Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit High School Radio « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have knowledge of Detroit high school radio stations of the past or present?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think 90.9 broadcasts out of the DSA building at Cass and Selden, but I'm not sure if or how or to what extent they're affiliated with the school.

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

90.9 FM WDTR has been the "Detroit Public School's radio station" for many years now. They relocated to the Detroit School for the Fine and Performing Arts (DSA) from the area around Sacred Heart near the Boston-Edison district.

I was one of their student co-hosts for several years in the old studio.

Though the station had had some changes of management, I believe that it is still closely affiliated with DPS.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's now WRCJ-FM, still owned by DPS but managed by Detroit Public Television since August, 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W RCJ

I worked at WSHJ-FM, 88.3 at Southfield High in the middle 70s. Station is still there.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cousino HS in Warren has 89.1 (WPHS)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

90.9 had a kickin' morning show about 5 years ago, geared toward high school students. That was discontinued. They never had a night show it seemed. It went off the air at 5:00 PM. Then they had some really cool alternative in the early morning. Then they discontinued that. Then they had jazz....and they discontinued that. I guess the biggest draw for high school students now is classical....because this is what they have now.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some links to high school radio information.

The MAEB is a state organization of high school and college low-power radio stations, founded in 1978.
http://www.maeb.org

Silenced stations (defunct)
88.1 Waterford (was WTSD Waterford HS)
89.3 Royal Oak (was WOAK, Royal Oak HS-Dondero)
90.3 Farmington Hills (was WORB Oakland CC)
90.3 Oak Park (was WOPR Oak Park HS)

Highland Park HS had WHPR at 88.1, I think, that was sold to a non-profit.

WHPR and WOAK were the first and third HS FM stations in the US, I think, dating back to the late '40's.

Wikipedia has a nice entry on high school radio. Michigan has one of the larger groups of licensed stations in the country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H igh_school_radio

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Parkguy and all! I occasionally drive through some of these low power areas and like to listen in. You pretty much have to be on top of them to get good reception. Cousino HS in Warren is one I hear in the AM on my drive into work, and its loads of fun to hear the morning show. I think radio is a good outlet for this age range, and it’s a good way to keep a finger on the pulse.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 606
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very highly rated one is WBFH, 88.1, in Bloomfield Hills. It's a 300 watt station, which is, I believe, the maximum power a school can have. Reaches out up to 25 miles I think.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDTR used to have a show on Sunday evenings where they played a lot of late 50's early 60's local Detroit rock and roll. It might have been called "Olden Gold". I remember" Dottie's Favorites was a segment of the show. I was a regular listener for quite a few years

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in high school back in the 60's we had our own FM radio station at Royal Oak Kimball. You could pick up the station on 89.3 if you lived within 10 miles of the school. This was in the days of personality radio and I used to do a daily DJ show in my best Lee Alan impersonation every afternoon. I also was the play-by-play announcer for the Friday night football games and basketball games. It was a great experience, leading to me getting a degree in Mass Communications from Wayne State.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.