Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The house across the street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 669
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So earlier this month I wrote that the house across the street from me in New Center burned down.
Here are photos: http://s152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/House %20fire%204-5-07/

The firefighters busted out the windows and down the front door. No one has come by to secure it.

Yesterday while I was out walking, I saw two guys finishing up loading a bathtub into a van. The van was parked in the driveway of the house, so it's a safe assumption it came from the house. Nice claw foot tub. I didn't have a pen on me to jot down a license plate and they took off before I could get close enough to see it.

This morning I am awakened by the sound of a hammer as someone is FINALLY outside boarding it up.

Now, it's possible that the bathtub takers were legit and that the owner paid someone to salvage the valuables and board up the place, but if not... I swear, it's this Mad Max sort of way of life that sometimes goes on here that challenges your optimism.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a really nice house, I was out of town when it burned down and was really shocked to see the charred remains of it when I came back. I live nearby too.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 296
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow--that was a big sucker---nice home---single family??? Detroiters really don't know how nice that have it. Big homes with big yards; and off-street parking!!! Here in Baltimore, homes are tiny with hardly any yard. Even the big ones aren't as big as most in Detroit!!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was a rooming house. Three people, unrelated, lived there.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk, chances are, some opportunist took advantage of the unsecured home. Too bad you didn’t have the camera ready then. This happens all too often, and it makes a bad situation worse. It was a beautiful house, and I'm sorry you have to put up with all that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.