Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Crazy Photos of the 43 Riots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=60c8fa4b e24ec51c0b7910d61934eee9&q1=19 43&rgn1=vmc_da&op2=And&q2=riot s&rgn2=vmc_all&type=boolean&me d=1&view=thumbnail&c=vmc

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. That first one plus the one of the car burning as streetcars pass is mis-labelled as "Woodward and Stimson". The location is Woodward and Milwaukee. I remember the Taystee BBQ well, it was at that location until about 1984. Great ribs.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5837
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all started from a he said she said incident involving a black person and white person at the Belle Isle Bridge.

One guy said that a black man pushed a white woman off the Belle Isle Bridge and the other guy said that a white guy pushed a black woman off the bridge. The riot started by most white folks at Paradise Valley area along Woodward Ave. from Brush Park to midtown areas. And Yes it was RACE related.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“They were all beating him. The blood was all over the pavement and everything.”

Sitting in the Cass Cafe almost 60 years later, Ron Condron vividly remembers hanging from a power pole he’d climbed, seeing a black streetcar conductor pummeled and stomped by a white mob on a hot June afternoon in 1943.

His voice lowers, becoming somber, as he haltingly describes the spectacle, mumbling that the attackers were “beating him with a pipe, rubber hoses, anything they had. ... It was pretty gory, what you could see of it.”

Condron is among the diminishing number of Detroiters who witnessed that terrible afternoon 60 years ago this week, when blacks and whites rioted in the streets. Before it ended, 34 were dead and nearly 700 injured.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=5041

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: where is your proof that it was mostly white people....that seems like an unnecessary jab at white people and an uncalled for placing of the blame.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad remembers being chased into a pool hall and having rioters chase him into a smaller room with friends..They were pulled out of room....His friend, whom he recognized, was in the crowd and he thought he would now be safe;... only to be beaten and had it not been for the neighborhood men coming to their rescue...who knows.

Point is to calm things down before a crowd mentality is born....Leaders for all communities should be careful of inflammatory remarks....

unconditional positive regard is the only answer as well as economic and social justice...

Riots an equal opportunity disaster...

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were three different riots.

Local violence in Hastings Street neighborhood, vandalism of white-owned shops, a few brutal killings of hapless whites.

A police riot, with the DPD charging into Hastings Street and shot first, asked questions later, sometimes shooting people in the back or for mouthing off.

The largest and most destructive riot was the climax, when a crowd of hundreds of white people were pulling black people out of cars and streetcars and pummeling them.

But I am not surprised that you doubt Tkelly. The 1943 tragedy never got the discussion or analysis it deserved. Lots of local white people are still surprised to hear of it for the first time.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked my mother once if she remembered anything about the June 1943 Detroit Riots after I had read about it and saw these pictures. She doesn't remember a thing! Now at the time she other concerns: she was giving birth to my oldest brother in Royal Oak and her husband had just been drafted.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5239
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's brother was born at Women's Hosp., June 20, 1943. Dad had a hell of a time getting to and from the hosp. to visit with mother and son.
He was never injured fortunately. Mother was in hosp. about 9 days.

jjaba.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 831
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I have an interesting coincidence for you. My brother was recovering from a hernia operation during the '67 troubles, and the family had a hard time getting him out of there.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents actually got married in the middle of the '43 riots.

They had some pretty cool pictures of them walking out of church (St. Mary's, I think) with the National Guard out front.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 832
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa, was that the nattily attired undertaker? I remember those photos because it was a rare mixed marriage and the guy was an undertaker and had to clean up bodies downtown later that week.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, Grandpa worked at Bundy Tubing.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 834
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, what a week for a wedding. You wouldn't want to be driving a flower truck around Detroit on Jun 21, 1943.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Legacy of the 1943 Riots

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/26/black-day-july.html

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya gotta wounder what the city would be like if there had been no riots...

-Pop. close to 2 million
-companies coming to Detroit rather than leaving
-Lowest crime rate in michigan
-instead of touring the ruins of Detroit on this site, it would be a prosperity tour.

Can you imagine such a city

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice, while the riots in '43 and '67 were incredibly, incredibly destructive to the city of Detroit, it remains very unlikely that the city would not have declined to some extent anyway. The great societal and economic changes occurring between the end of World War II and today had a huge impact on the city. Even if not for the riots, huge numbers of industrial jobs would have left the city (in fact, they already had before the '67 riots), and the city would undoubtedly have lost prosperity and people.

Of course, the city would have been much better off without the riots, though, and depopulation would have occurred much more slowly.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 228
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it would probably be close to 1.2 mill more of a melting pot and declining in pop. you cannot discount the affect decentralization had on the city. As well as freeways, real estate agents, the FHA, as well as just being a predominantly a one industry city. it would be a different city though.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMan You beat me to it Good Points :-)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 962
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think one big factor though between other cities and Detroit was the lack of a center. Downtown wasn't as structured as other downtown during these riots. Most of the development during these times were sprawling AWAY from downtown rather than in for convience I believe. This is the same case today actually.

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 21, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanize on April 21, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.