Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Young Jr. sounds just like his father « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Young Jr. sounds just like his father
April 19, 2007

BY KATHLEEN GRAY

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Any question whether freshman state Rep. Coleman Young Jr. has his famous father's spunk -- and gift for salty language -- was answered in a heated exchange on the state House floor Tuesday night.

Late in the evening near the end of an 11-hour session, the son of late Detroit Mayor Coleman Young had four words for Rep. John Pastor, R-Livonia, who had complained that Democrats were throttling Republican efforts to speak about a proposal to increase trash disposal fees.

"Shut the f--- up," Young shouted at Pastor.

Rep. Jack Brandenburg, R-Harrison Township, responded: "You want to go. We can go right now."

The House sergeants at arms restored peace before the taunts got more serious.

The shout-down was one of the wildest in recent years but no match for a 1991 fistfight between two Democratic senators and an ashtray beaning in 1977 (also involving two Democrats) during a debate over legalizing marijuana.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007704190354

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that old saying...the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree? But apparently this type of behavior is agreeable to some. People like this keep getting elected.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How sad ... Jr. probably feels that his trash rhetoric worked so well for his father that he should behave the same way. Times have changed however and I don't think people will rally around him the same way. Jr. needs to remind himself of that old and so true saying,,"Treat people they way you want to be treated" A little respect most times goes a long way.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8867
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight. Coleman Young, Jr (who has no business being elected) swears and that is the headline. Brandenburg threatening to fight him is just a side note?

Add in that the article mentions it was in a heated exhange (So what else was said and by who).

Coleman Young, Jr's language is inexcusable but my money says that he wasn't the only one misbehaving.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11502
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody throw grapes?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the headline should have been: "Brandenburg wants a throw down." That's way more interesting than the F-word.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old is Brandenburg again?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5836
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why most Detroiters don't want another Coleman Young for Mayor of Detroit.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, speaking as one who is represented by John Pastor...he should STFU.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 696
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keepin' it real in the Michigan legislature. He should have said "shut the fuck up WHITEY" for added street cred amongst Detroit voters. Shit, after this, all he'll have to do is legally change his name to the REVEREND Coleman A Young Jr and the people of Detroit will elect him as King of the City for life.

(Message edited by warriorfan on April 20, 2007)

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is more about the grudge white people still hold against the Coleman Young name. Jr's slight of the tongue, or Brandendurg's thug tendencies can be overlooked. Nobody has a problem with an elected official trying to start a fight on the house floor? Interesting white people!!!!!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad people think street cred is more important than being civil and getting things done Lansing.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...you're right...I should have gone with my original thought when I posted, which was:

And how old are these gentlemen (and I use the term loosely)?? Sounds like elementary school boys fighting in the yard.

But..the cussing upset me more than the immature behavior.

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why is this newsworthy?

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our tax dollars at work !!!!
Someone should write a book about the history of clownish behaviour in the state legislature over the years.
By the way both were being classless.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not about a grudge white people have at all , rather than someone who needs a lesson in civility and respect. Regardless of race, sex etc, is sad that someone so lacking gets elected.
That goes for both parties involved. Young probably got the headline on it as he started the incident with his childish rant..Brandenburg displayed his lack of intelligence rather well by following up........

(Message edited by DetroitBill on April 20, 2007)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the son that Coleman Sr. wanted nothing to do with until the babymama showed up with a DNA test?

Detroitbill

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is the individual..

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Detroit Bill...If what you said were true, the headline would read something along the lines of "Young needs lesson in civility and respect" instead of "Young Jr sounds just like his father". Why is the late Coleman Young (RIP)even mentioned, let alone still making the headline? Insert another quarter and try again.

Thug4Life Records proudly presents the new release from J Brandenburg AKA J Burg entitled....I'll Bust Yo Ass

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mw2gs... the reason CAY was even mentioned is because it sells newspapers...

Joel Loving III (CAY Jr.s real name) may indeed have his late father's potty mouth, or he's doing it for show... time will tell.

And then there's Neanderthal politician Jack Brandenburg (my rep)... the successor to the likes of Gil DiNiello and David Jaye... anti-Detroit and anti-gay.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't need to insert another quarter there Mw, CAY is getting all the play he needs by his own actions..but then again maybe thats the strategy he wants for his purposes.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God does EVERYTHING EVERY TIME have to be a black-white/ white-black thing? Why cant it just be a people thing?

Supersport: The grape comment made me spit my coffee! TOO FUNNY! LOL Besides Im already in a good mood, I hit the lottery today for $500! Its a good day! :-)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5391
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why am I not surprised about the double-standards? It's almost like background noise to me, now.

Politicians behaving badly? Check. Another check-mark on the list of things to be expected.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joel Loving is making himself sound as stupid as the people who voted for him.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 346
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His past work at Subway has really prepared him well for public office.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian...lol! I believe he jumped right from being a city council intern to public office.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember an article about him when he was running for office and how little work experience he had.

it said that he had worked at Subway but that things "didn't work out" there for him.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully his legislative abilities are better than his sandwich-making abilities.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 675
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a link to an article saying how Jr. pronounces the city "Dee-troy-it."

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for the record, yes, sir, that's my state representative. Not like I had any choice since he ran unopposed in the general.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just found a new source of revenue...Michigan is saved: PPV!

We can take these losers from both chambers and let them have it out, the last one standing wins.

Just think of the revenue to be brought in from T-shirt & other souvenir sales? The after-market DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray sales should also be a huge money maker as well...

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Junior look like? Does anybody have a picture?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.