now we have Le Corbusier meets Salvador Dali... (sans the melted clock face)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5269
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, post 11513 is a classic. Belongs in HOF. Nobody understands that you now have a clock in your view. No excuses getting to work late, eh.

jjaba, LOL.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos to John Gallagher of the Freep and his 5/19 column "Debate is welcome in Detroit in which he focusses on the lively debate in this posting and quotes from the posts by b{swingline}, jjaba, and charlottepaul!!!! You all deserve a pat on the back!!!!

"We build cities not just with steel and glass, money and sweat, but with words.

Words that we speak and write help form our concept of a city. They let us express the complex realities of what we want our city to become.

So when skeptics chide me for my tempered optimism about Detroit architecture, I point to the growing and vigorous debate in this town on the nature and direction of our built environment.

All the cities famed for their architecture -- Chicago, New York, you name it -- enjoy vigorous debates about the subject, not to mention a wide range of preservation societies, walking tours, lectures, books and other appreciations of good design.

In Detroit, that public discourse on architecture and urban planning used to be rare. There was a time (and not so long ago) when we were supposed to celebrate everything that went up just because it was locally designed and built. Thankfully, those days are gone.

Take the new clock tower erected several weeks ago atop one of the former Jeffries Homes towers alongside the Lodge just north of downtown. It's part of the new Woodbridge Estates residential project headed up by Detroit developer Herb Strather. No sooner had crews erected the clock tower than a local Internet site, www.detroityes.com, sported a lively debate on its appropriateness. ..."

Full article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070519/BUS INESS04/705190303/1002/BUSINES S

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much he plans on quoting Dyes in the future. I wonder what I'd do if my screenname was published in the newspaper.

Did Gallagher contact Lowell to in turn contact the people behind the screennames to ask for permission.

Of course it is nice to see Dyes get recognition.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed he didn't go anywhere near my comment about blue shit. I don't blame him, I'd want to keep my job too.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5330
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, exactly. Gallagher never contacted jjaba, this is for sure. Maybe Lowell can explain how we are quoted without permission. Perhaps these jewels are public domain.

If jjaba is used to sell newspapers, then pony up with the royalties.

jjaba, checking his mailbox for royalty check.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are posting on a public forum. duh

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that being mentioned in a newspaper article is complimentary, and even more so in this case as the author was stating that what we are doing is a good thing. Doesn't bother me one bit to be published, and furthermore to have the best forum ever recognized once again. Now if only we could get a similar forum down here in Charlotte I could critique the much worse architecture just as vigorously...

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That thing is hideous. It's like putting a cherry on top of a terd.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4383
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mackinaw, exactly. Gallagher never contacted jjaba, this is for sure. Maybe Lowell can explain how we are quoted without permission. Perhaps these jewels are public domain.

If jjaba is used to sell newspapers, then pony up with the royalties.

jjaba, checking his mailbox for royalty check.

Blow it out your ass. If jjaba doesn't want to be quoted in newspapers than jjaba shouldn't run his mouth in a public venue.

Gallagher took your quote off a public website and sited his source. Your post wasn't copyrighted material. Even if it was, Gallagher's column would still protected under Fair Use rules.

Hell, if 10% of DY posters quoting material on this Board could adhere to Fair Use rules it would be a miracle.

Gistok

Post Number: 4352
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that posters with "LK" in their monikers (Jelk, Skulker) are so fuckin' rude to everyone on this forum... have been since day one...

Maybe the Mrs. is hiding the Viagra again... :-(

Jjaba, our beloved westside "Jewish" forumer, was only half kidding when wants his royalties.... jjaba, did you want the "wholesale" or "retail" slice of your royalties? :-)

Jelk

Post Number: 4384
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is it that posters with "LK" in their monikers (Jelk, Skulker) are so fuckin' rude to everyone on this forum...

Because we have higher IQ's than the rest of you people.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk---Relax. My goodness. Some things are said in jest.

Jelk

Post Number: 4385
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure jjaba isn't actually expecting a royalty check but the first part of his post (and Mackinaw's post) don't read as if they are in jest. Ironic that DetroitYES would complain when someone, properly, quotes and sites DY posts after DY participants long record of unethical (and in some cases illegal) re-posting of copyrighted material onto this board. To his credit, Lowell has tried to discourage that behavior. None the less, to complain because John Gallagher (one of Detroit's very best journalists) properly quoted DY posters after countless Gallagher column have been re-posted in their entirety on this board is beyond the pale.

Annie Savoy was right: the world belongs to those not cursed with self-awareness.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 820
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like some of our "short-tempered, brusque, playful, sincere, sarcastic, dumb and thoughtful" forummers are trying to make Mr. Gallagher's last point for him. That's OK. He makes a good point, not only about rollicking nature of forums and blogs, but about the contributions that these discussions can make to issues affecting a community. Keep on posting everyone.

Jjaba, your check is ready to be picked up. It's at the Freep's East Side bureau office. I hope that's not a problem.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5538
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Good one, Swingline. Jjaba would never make it.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, your check is ready to be picked up. It's at the Freep's East Side bureau office. I hope that's not a problem.

Ha, funny. Almost all of the bureaus have closed now. They're down to four: Lansing, D.C., Macomb and Oakland (the downtown office isn't a bureau). Oh, how times have changed for the newspaper biz.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we speak, I know that jjaba is actually on the east side. I mean the far east side, I mean the Far East. I am sure we will hear from him.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 685
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jeduncan. It looks awful. When Im driving on the Lodge, I have to look east just to avoid looking at it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.